Paraguard Log

jmetzger72

Hi Everyone,

I am trying Paraguard for the first time this week for the treatment of parasites and other infections (for when salt is not the best option). In my case, I suspect a pathogen is persisting in my system and I have not been able to eliminate it with salt and Prazi.  A couple of my fish have been fighting minor fin rot on their tails and my Black Moor is a bit slimy.  My water parameters are perfect and the tank and filters are very clean.  Antibiotics work temporarily on the bacterial infection, but then it returns.  So, I can only guess that there is a parasite at the root of this.  In addition, I have Plecos and plants that are salt sensitive and I talked with a professional recently who believes 0.3% salt is not always sufficient for eliminating parasites.  So, for these reasons I am trying Seachem Paraguard.  

I also contacted Seachem and had a very nice phone conversation with one of their representatives who gave me the following information on Paraguard:

1) It should not stain your silicone, etc.

2) It is fine to use with Plecos, though they recommend gradually building up to the full dosage over a few days.  

3)  It shouldn't harm Anubias plants.

4) You do not need to turn your lights off during treatment.

5) It shouldn't kill the cycle or alter the pH.  

6) The treatment period should be at least 14 days.

We shall see....

Edited by Jared

• Helper

All of what they confirmed has been my experience. I actually treated with Malaysian trumpet snails in and they handled it well, too. Not all inverts might handle it the same but I have found it to be as effective as Quick Cure with general unspecified parasite issues and with many less drawbacks.

Thanks, Jared, for posting your paraguard goldfish journey here.

I've used paraguard on red cherry shrimp at 3/4 dose for three weeks. The shrimp did well.

I look forward to reading your future posts.

One more note...This problem has been around since before the introduction of the new fish from Dandy Orandas and DID NOT come from Ken's fish :)

Shishi wanted me to confirm that :rofl

Edited by Jared

I've used it, and it did stain my silicone.

hmmm...did you you use the dip concentration or the regular dose for immersion?

I used the regular dose right in the tank. All my fish had ich at the time. It did not stain as much as some treatments I have used in the past that stained my rocks and decor, but the silicone definitely picked up some of the blue.

I've used it, and it did stain my silicone.

hmmm...did you you use the dip concentration or the regular dose for immersion?

I used the regular dose right in the tank. All my fish had ich at the time. It did not stain as much as some treatments I have used in the past that stained my rocks and decor, but the silicone definitely picked up some of the blue.

Okay, we will see if it does the same to mine.

Jared, would you list the ingredients in Paraguard and their concentrations (if available)?

ParaGuard™ is the only fish and filter safe aldehyde based (10% by weight) parasite control product available (for parasites on fish). Unlike highly toxic and difficult to use formalin based medications, ParaGuard™ contains no formaldehyde or methanol and will not alter pH. ParaGuard™ employs a proprietary, synergistic blend of aldehydes, malachite green, and fish protective polymers that effectively and efficiently eradicates many ectoparasites (e.g. ich, etc.) and external fungal/bacterial/viral lesions (e.g., fin rot). It is particularly useful in hospital and receiving tanks for new fish and whenever new fish are introduced to a community tank.

http://www.seachem.com/paraguard.php

That's all I know.  

Edited by Jared

Tuesday, 3/29:

Added full dose of Paraguard.

Fish behaving normally.  No blue tinge to water.

NH3 = 0

NO2 = 0

pH = 7.8 (normal)

Fins looking slightly better :nana

Edited by Jared

Great updates. I am eagerly awaiting more updates because my SO's cichlid tank just had an outbreak due to her not doing QT of a new fish. I've tried the normal non-medication method of temperate and salt, but for some reason this ick bout is being very stubborn. Since my SO isn't so timely on WCs I want to use something gentler than QuickCure on her nitrifying bacteria and cannister filter, and so Paraguard is my next choice.  :whistle

Great updates. I am eagerly awaiting more updates because my SO's cichlid tank just had an outbreak due to her not doing QT of a new fish. I've tried the normal non-medication method of temperate and salt, but for some reason this ick bout is being very stubborn. Since my SO isn't so timely on WCs I want to use something gentler than QuickCure on her nitrifying bacteria and cannister filter, and so Paraguard is my next choice.  :whistle

What concentration of salt did you use and at what temperature?

81 degrees at .02% salt concentration, yeah it's stubborn

You need a salt concentration of 0.3% for ich . . .  I'm assuming you had it at 0.2%, not 0.02%.   :D

I agree.  0.2% isn't going to do it.

Wednesday, 3/30:

Full dose 2 of Paraguard.

Everybody seems happy :)

Yeah it was at .2%, just a typo. I have a huge bandage on my hand from a cooking accident so it's a bit tough to type. I did crank up the salt treatment to .3% this morning, so we shall see. I've never had this much problems with ick. I've always been able to cure it with temp and salt, but her cichlid tank is being stubborn.

Yeah it was at .2%, just a typo. I have a huge bandage on my hand from a cooking accident so it's a bit tough to type. I did crank up the salt treatment to .3% this morning, so we shall see. I've never had this much problems with ick. I've always been able to cure it with temp and salt, but her cichlid tank is being stubborn.

It will take at least a week at 0.3% to kill the Ich, and I would go to 2 weeks or 10 days after the last spot is gone.  But, make sure that the Cichlids you have can tolerate that much salt before proceeding.

It will take at least a week at 0.3% to kill the Ich, and I would go to 2 weeks or 10 days after the last spot is gone.  But, make sure that the Cichlids you have can tolerate that much salt before proceeding.

Wait, this is my thread :wa

:rofl

Thursday 3/31:

3rd full dose of Paraguard

No blue water or staining

All fish (including Plecos) behaving normally.

Plants look good.

Fins on affected fish looking better :)

Edited by Jared

• 2 weeks later...

Day 14 of full dose Paraguard:

Both goldfish and plecos still behaving normally with no noticeable stress.  

Plants look good and are sprouting new leaves.

Silicone doesn't seem to have stained much if at all.

Sponges in filter are stained blue, but I don't care.

Fins are almost completely healed.

Water parameters and cycle not negatively impacted by medicine.

Today I did a 75% wc, put new sponges in the filters and added carbon to remove any remaining Paraguard.  The big test now will be to see if the fins stay healthy or if the problem returns.  I have reversed this before with Kanaplex only for it to return soon after.  So, fingers crossed.  

It has really only been a recurring problem with Mikado, but the new fish was also affected when I added him last month.  That is why I decided to treat the whole system.  I'm going to follow this up with some Prazi rounds once the carbon has removed the Paraguard.  If Mikado relapses, I will remove him and try something else in the quarantine tank.