Sign in to follow this  
Flipper

Quinn is Pineconing :(

Please feed 32 pellets daily if he will eat, preferably divided up into multiple feeding sessions. You can do daily water changes, or you can do changes every other day to stretch it and use prime, if needed, on the off day. Your choice.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I'll be out this afternoon if you want to send me a pm with your info. :D  Good to know they are about done though.  FWIW, Franklin is on his last day of another 2 week round, and they were still effective! :)

You're super awesome sauce :bighug

Please feed 32 pellets daily if he will eat, preferably divided up into multiple feeding sessions. You can do daily water changes, or you can do changes every other day to stretch it and use prime, if needed, on the off day. Your choice.

Thinking of you and Quinn :hug

Thinking of you and Quinn :hug

If you have it on hand, consider doing a course of triple sulfa while waiting for metromeds, you can overlap the two. The triple sulfa may help arrest further development of the infection even if it cannot defeat it on its own. Is that something you'd be interested in trying if Quinn is getting worse, fast?

If you have it on hand, consider doing a course of triple sulfa while waiting for metromeds, you can overlap the two. The triple sulfa may help arrest further development of the infection even if it cannot defeat it on its own. Is that something you'd be interested in trying if Quinn is getting worse, fast?

Ok :) thanks! I think I have it!

I have a few triple sulfa tabs but i don't have the directions. How much should i put in a10 gal?

Is it the API Triple Sulfa or another brand?

I just want to mention that a new dropsy thread said that Triple Sulfa isn't an effective treatment for it and seemingly shouldn't be used. Not arguing with a moderator, but the article DID say that.

Is it the API Triple Sulfa or another brand?

Api triple sulfa

Directions for Use (Packets): For best results, remove activated carbon or filter cartridge from filter and continue aerations. For each 10 gallons (38 L) of water, empty one packet directly into aquarium. Repeat dose after 24 hours. Wait another 24 hours then change 25% of the aquarium water. Repeat this treatment for a second time, for a total of 4 doses. Then make a final 25% water change and add fresh activated carbon or replace filter cartridge. Treatment may be repeated if necessary.

These directions are just fine for covering the stop gap and inhibiting the bacteria - except that I'd replace the final water change and carbon with a 100% obviously ;). Sulfas aren't great for the kidneys but if he is declining that quickly then getting a foothold over the bacterial population causing the dropsy is more important at this point. This is also nice and broad in its efficacy.

Directions for Use (Packets): For best results, remove activated carbon or filter cartridge from filter and continue aerations. For each 10 gallons (38 L) of water, empty one packet directly into aquarium. Repeat dose after 24 hours. Wait another 24 hours then change 25% of the aquarium water. Repeat this treatment for a second time, for a total of 4 doses. Then make a final 25% water change and add fresh activated carbon or replace filter cartridge. Treatment may be repeated if necessary.

These directions are just fine for covering the stop gap and inhibiting the bacteria - except that I'd replace the final water change and carbon with a 100% obviously ;). Sulfas aren't great for the kidneys but if he is declining that quickly then getting a foothold over the bacterial population causing the dropsy is more important at this point. This is also nice and broad in its efficacy.

Mine isn't a packet but a tablet :hmm I got it from Cynthia from ECR when I got my fish from her. Maybe I'll just put one tab in :idont

It should be one tab per ten gallons, but how old is it?

It should be one tab per ten gallons, but how old is it?

:idont but I'm kinda desperate :(

Some antibiotics become toxic when expired, so it does matter. This one should be okay but consider picking up. Fresh box from the store sometime this week okay?

Some antibiotics become toxic when expired, so it does matter. This one should be okay but consider picking up. Fresh box from the store sometime this week okay?

Ok! Thanks! ;)

I just want to mention that a new dropsy thread said that Triple Sulfa isn't an effective treatment for it and seemingly shouldn't be used. Not arguing with a moderator, but the article DID say that.

I think the strategy here is to use the Triple Sulfa until the Metro Meds arrive.  Metro Meds has a sulfa in it (as well as Oxytetracycline and Metronidazole), so this will be a more safe and seamless transition than starting with something like Kanaplex and then switching to Metro Meds.  I agree with that logic  :)

Edited by Jared

And for the record I disagree triple sulfa isn't effective against the bacteria at the root of the dropsy, just that it isn't sufficient alone and by the mechanics of how it functions to handle dropsy as a sole treatment. The effects and consequences must definitely weighed carefully against the condition of the fish in question.

I know very little about medication involving fish, so its nice to have a source to see what works in different cases. I wish Quinn a swift recovery. If I ever get a fish with dropsy... I'll no doubt panic. Its so scary :(

My metro meds came today!

I'll start feeding them right now! :nana

Scratch my previous advice in this post - you shouldn't have enough discrepancy in the volume of triple sulfa that you need to continue with the waterborne version, just drop it and go straight to metromeds :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

Scratch my previous advice in this post - you shouldn't have enough discrepancy in the volume of triple sulfa that you need to continue with the waterborne version, just drop it and go straight to metromeds :)

Ok. So since I started metro meds today, I should just have metro...antibiotic in water with Epsom salt?

The bag being offered would be fine if it has been stored properly - cool and dry. I wouldn't use it past this but I've personally used metromeds up to a year opened and had no real issues regarding efficacy. That's kind of my personal upper limit though, even under ideal storage conditions. The oils in the fish meal degrade the antibiotics faster than if they were powdered and not mixed.

just would like to add to this :) mine worked well as well after being opened since I would say February or maybe even earlier of 2015 and they worked on Peaches :) I had them in their package as well as being bagged in a ziplock bag.

Good luck with Quinn Aubz! :hug:heart

Correct - metromeds and Epsom.

The bag being offered would be fine if it has been stored properly - cool and dry. I wouldn't use it past this but I've personally used metromeds up to a year opened and had no real issues regarding efficacy. That's kind of my personal upper limit though, even under ideal storage conditions. The oils in the fish meal degrade the antibiotics faster than if they were powdered and not mixed.

just would like to add to this :) mine worked well as well after being opened since I would say February or maybe even earlier of 2015 and they worked on Peaches :) I had them in their package as well as being bagged in a ziplock bag.

Good luck with Quinn Aubz! :hug

Thanks Mikey ;)