Everyone waiting on the WC

LOL! Awesome Fantail fan (I'm one too!). They won't be still for pics with my crappy camera, but I figured to point them all out in a video and also say their names since some of them have fancy names. Fancy goldfish? Fancy names, right? XD

Here are my babies after their water change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grKwvxs1tEU

Edited by mjfromga

:teehee

I'd like to request pics of all your fish from the side with names. I'm not sure which ones I'm going to steal who's who. :whistle

:rofl3

Take the Boo Boo fish. Shes a blue/olive Ryukin (perhaps mix). She eats well, she poops VERY WELL (and always), she loves any kind of food (including various aquatic plants). Despite her propensity to lumpy heads, she's strong, she's friendly, she's smart (never eats gravel etc), and she's even getting her looks back. She's never once had any floating issues, and she only chases the other fish A LOT. She doesn't nip at fins, though. She's very strong. She's about 8 months and 74 grams currently and growing. I'd trust her with ANY other kinds of goldfish, she can even hold her own with single tails. Expect her to mess up substrate and really everything lol

(I'm only kidding - I love my Boo Boo fish!!)

Edited by mjfromga

I can't believe how awesome Slate (AKA Boo Boo) looks. You did an incredible job with the surgery. And all your babies are gorgeous!!

I can't believe how awesome Slate (AKA Boo Boo) looks. You did an incredible job with the surgery. And all your babies are gorgeous!!

Thanks. I told Slate the Boo Boo fish (named that because her head had a gash and looked like she had had an accident AKA a boo boo) that once her head healed, I'd stop calling her Boo Boo... But it might stick!

Thanks. She is. Unfortunately, I don't think Nericon is doing so well. Upon observing them, Slate CONSTANTLY bothers Nericon (chases nonstop) and I've spotted Nericon looking pekid and also saw a semi stringy poop from her. I'm growing concerned that Nericon isn't adjusting well. No stringy poop or pekid behavior before and I think she's getting stressed. :(

Thanks. I think she is stressed. Slate has left the other fish alone and now targets only Nericon. I thought female fish were supposed to get along better than that. Slate usually only chases at feeding times, but she absolutely HOUNDS Nericon. I don't want to stress her into illness which may be the case if this keeps up.

I've seen Nericon trying to hide under the sponge filter or hovering near the top away from Slate. Shes definitely NOT the active, happy looking fish that she was before. I'm going to clean out the 20 gallon in case I decide to move her or need to treat her for something. Poor little girl.

• Helper

Is there any chance Slate is male?

My boy Tiger would leave all the other fish alone but when he was 'in the mood' he would constantly hound Cali, he didn't care about anyone else but he would always go after Cali. 

I'm 99% sure Boo Boo is female. She has the large oval vent, is slightly non symmetrical when viewed from above like female fish can often be, she has the round tummy behind her ventral fins like females, and none of the fish have ever shown breeding stars. I'm also 99% sure Nericon is female, as she has a protruding vent. I think Slate just doesn't like Nericon or something. :(

post-25299-0-21472700-1459832410_thumb.j

Me, too! I've studied the sexing chart up and down and it all points to the fish being female. Besides, if Slate were trying to breed, wouldn't she have the breeding stars currently?

• Helper

Tiger didn't always have the breeding stars when he was chasing (since Cali passed away he hasn't bothered with anyone else). At the same time Luka and Spice will get Breeding Stars but not chase. 

Kolo didn't have breeding starts when he first spawned with Stumpy either, he did get them the second time around

Gotcha. If I go near the tank, the fish aren't so bad... But if I observe from a distance, its clear that Nericon is getting the short end. Hopefully she will adjust.

Have you tried looking by Slate's side view/butt view? Have you noticed if she is an "innie" or an "outie?"

I feel like this is the easiest and earliest way to find out. While not confirmed female, I have a little tele that I was able to see her pokey-outtie butt from early on. 

Betty is a confirmed female. 

tXBe17j.jpg

Can you see that little part that pokes out just below her anal fin?

Blimp is a confirmed male

8QZD5Tm.jpg

It's harder to see, but he has an innie butt, and so do my boys with breeding stars. 

I wouldn't say that this is fool proof, and my description is far from scientific haha, but it works in their case. 

Edited by jenzaar

Gotcha. Well whatever's going on I hope Nericon gets a break and settles in. :)

Thanks. She really isn't doing well. She is worse today. She did eat, but fairly lazily so... And she's pretty mopey. I'm getting ready to treat her as ill and remove her. She doesn't seem to be getting better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wwd2coISJ0

She just doesn't look right anymore. The other fish are behaving normally and she's just kind of hovering there. I am growing worried at this point. She hasn't adjusted well and has been stressed and doesn't seem to be getting better.