How do I have snails?

The other day during a water change I found two snails.. Or maybe just one incredibly quick snail, I'm not sure :)

I know I must have brought them in with my last lot of plants, but that was 5 months ago. He was so small I find it hard to believe he's spent 5 months growing in there. How long do eggs take to hatch? Is it possible he was an egg that managed to survive the plant annihilation by my fish and has hatched recently?

I was kind of excited to have one/two snails. I named the 2nd/only one Bruce. Unfortunately I looked away for 5 minutes and he was gone. Fiona was in that area of the tank but she wasn't chewing so I'm hoping he made it to safety. I've seen no sign of him since, but then I'd had no sign of him before either!

I'm baffled by the whole thing, but enjoyed the 2 or 3 minutes I was certain of his existence :)

They must grow super super slow lol. Bruce was tiny! I hope he's still in there somewhere

Yeah they do take some time to get bigger. I have some snails that I want to get rid off, they breed a lot - and I'm still finding small snails in my tank and I remove them 2 weeks ago.

What do they look like? I'm guessing they aren't any of the more pest type snails because you would have noticed them long ago.

They are tiny, the shells about half a centimetre. Kind of ladybug size. Brown/creamy colour. I couldn't really see any patterning on the shells. I noticed the first one on my hand while I was scrubbing the tank walls and thought it was a pebble. I wasn't entirely sure it was a snail until I saw the second one (possibly the same one) on the glass and could see his little snail body and antennas.

Turns out I have plenty of snails... Im having some tank issues so I've had the fish out of the tank for 5 or so days.... There are a lot of snails lol. I think my fish might just have been eating any that were stupid enough to be visible! No wonder they're growing like mad