Sign in to follow this  
Arctic Mama

Testers needed! New medicated fish food options

Update on Ken's Fish Oxytetracycline Sinking Pellets:

I tried these to treat what appears to bacterial hemorrhagic septicemia on my Oranda (Red veins, necrosis and hemorrhages of the caudal fin).  Ken's Fish claims this food treats this condition.  After 7-days, the condition remains the same and now he has a new red blotch on his wen.  In addition, the food really clouds the water when feeding 1% body weight to a fish of this size.  I also think the residue from the food has set back my filter because I'm reading ammonia.  This brings me to my other negative review.  There are no directions on the food.  I went by a standard from texts I've read (1% body weight for 10 days).  I tried contacting Ken's fish via email, phone and through their Facebook page and got no replies.  Helen has also reached out with no success.  They also have several bad reviews on their Facebook page for poor customer service.  

So, I am switching to my old standby which is Kanaplex + Furan-2.  Hopefully, I have not wasted precious time on this food.

i think the aim would have been to use the oxytetracycline with metronidazole, since these were both combined in the metromeds. this is how i would have treated. i use the oxytetracycline hydrochloride powder with metronidazole powder and depending on the symptoms, i may add tri sulfa in with it.

using the oxy powder, i have never noticed a cloudiness to the water, so i am almost certain what is spoiling the water is the feed part of the pellet and not the medicine. a discolouration to the water since the powder has a slight yellowish tinge to it, but certainly still very clear and no cloudiness.

in your report to the report centre, you mentioned a cycle bump. i will be very honest in saying that i do not know if the oxytetracycline has an effect on the cycle since all my sick fish are treated in a QT that does not have filtration and my media has never been exposed to anything other than praziquantel.

At higher ph's the tetracycline class does indeed impact nitrifying bacteria, so this wouldn't surprise me to see the same thing with oxy :)

Kana+Furan-2 is helping after only 24 hrs.  The red spot on the wen is almost gone and the tail is better, too.  The cycle has also returned to normal.

The food part of the ingredients on Kens Oxytetracycline pellets looks loke sheer rubbish. I did notice that. My Rhonda doesn't do well with low quality foods and no doubt she would float if she ate these. Now, because this is medication, I'd just tout it as a side effect and deal with it, but I'm just saying. I fed some of these to my Boo Boo fish, who is healing from surgery and had a not of redness on her wound crop up. The redness did go away within a day or two. Idk - I've had good results with the food so far.