Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Smith

Ulcers and Fungus? HELP!

Hi I have three 2-3inch baby golsfish, two are lionheads and one is a ranchu.

Squishy the black ranchu appears to be covered in a white film like fungus and is laying on the floor of the tank.

My two girls Annabella and Angel (the lionheads) are covered in sore red patchs which I can only think are ulcers?

I've been treating them with Esha Exit and Esha 2000 because my oldest Goldie George the oranda had an outbreak of white spot. Sadly he caught the fungus and died yesterday :( :( :(

I am doing a 50% water change today, shall I start a second course of Esha 2000, it doesn't appear to be doing much :(

Here are my stats:40Gallon

3 now at 2-3inchs

Yes they are all new fish in quarentine together.

Current Water Params: ph 6.8. Nitrite and Ammonia 0, Nitrate 20ppm (due for a water change today).

No recent illness apart from this :( My George had whitespot like I told you guys before but I bought esha exit and esha 2000 and yesterday was their third day of treatment it doesn't seem to be doing much! I see no improvement.

I try my hardest to do 50% water change a week. I do my own ro and it takes such a long time I'm outside all day usually. Sometimes I can't get all of it done but I really really try.

I live in the UK and I started off using Gold Med on George and it worked to begin with but then he started getting used to it :( So I was advised that Esha products are amazing so I bought Esha Exit and then saw my other babies were developing some sort of fungus so I used the esha 2000 that I already had in my cupboard.

Please please advise me of how to save my babies! Someone advised me that using ro wasn't necessary so I plan on doing today's water change with tap water that reads:

Ph 7.4

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 10ppm

Help :(

Hi! 

I know you included a lot of this info already but filling out this form will help the mods diagnose and advise you correctly :)

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrate level(Tank) 20ppm

* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrate level(Tap) 10ppm

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.4 - 6.6

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 7.4 - 7.6

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Api Master Liquid Test Kits.

* Water temperature? Around 16 - 18C

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40 gallons runnung for three months or more

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much? 50% weekly

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, 50%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 at 2-3inches

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? RO Minerals or with tapwater I use fluval tap safe

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Gold japan every morning.

* Any new fish added to the tank? They are all new.

* Any medications added to the tank? Esha 2000 and esha exit before water change yesterday.

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Goldmed, esha exit and esha 2000.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Sore bloody patches.

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? They are very dorment at bottom of tank but swim around every now and again and are ok in themselves.

Edited by Kk.charlie

I'm sorry for your loss :(

Someone should be by to help you soon. Some photos could help as well

I'm sorry to hear that :( Hang in there, you're in the right place for help

How long did you have these fish?  A white film (fungus does not look like a film) often results from pH shock, which could result from using RO water.  I don't think this killed your fish  directly, but physiological stress makes a fish highly susceptible to parasites and pathogens. 

Please clarify the situation with your tank.  You say the tank has been running for 3 months and all the fish are new.  You also say the fish are in quarantine together.  Do you have another tank of fish?  How long have you had the fish in the quarantine tank?

You don't list a filter.  Do you have one?

I suspect the red spots are ulcers, caused by bacterial infection, and probably different from the white film.  Do you have aquarium salt or some other salt which contains only NaCl with no additives?  Do you have a 10 gallon tank or a plastic container that holds at least ten gallons?  That would be ideal for treating sick fish.  Alternatively,  you could take out the fish, empty the 40, rinse it out and put 10 gallons of tap water (plus tap safe) in the tank.  You have to do a lot of large water changes with sick fish, and no one should try to do that with  40 gallons of water.

We need pictures of the fish.  You need to upload the pictures to a host like Photobucket, and can then copy them and paste them here.

Would you please look at the packages of the medications you used and tell us the ingredients?

No I don't have another tank of fish just an empty 4ft of which the babies would have gone in to.

I think I've had them 4 weeks now, that's how long they've been in quarantine.

Yes ofcourse I have a filter, it's a corner filter that does 750lph.

I was told salt doesn't do anything :/ Should I try some? I don't have aquarium salt but I have no additive rock salt.

Rock salt will do.  Until we have some pictures, we can't diagnose, but since salt won't hurt the fish and may help, we can recommend starting with that.  Please follow the instructions here for gradually raising the salt concentration to 0.3%.  If you have any questions about the procedure, just ask.

No I don't have another tank of fish just an empty 4ft of which the babies would have gone in to.

I think I've had them 4 weeks now, that's how long they've been in quarantine.

Yes ofcourse I have a filter, it's a corner filter that does 750lph.

I was told salt doesn't do anything :/ Should I try some? I don't have aquarium salt but I have no additive rock salt.

AQ salt is extremely beneficial for goldfish keepers. If you ask around, every veteran goldfish keeper here keeps a metric ton of AQ salt due to its wide variety of beneficial uses, for example, white spot or ick. It also helps goldfish superficial wounds to heal a bit quicker like a treated and healing ulcer.

Thank you all so much! I'm sorry for the late reply had to pop to work. Will try and get you all some clear photos. Thank you for all your sympathy wishes too, really appreciate it xxx

Good.  So raise it to 0.2% in the morning.

The pics are really too blurry to diagnose anything.  Could you hold the fish in your hand and have someone take a photo or two of the red spots?  Are the red areas right on the surface or do they look like they are under the scales?

Sorry about your fish. We also need the ingredients in the medications you have. You can take a picture of the ingredients and post the photos, or post links to an ingredients list. Thanks!

This is the ingredients i could find on the boxes:

ESHA 2000
Composition / ML 

Ethacridine lactate 6.3 mg

Copper Sulphate 8.0mg

Proflavine Hemisulphate 1mg in water.

ESHA EXIT

Composition / ML 

Ethacridine lactate 6.3 mg

Malachite Green Oxalate 0.31g

Methylene blue 3.98 mg in water.

Some hopefully better pictures - 

http://i.imgur.com/HB6TPw2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/998sUga.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7ySCwdD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eGaaEaQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7N9trdl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RCEhaTK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2o9BStN.jpg

We are chatting about it on the back end. Sit tight and hopefully we can come up with a treatment plan in the next six or eight hours.

Poor fishies. Good luck with them. You're in good hands with the moderator team here.

Poor fishies. Good luck with them. You're in good hands with the moderator team here.

Thank you, and I know I'm so glad I found this place! 

Goldfish have extreme sensitivity to copper.  I learned this as a child when every goldfish I brought home died within two weeks, in spite of my diligent care.  My father talked to a fellow who kept fish who asked if we had copper pipes, particularly new ones.  We did, and the copper from the pipes killed the goldfish.  

If you have any of the ESHA 2000 in the tank, please do a 100% water change.

Right ok, thank you Sharon. I haven't added anymore Esha since a day before I did a 50% water change yesterday so shall i just do another 50% today? and do I carry on with the salt?

Continue with the salt.  I would do a 100% water change, but I probably overreact.