Which are more likely to destroy plants?

Sydan67

I finally set up my new 65 gallon modified-Walstad last week, but it won't be a goldfish tank until the end of the year most likely, as I'd like the plants to have plenty of time to develop roots and fill out.  I got 8 bunches of six different types of plants (7 bunches of stem plants and one bunch of vallisneria), two amazon swords, and a large potted hygro. corymbosa.  I'll add more plants throughout the year (crypts, java fern, anubias, and more swords), but that's what I have started with.  

So I'm still trying to decide between slim-bodied goldfish (comets and shubunkins) and fantails.  

In your experience, which have you found to be more likely to decimate plants - fantails/fancies or comets/shubunkins?

Thank you!

• Helper

for me every single goldfish regardless of type has been equally (highly) likely to destroy plants. My old tele really loved t go at them..would uproot them and swim arund with them tearing them apart

It doesn't matter in the least.  Some individual goldfish will let plants grow, but they come in all varieties.

You might try getting very young fish and putting them in a tank  with plants goldfish don't like.  You might be able to develop a tank culture that avoids eating plants.

I have fancies. 4 of them. 2 Ryukins, 1 fantail, and one dinky fish who is either Ryukin or fantail or a mix. 2 confirmed not to bother plants at all, one still new and in QT but seems to have been fed lots of leafy veggies, so I'm not sure, and the I have one destructo Ryukin who destroyed all my wisteria within a day or two (she ate it) and then also tore my water sprite to bits and ot floated all over and got stuck in the filter etc. She also kept messing with the marimo moss so those ended up lost etc. as well. If you end up with even ONE plant destroying fish, you can forget any of your plants surviving. My new wisteria and my leftover water sprite are doing great while Slate (the destructo Ryukin) is healing from surgery... But I'm fairly sure all my work will be for nothing when she returns. Ah, well. At least I got to enjoy my pretty much plants for a little while. I wanted to try Val's and Pearl weed (I think its called) next but if Slate kills all my current plants, I probably won't bother.

Edited by mjfromga

A lot of those plants will have significant root systems after, say, 10 weeks. A lot of aquatic plants are very weedy.

Without any livestock, you'll want to make sure the tank is fertilised regularly, especially if you plan to add any epiphytes (anubias, ferns and moss).

Thank you, all!  I'm so glad to know one type isn't more likely to destroy plants than the other.  I'm looking forward to being able to choose whichever fish, fantail or comet/shubunkin, with which I feel a connection.  

The tank is dirted, so the plants are already doing a tonne of growing, and I know they'll grow in very quickly, but I would like to start out with different fish for the year, then eventually move over to goldfish once the tank has been set up for a while.  I'd like to enjoy my planted tank for now with some smaller fish, then will slowly switch over to the less likely to be eaten plants before starting with some baby goldies.  

I have found that when my orandas were young they would rip up plants. As they got older they stopped. I was able to float guppy grass in the tank when they were older. Then I got a young oranda. Bye bye guppy grass! When this fish gets old enough, I'll be able to put more delicate plants into the tank. For now it is just Anubias.

At what age did the plant destroying start to slow down?  

The smallest goldfish at my LFS, with which I would like to start, are about 1-1.5 inches body length for fantails and about 2 inches for comets/shubunkins; how old would you say they are when they're that size?

Edited by Sydan67

I had a similar experience to LisaCGold; my first goldfish, who arrived as a tiny baby, proceeded to massacre every plant in the 10 gallon tank I originally got for him. A couple of months later, I moved him to a mostly plantless stock water tank (100 gal with a water lily). He lived there for a couple of years with several other fish, then I moved him back inside, to a planted 75 gal. (I added plants due to sheer antsiness, while waiting 6 weeks for the thing to fishless cycle). This time, nobody ate the plants. They do nibble on the wisteria & temple plant, & there was 1 variety of sword that was tasty (but not another kind.) But the plants & fish are getting along fine together, & I have anubias, Java ferns, swords, crypts, & hygros. My fish are 2 commons, a comet & a shubunkin. So, it depends on the individual fish, & I think baby fish are more prone to experimenting with edibles. On the other hand, shakaho's idea about starting a culture of non plant eaters with younger fish has merit.

Edited by Shahbazin

I don't think that has much to do with it. Goldfish are always hungry even when well fed, as we all know. Some fish just like plants and others don't. And then some fish actually delight in merely destroying the plants, not actually eating them.

I put the delicate floating plants in last summer, and the fish were about two years old by then. Maybe they got use to being fed fish food by then and thought why bother with the plants.