Sign in to follow this  
goldfishfanforever

Canister filters

So in less than a month I would like to switch to a canister filter on my 33 gallon tank and I'm wondering which to get as I have been looking at the fluval 306 and 406 but I don't know which to get or if I should get a different one all together :( any help is appreciated :D

I have a Fluval 405. I love it. Lots of room for media. Easy to clean. The 406 is the newer version. It would be more than sufficient.

I love the fluval canister, and have never owned any other brand of canister so I cannot offer a comparison.  They last a while.  My first fluval canister (405 I think) has been going strong for almost 6 years now.

I have a 306 on my 29 gal and I love it.  GPH is 300 I think, so turns it over ~ 10x/hr.  I've got one fish in there -- a 5 inch ranchu.  I clean out the filter every 4-6 weeks (media is 50% sponges, 50% bio rings) and I'm always amazed that it is always so clean, no gunk.  I am lightly stocked and only have 1 annubias plant in there, so the filter is a breeze for me to rinse out.

Depending on the type of fish you you will keep in there, a 406 may be too strong for them?  Others can offer their opinions/experience.  

I have a 406 on my 40b and it's been going for about 2 years now with 0 problems. I know there's a cult of fish keepers that swear by fluval products and I am slowly becoming a believer. It's easy to clean and very silent. I haven't had a tank crash or anything. You can adjust the flow on the cannister filter itself or you can set it up so the water is flowing out and braking on an object like a magnetic algae scrubber to cut down on the stream. I have the outflow nozzle pointed directly at my algae scrubber so that there isn't a too strong of a current.

For maintenance, I just take everything out and give it a good rinse once a month. The only thing I've had to replace in 2 years is some polishing pads and the o-ring on the cannister filter because I ripped the original one trying to remove the top of the cannister while cleaning. It could have been prevented had I been a little more gentle. Hope that helps.

I have a Fluval 405. I love it. Lots of room for media. Easy to clean. The 406 is the newer version. It would be more than sufficient.

Thank you :)

I love the fluval canister, and have never owned any other brand of canister so I cannot offer a comparison.  They last a while.  My first fluval canister (405 I think) has been going strong for almost 6 years now.

I have a 306 on my 29 gal and I love it.  GPH is 300 I think, so turns it over ~ 10x/hr.  I've got one fish in there -- a 5 inch ranchu.  I clean out the filter every 4-6 weeks (media is 50% sponges, 50% bio rings) and I'm always amazed that it is always so clean, no gunk.  I am lightly stocked and only have 1 annubias plant in there, so the filter is a breeze for me to rinse out.

Depending on the type of fish you you will keep in there, a 406 may be too strong for them?  Others can offer their opinions/experience.  

Thanks I will be housing two telescopes and my friend's weather loach which I couldn't see sit in a small tank filled with brown water :(

I have a 406 on my 40b and it's been going for about 2 years now with 0 problems. I know there's a cult of fish keepers that swear by fluval products and I am slowly becoming a believer. It's easy to clean and very silent. I haven't had a tank crash or anything. You can adjust the flow on the cannister filter itself or you can set it up so the water is flowing out and braking on an object like a magnetic algae scrubber to cut down on the stream. I have the outflow nozzle pointed directly at my algae scrubber so that there isn't a too strong of a current.

For maintenance, I just take everything out and give it a good rinse once a month. The only thing I've had to replace in 2 years is some polishing pads and the o-ring on the cannister filter because I ripped the original one trying to remove the top of the cannister while cleaning. It could have been prevented had I been a little more gentle. Hope that helps.

That's nice to know I can turn down the rate and the tank is a fluval that we have had for something like 8 years however the lid got busted so I do believe Fluval stuff is good :)

I see you are in England!!... you could save yourself a lot of money with these canisters!!..... I have 3 best canister I have ever owned!!! http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium/aquarium-filters/external-filters/aquarium-external-filter-1000-l-h/

I see you are in England!!... you could save yourself a lot of money with these canisters!!..... I have 3 best canister I have ever owned!!! http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium/aquarium-filters/external-filters/aquarium-external-filter-1000-l-h/

I was looking at them but I wasn't so sure about them :/

mine have been running for years no problems and silent!!!!

mine have been running for years no problems and silent!!!!

Cool I will take a look :)

Would this one be too much for the tank because I may be moving them to a 42 gallon eventually and I don't really wanna upgrade the filter if possible 

http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium/aquarium-filters/external-filters/aquarium-external-filter-2000-l-h/

Would this one be too much for the tank because I may be moving them to a 42 gallon eventually and I don't really wanna upgrade the filter if possible 

http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium/aquarium-filters/external-filters/aquarium-external-filter-2000-l-h/

I us that size on my 60 Gallon!!....you could consider the size below... Or point the outflow pipe at the glass to reduce turbulence!!!!!

I us that size on my 60 Gallon!!....you could consider the size below... Or point the outflow pipe at the glass to reduce turbulence!!!!!

Haha I always go for the most powerful filters :rofl I may go for the 1000 l/h and if I move them to the 42 gallon eventually I can just add an internal :)

I think if you used a spray bar on the outlet it would be OK.

I think if you used a spray bar on the outlet it would be OK.

Okay :)

I have had renas, fluvals and eheims.

I prefer eheims.  Just a personal preference thing.

They are all great.

To be honest though, I found the Eheims quieter.  I thought it was just the fan boys saying that when I read the reviews.  It really was true in my opinion.

My air pump is louder than my canister.  The aqua clear may go to soon as the water falling is loud where it is.  I have to stick my ear next to it to hear it.

The eheims have less flow but more media.  I read it was for longer contact with the media.

They also use less power.

Here is an example.  Here are the specs on my 2075:

For Tank Size: 600 l (160 gallons)

Pump Output: 1250 ltr/hr (330 gal/hr) 
Canister Volume: 9.2 ltr (2.42 g)
Delivery Head: 1.8m 
Filter Volume: 6 ltr + 0.5 (pre-filter) (1.7 g)
Power Consumption: 16 watts

I just got back from vacation.  I have a 80 gallon tank with an eheim pro3 2075, aqua clear 70 (I use strictly for mechanical/water polishing).

I have 5 goldfish ranging from 5" - 3" bodies only and 3 plecos (3", 1", 1").

I came back after 2 weeks with ammonia at 0, nitrites 0 and Nitrate high around 30 due to no water changes.

All the fish were happy and healthy...phew!

I was more than happy with the performance!

I also have the 2217 classic with I've had for 2 years and my buddy had before me running for 6 years relegated to back up.  But to this day, never a leak and still running beautifully.  People complain about how difficult it is to clean due to not having baskets.  I remedied that by using mesh bags for the ceramic rings and another for the ceramic balls.  Takes the same amount of time if not less than the my pro3 to clean.

The classics are much more affordable in the eheim line up and come with media as well.  They are known for almost zero bypass due to the design.

I also point my spray bar at the glass 45* down for a slight current but not enough to bother my fish.

I clean my filter every 4 months.  Since it is for bio only I use a sponge pre filter and it stays clean a lot longer.

Hope this helps.  Just another point of view.

I read online reviews for many filters and just said forget it, I'll try diff ones lol.

I love techy stuff like the different filter comparisons.  I even watched a tonne for youtube filter reviews just because. :)

* Oh yeah forgot to say I have heard great stuff about the sunsun filters.  Best bang for the buck.  Only issue i have read was the baskets warping from the UV light if you get that model.

Edited by Eddie

If you get the Fluval, go for the 406 and just turn the flow down. :)

Having used both Eheim and Fluval, they both have their advantages and disadvantages. Just off the top of my head:

1) My Fluval 306 is a lot louder than the 2215 Eheim I had, but that said it is still relatively quiet.

2) The Fluval is more prone to cavitation due to both hoses being on top.

3) The Fluval is a lot easier to clean. Both hoses come off one manifold instead of dealing with seperate taps on the Eheim. Cleaning the body is similar for both though.

4) When my Eheim decided to pack it in, it was unfixable. Still don't now what happened and people I know that have used Eheims for 30+ years don't either.

Edited by dan in aus

I have had renas, fluvals and eheims.

I prefer eheims.  Just a personal preference thing.

They are all great.

To be honest though, I found the Eheims quieter.  I thought it was just the fan boys saying that when I read the reviews.  It really was true in my opinion.

My air pump is louder than my canister.  The aqua clear may go to soon as the water falling is loud where it is.  I have to stick my ear next to it to hear it.

The eheims have less flow but more media.  I read it was for longer contact with the media.

They also use less power.

Here is an example.  Here are the specs on my 2075:

For Tank Size: 600 l (160 gallons)

Pump Output: 1250 ltr/hr (330 gal/hr) 

Canister Volume: 9.2 ltr (2.42 g)

Delivery Head: 1.8m 

Filter Volume: 6 ltr + 0.5 (pre-filter) (1.7 g)

Power Consumption: 16 watts

I just got back from vacation.  I have a 80 gallon tank with an eheim pro3 2075, aqua clear 70 (I use strictly for mechanical/water polishing).

I have 5 goldfish ranging from 5" - 3" bodies only and 3 plecos (3", 1", 1").

I came back after 2 weeks with ammonia at 0, nitrites 0 and Nitrate high around 30 due to no water changes.

All the fish were happy and healthy...phew!

I was more than happy with the performance!

I also have the 2217 classic with I've had for 2 years and my buddy had before me running for 6 years relegated to back up.  But to this day, never a leak and still running beautifully.  People complain about how difficult it is to clean due to not having baskets.  I remedied that by using mesh bags for the ceramic rings and another for the ceramic balls.  Takes the same amount of time if not less than the my pro3 to clean.

The classics are much more affordable in the eheim line up and come with media as well.  They are known for almost zero bypass due to the design.

I also point my spray bar at the glass 45* down for a slight current but not enough to bother my fish.

I clean my filter every 4 months.  Since it is for bio only I use a sponge pre filter and it stays clean a lot longer.

Hope this helps.  Just another point of view.

I read online reviews for many filters and just said forget it, I'll try diff ones lol.

I love techy stuff like the different filter comparisons.  I even watched a tonne for youtube filter reviews just because. :)

* Oh yeah forgot to say I have heard great stuff about the sunsun filters.  Best bang for the buck.  Only issue i have read was the baskets warping from the UV light if you get that model.

If you get the Fluval, go for the 406 and just turn the flow down. :)

Having used both Eheim and Fluval, they both have their advantages and disadvantages. Just off the top of my head:

1) My Fluval 306 is a lot louder than the 2215 Eheim I had, but that said it is still relatively quiet.

2) The Fluval is more prone to cavitation due to both hoses being on top.

3) The Fluval is a lot easier to clean. Both hoses come off one manifold instead of dealing with seperate taps on the Eheim. Cleaning the body is similar for both though.

4) When my Eheim decided to pack it in, it was unfixable. Still don't now what happened and people I know that have used Eheims for 30+ years don't either.

Sorry I kind of forgot about this thread :/ anyway thank you for all this information and it has all helped me choose what filter I will buy :). I shall be ordering the filter tonight and hopefully it will get here by next week :D

Awesome. Let us know which one and how you like it when you get it.

Ed

<')))><

Awesome. Let us know which one and how you like it when you get it.

Ed

<')))><

Will do ;) I was thinking of getting the All Pond Solutions 1400l/h filter as it is the cheapest but I would prefer a fluval or eheim but within the next year or two that just isn't possible so I will have to just go for one of the all pond solutions meaning I may actually have to but the 1000l/h one :(

With goldfish one can never be over filtered haha.

Ed

<')))><

With goldfish one can never be over filtered haha.

Ed

<')))><

That is true until there is torrential currents in your tank :rofl

That is so true.  

I had that problem as I changed my filter.  I got a great deal on a Eheim 2080 / 1200xl.  It is actually for tanks up to 400 gallons.

I also still run a sponge filter and aqua clear 70/300.

My guys didn't like the added current so like I posted earlier, I pointed the outlet holes of the sprayer back at the glass and now the current is diffused and everybody is happy!

So I ordered my filter today as there was no point me ordering yesterday or Saturday as it was a bank holiday today so nothing is sent via post today so yeah. Hopefully the filter will arrive soon :). I actually moved my new tele into my main tank and moved my 4 fry from last year into the pond with 2 other goldfish we were given :)

That is so true.  

I had that problem as I changed my filter.  I got a great deal on a Eheim 2080 / 1200xl.  It is actually for tanks up to 400 gallons.

I also still run a sponge filter and aqua clear 70/300.

My guys didn't like the added current so like I posted earlier, I pointed the outlet holes of the sprayer back at the glass and now the current is diffused and everybody is happy!

Thanks for the tip ;) this filter is for up to 600 litre tanks and my tank is a max of 130-140 litres so hopefully it won't be too bad :)

My filter arrived yesterday but I'm now wondering if I should have gone for the 2000 as the 1400 doesn't seem extremely powerful