Sign in to follow this  
Lis.

Posting for a friend - fish has gone downhill fast, wen disintegrating and pineconing

This post is on behalf of a friend, she's tried to sign up but for some reason is unable to.

Here are her answers to the D&D list, I will also post pictures of the fish

My fish began acting strange 2 1/2 days ago. He appeared lethargic and lost his appetite shortly after and I soon notice that his wen looked as though it had fungus in it. I removed him from the larger tank and placed him in qt with heat and aquarium salt. When I woke-up this morning, he was pine coning. I removed him from the aq salt and he is now in qt with Epson and metro. I noticed that his wen began to come apart this morning and his dropsy has continued. He is now in a C-shape and his wen continues to disintegrate. I am curious if anyone knows what might have happened so quickly and if you believe that my other fish are in danger.

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrate level(Tank) 20

* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrate level(Tap) 10

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

* Water temperature? 78 F

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 180 gallons 18 months ago

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 Fluval FX 6

* How often do you change the water and how much? 1x per week 90%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 1 1/2 weeks ago 90 %

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 12 medium-large fish 180 gallons

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime and Vita Chem

* What do you feed your fish and how often? 2x per day NLS algeamax and Thera A, 1x per week frozen protein, gel food as often as possible

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

* Any medications added to the tank? No

This was the fish a few hours ago image_zpspgi0fkou.jpeg

image_zpsqs9wre2n.jpeg

This is the fish now

image_zps0mvlqv3x.jpeg

image_zpsaiiwdgot.jpeg

image_zpskzedqpbo.jpeg

She has the following meds on hand

Kana, Metro, 2 types of antibiotic flakes, antiprotazoan flakes, praziquantel, dimilin.

She's also just mentioned that her UV stopped working a week or two ago. Not sure whether that could be linked in any way, but figured it may be worth mentioning

Does the fish have any lesions other than the fuzz on the wen?  I'm talking about red spots that may or may not be ulcerated?  What about discoloration under the skin?  It sounds like a local infection developed into septicemia.  Could you possibly do scrapes from the lesions onto microscope slides and get these to a lab?  Your veterinarian should be able to help.  As fast as that developed, knowing the infecting agent can help a lot.

I suggest she pull each fish from the tank and examine it for anything: lesions, ulcers, red spots, fuzz, etc.  Photograph any abnormalities and remove affected fish from the main tank.  If all of the other fish look fine, add salt to the main tank to 0.3%.

I'm reporting this, we need the whole mod team to look at it.

Thanks Sharon, I've sent her your comment, will get back to you as soon as she gets back to me

Bruce is female by the way.

This is her response

The fish has nothing at all suspicious, other than the wen. There are no discolorations or lesions of any kind. If I touch the wen, it literally comes apart in my hand. If I take a piece of the wen to the vet, what do I say?

Hope your friends Goldfish feels better.

Edited by DawnMichele

The fish has passed away. If anyone has any advice in regards to the fish in the main tank, please let me know and I'll pass the info along. She has checked all of the main tank fish over and cannot see anything suspicious or unusual on any of them

Thank you for your help, Sharon

Hun Im sorry to interrupt this conversation but, why cant she sign up?

:hi Hi Koko, when she clicks the 'create account' button it says "safari can't open the page because the server where this page is located is not responding"

:hi Hi Koko, when she clicks the 'create account' button it says "safari can't open the page because the server where this page is located is not responding"

Try using firefox or chrome hun:)

I had mentioned to Dan that she couldn't get on, and he did suggest that she download one of those, which I think she was doing but asked me to make the thread anyway as she didn't know how long it would take and the fish was in a bad way. I will ask her tomorrow whether or not it worked :)

Sorry your friend lost her fish :( I hope the rest of them remain well

The fish has passed away. If anyone has any advice in regards to the fish in the main tank, please let me know and I'll pass the info along. She has checked all of the main tank fish over and cannot see anything suspicious or unusual on any of them

As I said, salt the tank to 0.3%.  Keep it at that concentration for a week, watching the fish closely for symptoms.  Bacterial infections often start at wounds made by flukes, so I'd do a couple of weeks of prazi after the salt.   If no more fish get sick after this, I'd say they're safe.

Sorry to hear he passed away.

My one thought when reading the original post was that doing a couple 50% water changes rather than one huge 90% change might reduce the stress level of the fish.  Going from a ph of 8.2 down to 7.4 in one big water change is a big jump.   

My one thought when reading the original post was that doing a couple 50% water changes rather than one huge 90% change might reduce the stress level of the fish.  Going from a ph of 8.2 down to 7.4 in one big water change is a big jump.   

Other way hun... It starts as 7.4 and goes to 8.2. Yeah that is stressful but not as bad when it goes the other way .. I agree though with a ph like that smaller water changes are better or let the water adjust before you change it out :)

For the fish, the water is at 8.2 and then it drops to 7.4. I have no idea which way is better or worse, but the fish experience a .8 drop in pH during a water change. I try to limit it to .5.

Edited by DieselPlower

Wait, wait... I heard that a sharp RISE is worse than a crash? Koko said its the other way around. Confused!

Please give the source of this information, MJ.

While no one here advocates small frequent water changes more than I do, I see no way that a water change that has been done routinely will suddenly cause a massive bacterial infection in one fish.

Edited by shakaho

Wait, wait... I heard that a sharp RISE is worse than a crash? Koko said its the other way around. Confused!

A ph crash (meaning the ph has dropped down atleast 1ppm ) will cause a fish to have slime coat slug off. Ph going up yes can cause problems but not not nearly as bad as the PH going down hun.

I lost 3 fish to Ph dropping on them, not a pretty pic.

If it was me in this issue I would do the Jug test :)

Another member told me that. Before our tap water turned extremely weird where the pH is 8.8 or higher from the tap, it was 6.3. I had accidentally put Rhonda into the 6.3 water from about 7.6 water. She moped pretty badly until I had realized my horrid mistake. Fortunately, she survived and I've been very careful since then. Thanks for clarifying that for me. As my pH from the tap is off the charts high now, I do not have to worry about a dip in pH.