Sign in to follow this  
Arctic Mama

Testers needed! New medicated fish food options

US:http://www.angelsplus.com/FlakeMedAntibiotic.htm

Canadians:

http://angelfins.ca/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=21_28261

For those dealing with infections who miss Metromeds and Medigold, it has been difficult to find a substitute. I don't love flake foods but I am looking to see some tests of these as a possible option going forward so we can begin recommending a more effective medicated food that is in current production.

For most infections I'd recommend people try the Antibiotic 2 as it is broad spectrum, who is game to have some on hand and give it a go?

Edited by Arctic Mama

My fish haven't had any infections yet, but if they do get one... I'd certainly try it out! Sorry I can't be of help right now. Good luck!

Definitely worth a try.  I don't like flakes either, but I do like the idea of oral antibiotics :)

I'm willing to test it out.  Shipping's kind of pricey, so hopefully I can order it before I need to use it!

I tossed some other supplies into my order to help with the shipping - their powdered antibiotics are awesome :)

Good idea making it a larger order!

Has this been suggested yet?  I know there was a call for ideas awhile back, so maybe it's already been looked at. :idont

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/fish-food-feeders/kens-premium-sinking-pellets-oxytetracycline-25mm.html

I PM'd you some others as well for review.

Has this been suggested yet?  I know there was a call for ideas awhile back, so maybe it's already been looked at. :idont

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/fish-food-feeders/kens-premium-sinking-pellets-oxytetracycline-25mm.html

That's the one Helen likes.  I need to see what the shipping prices, policies are, but I'm interested.

That's the one Helen likes.  I need to see what the shipping prices, policies are, but I'm interested.

Shipping looks about the same for me, but the package itself is less expensive for the size.  I guess a combo order will be a good idea either way!

I've seen that one before and am game to try either, though I'm personally getting the flakes. I like and use other foods from Ken's but I believe the dosage of oxy might be lower. Not positive on that though. His other pellets require soaking to be soft enough and that can be an issue for the integrity of antibiotics and sick fish not being great eaters, but the dosing is easier and more reliable than flakes.

At this point I'd like to get a dozen or more members of the forum stocking the product, either of them, so we can begin to amass some data as fish get sick and are treated. I'm hesitant to recommend it right now due to a lack of testing so having some folks on board with trying a new-to-the-forum treatment would be great.

Did Helen indicate she'd actually used the pellets from Ken's? I'd like to hear her thoughts if she has!

I just got the 1 lb. bag of Ken's Fish oxytetracycline sinking pellets for $12.20 including priority mail shipping :nana

Edited by Jared

Now all we need is some sick fish! I'm not going to wish for that though :rofl

No, I know!  I'd like to hope I won't need it, but I know it's not too realistic...

I just read some interesting stuff about oxytetracycline, but I'm too tired to post anymore (everyone sighs in relief) I will post it later :rofl

Haha! Go to sleep and regale us with your information later. I don't get tired of technical discussions and research but I'm a bit odd ;)

Bump! If you are considering stocking your fishy medicine cabinet consider grabbing a medicated food - I'm giving them a trial run for dropsy treatment.

I've order Ken's oxytetracycline. I don't need it right now. Just adding it to my medicine cabinet.

:thumb: Edited by Arctic Mama

Helen wanted me to emphasize her support for oxytetracycline.  She says she has had success with both oral and water borne formulations (for when a fish is too sick to eat).  

Most of the literature I have read supports feeding as the preferred method of delivery.  So, if your fish will accept food, this is the best way.  Another reason for using a food rather than a water borne powder is that "calcium and magnesium bind to tetracycline and oxytetracycline rendering them inactive.  This means that with increasing water hardness (i.e., increases in calcium and magnesium levels), it is necessary to increase the dosage of these drugs in bath treatments".  So, I'm thinking it might be wise to stop the use of Epsom salt when adding oxytetracycline in powder form to the water :idont

Edited by Jared

Nericon looks pekid so figured to order the Ken's Oxytetracycline pellets in case she needed medication. Anyway, I'll have them on hand now. Helen has said she's had success with these, and I do trust her as she did help me immensely so figured I'd try them out.

So who has ordered what so far?  :idont  I'll definitely order something I just need to look at the options.

I think we have about half a dozen takers so far.

I bought the Oxytetracycle sinking pellets from Ken's Fish.  The Metro food is currently out of stock.

And I'm not as interested in ingested metro, as I think we have a good feel for how that works and what the best uses and limitations are :)

Yes but oxytetracycline and metro are 2 out of the 3 meds in MetroMeds.  I'd like to see how a combo of those 2 work . . . :idont