Quarantining Snails?

I've got a couple of questions about quarantining snails.  I am asking from the perspective of protecting the goldfish (rather than protecting any existing snails in the tank).  

1. Should snails be quarantined prior to putting them into goldfish tanks?

2. Can snails be carriers for goldfish bacteria/fungus/parasites?  

3. If it's possible that snails can be carriers, then would quarantining the snails for a period of time lead to the death of the bacteria/fungus/parasites since they wouldn't find a new host (fish)?  

4. If so, how long would it take the bacteria/fungus/parasites to die without a host (fish)?

I don't imagine this is a very big issue, but I was curious to hear the opinions, experiences, and research of the Kokonuts. :)  Thanks!

I've got a couple of questions about quarantining snails.  I am asking from the perspective of protecting the goldfish (rather than protecting any existing snails in the tank).  

1. Should snails be quarantined prior to putting them into goldfish tanks?

YES. A thousand times, yes.

2. Can snails be carriers for goldfish bacteria/fungus/parasites?  

It is possible, but as far as I am aware this is due to the water they carry in their shells. 

3. If it's possible that snails can be carriers, then would quarantining the snails for a period of time lead to the death of the bacteria/fungus/parasites since they wouldn't find a new host (fish)?  

Yep.

4. If so, how long would it take the bacteria/fungus/parasites to die without a host (fish)?

I generally recommend QT-ing for at least 2 weeks with daily WCs for snails. Others may have different recommendations. They do not always tolerate fluke meds, so no medication is really necessary, just do WCs as often as possible to purge them of parasites. :)

I don't imagine this is a very big issue, but I was curious to hear the opinions, experiences, and research of the Kokonuts. :)  Thanks!

Thank you Chelsea!  From now on, I will always QT snails that I purchase.

Awesome. :) And you're welcome!

QT-ing or disinfecting anything that goes into your tank is a really good habit to get into, no matter how impatient (my name goes next to that definition) you are.

Hahaha!  I am SO impatient.  Waiting 30-45 days for a goldfish in QT is SO hard for me :)  But honestly, I just hadn't even considered QTing snails.  Glad I asked, bc now I won't forget!

I've got a new goldfish purchased 5 days ago... so I've got a lot more waiting to do :)

• Helper

Yes, do QT them in warm water (78-ish is my preference to speed up the life cycle of any parasites) and keep observation for a minimum of two weeks. Four would be better.

Hahaha! I am SO impatient. Waiting 30-45 days for a goldfish in QT is SO hard for me :) But honestly, I just hadn't even considered QTing snails. Glad I asked, bc now I won't forget!

I've got a new goldfish purchased 5 days ago... so I've got a lot more waiting to do :)

I've got a 71 gram fish in a 10 gallon QT. NOT IDEAL! The other fish I got from the same lady seemed in excellent health, as did all her fish. She assured me they were all totally healthy and parasites free, and after two rounds of Prazi and salt and close examination, I decided it was safe to add the fish to the main tank. A user here who purchased from Dandy Orandas added his fish right off the bat. It all boils to individual situation, but of course there is always the ideal. If my new fish seems good after two rounds of Prazi and salt, into the main tank she goes. I will then Prazi the main tank and that should be it. Edited by mjfromga