• * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) less than 5
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0-8.2
  •  
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
    • * Water temperature? 76 degrees F
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 60 gallons, a year and a half
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Penguin 200 HOB and Rena Filstar Large Canister
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? once a week, 90%
    •  
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Thursday, 90%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4: one 3-3.5", two 3", and one little guy about 1.5"
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari Saki pellets, Cobalt brand pellets, and veggie pellets all mixed (soaked before feeding), a couple of times per day, frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp several times per week
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? yes, this one, 2 weeks ago
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. I just did a few maintenance rounds of Prazi in January
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Scales starting to pinecone slightly, just behind the head/pectoral fins
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom sitting, not eating

Hello again all, and thank you in advance for your help. My beginner's luck of 1.5 years of goldfish keeping with no losses wore off last fall, and apparently I am still going strong with my bad luck  :thumbdown

Today I am speaking about my newest fish, Tino. He was shipped early last month, spent 3 weeks in QT and did very well, and has been in the main tank for only a couple of weeks now.

I did a big water change on Thursday night, and yesterday (Friday) noticed one of my females had spawned. TIno is a male, and has enjoyed chasing my girls around, so I am guessing he was involved (my only other male is a teeny-tiny ranchu, and I haven't noticed spawning behavior from him in a while so I don't think it was him).

Today, Saturday, I noticed Tino hanging out near the surface for the most part early in the day, which concerned me a bit, but he ate pellets in the morning with everyone, and brine shrimp in the afternoon. Saturday night, just now, I got home from work, and he was bottom sitting. Not clamped -- dorsal still upright, but when I fed them all a small meal, he didn't move or want to eat.

That's when I noticed he is just slightly pineconing behind his pectoral fins/head, on the sides. Also his fins and head look a bit...pink-ish. You can't tell in the photo, and I don't see any streaks outside of the few that have always been visible, but, I don't know, he just looks kind of pink??

I have put him in a 10g QT tank with a filter and and airstone. I added 1 tsp of epsom salt, 1 measure of metroplex, and 2 measures of kanaplex (per the instructions on the container). As I'm reading the forums, I think I maybe should have skipped the kanaplex, but seeing as it is now 1am on a Saturday night I can't imagine anyone will respond right away. I am hoping I've caught this early enough to where he can overcome this, and I also hope I didn't blow it by over medicating off the bat (in the past with different fish, you guys have given me advice to do metro + kana, and other times just metro, so I wasn't sure. I added both because I'm not sure if this is an internal bacterial situation or a dropsy situation. That was my reasoning behind adding both.).

He actually has perked up a bit since moving to the QT, which all happened about an hour ago. He's not moving very quickly, but he's not glued to the bottom anymore. I haven't tried feeding him yet.

Here is a photo -- you can see the scales slightly raised behind the pec fin.

Please help if you can, and again, thanks in advance. Let me know if there is any more info you need!!

IMG_20160403_244602339_zpsik8s0ywn.jpg

Edited by misssmountain

Has he always had the yellow color toward the rear and on the belly?  You haven't done anything wrong in your treatment so far.

More pictures please.  We would like to see the whole fish.

Has he always had the yellow color toward the rear and on the belly?  You haven't done anything wrong in your treatment so far.

More pictures please.  We would like to see the whole fish.

Yes, he's had the yellow scales since I got him, so I believe that is just his coloring.

He is worse this morning -- more pronounced pineconing near the front, and he's just floating listlessly in the tank. He can get himself upright for a moment, but then goes back to just floating around :(

And, of course, on Sundays I have a 12-hour workday and won't be home until later tonight. I can get more photos then if he is still with us. I feel so helpless right now :(

I'm also so sad that the past 3 fish I've lost have had this happen -- perfectly fine (literally as of Friday night he was totally normal), then one day they don't look so hot, I move them to QT, start medications optimistically, and they've passed by the next day. It's also been all 3 of my newest fish, which have come from the same supplier -- I wonder if it is just a coincidence or maybe I shouldn't get fish from them anymore? :( I'm so discouraged and sad. Ugh.

He is worse this morning -- more pronounced pineconing near the front, and he's just floating listlessly in the tank. He can get himself upright for a moment, but then goes back to just floating around :(

And, of course, on Sundays I have a 12-hour workday and won't be home until later tonight. I can get more photos then if he is still with us. I feel so helpless right now :(

I'm also so sad that the past 3 fish I've lost have had this happen -- perfectly fine (literally as of Friday night he was totally normal), then one day they don't look so hot, I move them to QT, start medications optimistically, and they've passed by the next day. It's also been all 3 of my newest fish, which have come from the same supplier -- I wonder if it is just a coincidence or maybe I shouldn't get fish from them anymore? :( I'm so discouraged and sad. Ugh.

Uggh.  When pineconing comes on gradually, starting with some bloating, or maybe a little popeye, treatment often succeeds.  I have also seen the sudden onset pineconing.  I would put the fish a hospital tub with clean water, and it was dead before I had medication in there.  

I wouldn't get any more fish from that source, nor would I get any new fish from anywhere until  several months had passed without this happening again. 

• Helper

Do you want to try and treat?

If so, what medications do you have on hand or immediately available locally?

Edited by Arctic Mama

Uggh.  When pineconing comes on gradually, starting with some bloating, or maybe a little popeye, treatment often succeeds.  I have also seen the sudden onset pineconing.  I would put the fish a hospital tub with clean water, and it was dead before I had medication in there.  

I wouldn't get any more fish from that source, nor would I get any new fish from anywhere until  several months had passed without this happening again. 

Thanks shakaho, this made me feel a bit better.

Unfortunately he did pass by the time I got home from work last night. I think that is good advice to wait on adding anything new. I will revisit that idea later this summer.

I just think it's really bizarre that all 3 new fish basically went down in the same way. The first one I did not QT, but the second two I did. They did just fine in QT and seemed to be doing fine in the main tank until this happened suddenly. I have 3 fish in the main tank -- one I've had for 2 years, one for 6 months, and the other for 5 months. Previously, I have successfully medicated fish before too, which is why I've remained so optimistic.

The common denominators are: all 3 were from the same supplier (the first I made the drive to pick up, the second 2 were shipped), and with all 3, it happened immediately after spawning (2 were male, 1 was female). The fish I've had for 5 months is from the same supplier, so I do have one success from them.

I'm just stumped as to what is happening here. I'm not sure if the supplier is getting them shipped in, and they don't really get a chance to acclimate before shipping to me (would rather not say the name as they've been so nice and helpful, and I really have no issues with them except for the fact that I can't keep their fish alive!), or if my tank is bugged, or cursed, or something??? Haha

I'm just so disheartened.

Do you want to try and treat?

If so, what medications do you have on hand or immediately available locally?

Thanks Arctic Mama, I had started with Metro, Kana, and epsom salt, but the fish had passed by the time I got home from work last night :(

See my above post in response to shakaho...do you have any possible insight or ideas for what could be happening in my tank? Long story short, 3 of the 4 new fish I've gotten since December (all from the same place) have had this exact same thing happen. They'll look a little off one morning, by that night they look a bit worse, I QT them and add meds, the next morning they're pineconing, and by that night they've passed.

I'm not sure how I can figure out if it's an issue with the supplier or my tank?? More details are above. Thanks!

Sorry you lost another. Just my opinion here, though. If it is discovered that the fish being shipped to you are ill, "naming and shaming" may be a good idea to prevent anybody else from buying sick fish from there. So tragic for this to keep happening. :(

There's no way to be sure right now, but if proven that it's the fish they're sending, much like Walmart, its probably a good idea to deter people from buying from them. Maybe see if you can find some reviews or other customers and see how their fish did.

I noticed you said it may be a tank issue. Just asking, do you QT each fish separately for at least two weeks prior to adding to the main tank? If they're sick when you're getting them, it may show up during that time. If they all pass QT fine and then get sick once in main tank - I'd suspect tank issues first. Just my opinions. Might assist in rooting the issue.

I just think it's really bizarre that all 3 new fish basically went down in the same way. The first one I did not QT, but the second two I did. They did just fine in QT and seemed to be doing fine in the main tank until this happened suddenly. I have 3 fish in the main tank -- one I've had for 2 years, one for 6 months, and the other for 5 months. Previously, I have successfully medicated fish before too, which is why I've remained so optimistic.

The common denominators are: all 3 were from the same supplier (the first I made the drive to pick up, the second 2 were shipped), and with all 3, it happened immediately after spawning (2 were male, 1 was female). The fish I've had for 5 months is from the same supplier, so I do have one success from them.

I'm just stumped as to what is happening here. I'm not sure if the supplier is getting them shipped in, and they don't really get a chance to acclimate before shipping to me (would rather not say the name as they've been so nice and helpful, and I really have no issues with them except for the fact that I can't keep their fish alive!), or if my tank is bugged, or cursed, or something??? Haha

I'm just so disheartened.

I suggest you relay the information you have given here to the supplier.  Make sure you give all information you can about when you purchased each fish from them, the symptoms of the affected fish,  and also that the first fish has had no problems.  This gives them a chance to identify the source of the affected fish and stop getting fish from that source.

Most distributors import their fish from Asia, with a risk of bringing in "new" diseases with some beautiful fish.  Breeders generally keep imports in quarantine for 6 months to a year.   Retailers can't afford to do that