Pleco Problems...

I purchased two new be plecos this past Wednesday. I believe they are both male. I that think they may be fighting... The smaller one has several red, raw looking spots that might even be growing fungus. Please take a look and tell me what I need to do. Not looking forward to netting out a dead bn pleco.

Thanks.840810d8c388be458448b960bf7d05b4.jpghttps://vimeo.com/161416461

Hello,

I can't really see any wounds from the photo and the small video.  Can you point them out?  Also can you get a comparison photo of the two fish?

Males will sometimes fight depending on how they are set up.  How big/old are the bristlenose plecos?  What size is the aquarium?  How many hiding spots are available and where are they placed?  What other animals are in the aquarium?  What are you feeding and how often?

Please respond to these questions and fill in any other info, then I can help you figure out the problem. 

For right now, if you can, try and separate them (either: one to another aquarium, or with a tank divider, or by placing one in a floating plastic colander or floating fish "breeder").

Hope to hear back from you soon.

Edited by Acro

How often are you vacuuming your gravel?

I do see the marks in the video. Have you seen the other pleco attack him? Plecos are very territorial and require lots of hiding spots. Like maybe get them each their own little tunnel. Most people use those clay pots and cut them in half or buy them cut in half already as their hiding spot.

Hello,

I can't really see any wounds from the photo and the small video. Can you point them out? Also can you get a comparison photo of the two fish?

Males will sometimes fight depending on how they are set up. How big/old are the bristlenose plecos? What size is the aquarium? How many hiding spots are available and where are they placed? What other animals are in the aquarium? What are you feeding and how often?

Please respond to these questions and fill in any other info, then I can help you figure out the problem.

For right now, if you can, try and separate them (either: one to another aquarium, or with a tank divider, or by placing one in a floating plastic colander or floating fish "breeder").

Hope to hear back from you soon.

1) no idea. I bought them at petco last week. They're about the size of the plecos i bought from you last summer/the summer before.

2) the tank is 10g. They were just temporarily in there, i wanted to observe them before putting them in their permanent tanks.

3) there is only one hardscape item, on the left side of the tank. The rest of the tank is filled with hygro.

4) im feeding the betta in the tank once daily, three or four pellets.

They're now separated. I'll set up a permanent side tank for them when i get home from school and work.

How often are you vacuuming your gravel?

I do see the marks in the video. Have you seen the other pleco attack him? Plecos are very territorial and require lots of hiding spots. Like maybe get them each their own little tunnel. Most people use those clay pots and cut them in half or buy them cut in half already as their hiding spot.

I vacuum the gravel once a week. I know it's a mess... There are a lot of hygro in there and they're constantly melting.

I haven't seen them attack each other but i don't know what else could have hurt him. I didn't have much time so i just quickly set something little up for him. I'll do something more permanent when i get home.

Mine would get that way when stressed.  I would separate them.  Two males well fight in a tank that is to small and cause stress. Long before you see damage.  

Good luck.

His injuries look a lot worse. Would it be beneficial to add in .1% salt? He is in 8g of water at 22C. He has a hides hole and a plant. What can I do?

He keeps spazzing and swimming straight into the sides. Then he'll flip over and gasp for a few minutes... [emoji20]

Yes, you have them around the territorial age/size.  The 10 gal is too small for them, but it seems you have already separated them, so that's good.

When keeping bristlenose, each male must have a hide (a few more are always good to be safe).  If in the same aquarium, it is best to keep the hides on opposite ends of the aquarium.  Also, be sure they have wood to rasp on.

What are the bristlenose being fed?

His injuries look a lot worse. Would it be beneficial to add in .1% salt? He is in 8g of water at 22C. He has a hides hole and a plant. What can I do?

He keeps spazzing and swimming straight into the sides. Then he'll flip over and gasp for a few minutes... [emoji20]

They will sometimes flip over and rest, but this sounds like something else.  At this point, I would suggest joining a pleco forum.  I will suggest these three, and I'll PM you the links. They are great sources for pleco info.  I'm sure some of their experts can help you out. 

Visit:

Bristlenose World

Pleco Planet

Planet Catfish

Good Luck!

I heard that Plecos don't do too well with salt, but I'm not sure its true. Also, I'd not expect torn fins with Pleco fish. Their mouths aren't really suited for tearing fins. Nonetheless, I suspect fighting. Many people told me to only own ONE Pleco as they can get territorial. Two males probably means even more and intense fighting. Good job on separating them, maybe the injured one can recover. :(

I heard that Plecos don't do too well with salt, but I'm not sure its true. Also, I'd not expect torn fins with Pleco fish. Their mouths aren't really suited for tearing fins. Nonetheless, I suspect fighting. Many people told me to only own ONE Pleco as they can get territorial. Two males probably means even more and intense fighting. Good job on separating them, maybe the injured one can recover. :(

Plecos will tear each other's fins via breeding or chasing and I have had it happen multiple times in the past couple of years :(

Injured one is now dead... I'm hoping the other one will survive. Bringing the body back to petco in hopes of a refund. Their plecos are insanely overpriced... [emoji20]

I'm sorry for your loss :rip:

Edited by goldfishfanforever

Sorry you lost one. Now that you have just one male should do just fine.  Mine  sometimes flips over too. lol Well stay that way sometimes till food goes in the tank.

I'd not expect torn fins with Pleco fish. Their mouths aren't really suited for tearing fins.

Bristlenose plecos have detractable spiny hooks that slip in and out of their "cheeks".  They use these in fighting and as a way to prevent larger fish from swallowing them.

Catfis393.jpg

Many people told me to only own ONE Pleco as they can get territorial. Two males probably means even more and intense fighting.

Males can be kept together in harmony, I have done it many times before, however they must be given enough space, enough hiding places and enough food.

Injured one is now dead... I'm hoping the other one will survive. Bringing the body back to petco in hopes of a refund. Their plecos are insanely overpriced...

Sorry to hear that.  :(

Good Luck with the remaining one and with your visit to petco. 

I suggest getting the book: Bristlenoses: Catfish With Character by Kathy Jinkings.  It is a good resource to have around and it will cover most everything you need. 

I would not use salt to treat them.  I have tried it and all 3 of my BNs hated it and one died.  However, I recently used Seachem Paraguard at the full dosage for 14 days and they were not bothered one bit.  If treatment becomes necessary and you use Paraguard, start with 1/4 the normal dose and observe your Plecos.  If all goes well, try a 1/2 dose the next day and observe.  If that goes well, try a full dose the next day and go from there.

Edited by Jared

I'd not expect torn fins with Pleco fish. Their mouths aren't really suited for tearing fins.

Bristlenose plecos have detractable spiny hooks that slip in and out of their "cheeks".  They use these in fighting and as a way to prevent larger fish from swallowing them.

Catfis393.jpg

Many people told me to only own ONE Pleco as they can get territorial. Two males probably means even more and intense fighting.

Males can be kept together in harmony, I have done it many times before, however they must be given enough space, enough hiding places and enough food.

Injured one is now dead... I'm hoping the other one will survive. Bringing the body back to petco in hopes of a refund. Their plecos are insanely overpriced...

Sorry to hear that.  :(

Good Luck with the remaining one and with your visit to petco. 

I suggest getting the book: Bristlenoses: Catfish With Character by Kathy Jinkings.  It is a good resource to have around and it will cover most everything you need. 

Mine (that I bought from you) do this when the Goldfish try to steal their zucchini.  They never attack or harm the Goldfish, it's just for show.  They remind me of cats and dogs living in the same household.  It's very entertaining for me  :rofl

PS:  I have and recommend that book :)

Edited by Jared