Sign in to follow this  
Robin Moore

My fish has a growth on its head

Hello,

My pearl scale goldfish has a growth on its head. I believe it is a growth rather than a fungus or "ick" because it is not white and cottony, but is flesh-colored, and because it is concentrated in only one area. I think it began last October. It's getting steadily bigger and seems to be curving around and will soon start to poke my fish's eye. My fish is twelve years old. I have some pictures but I'm not sure how to post them, of if I can. 

Can people perform surgery on goldfish to remove growths like this? I'd be very grateful for any advice you can give. Thank you so much :)

Robin

Please may you fill in this form and you can post the pictures via a website like photobucket and then select the link used for forums. People can do surgeries on fish but only as a last resort as it can be risky

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Edited by shakaho

My fish recently had a growth on her head that ended up needing surgery. Good thing is, I was able to perform it myself with the help of Helen, a member here. Even better news, my fish is now healing well and doing great. You will need to post a photo or video of the fish, though :)

You will find help in filling out the form here.

I'm very impressed by a 12 year old pearlscale.

Edited by shakaho

Welcome to Kokos!!!!!

Definitely fill out the form provided, and please give us some video or upload photos of this fish as well - that goes a long way to helping diagnose the issue.

I'm interested in the texture of the lump - firm, soft, smooth, granular, pendulous, clean margins as opposed to melded with or under the skin, etc. The more pictures and detailed history the better we can help you out. White and cottony might not be a growth at all so much as a lesion, but we cannot tell without more from you.

Welcome to the forum :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

To post a picture, upload your pic to photobucket.com (or similar online photo mgmt service), then post the IMG link here.