Rees Shrimpeeeeez :-) (pic heavy)

Ree

Hi all... I thought I would start a thread for my shrimp tanks so I can keep track of their progress.  Plz bear with me I am trying to learn to use my camera better so some of the photos are not that great yet.

I have 5 tanks that are going to be dedicated to shrimpees and snails.  I have a few of boy endlers in there too at the moment too but when they are gone it will just be shrimp and snailies.

They are being fed Boss Aquaria Shrimp Crack, Shrimp Snow, fresh vegies and alder cones, Indian almond leaves, and oak leaves.

I love watching these guys and gals do their little swimming dances around the tank... watching them pic up a grain of sand, lick it all over, then throwing it over their shoulder.... I love watching their eggs grow in their ovaries (saddle), watch them develop under the mother (berried), and then see them hatch and cute little babies running around.  I love finding their little moults in the tank... one day I hope to see one shed his little skin.  I love the way their little pincers never ever stop!!!

First tank is for Red Cherry Shrimp...

It is a work in progress... not completely happy with it yet.. doesn't help that I had a Siamese algae eater in there who wouldn't touch algae but striped my plants quiet contentedly, so he has had to be rehomed.   So these shrimpees are mainly culls... I have one that is med grade red and she is very pretty... I am hoping her genes will improve the 'batch'. 

Tank 1

P1160748%202_zpstzbhdsmf.jpg

My Red girl...

P1180014%202_zpsry38m69e.jpg

I am very excited to have babys (this is the food called Shrimp Crack :teehee)...

1_zpsouljfwxr.jpg

and all the girls are saddled (you can see the eggs developing in the yellow part on her back) bar one who is berried (carrying eggs under her) so more babies soon...

P1180424%202_zpsb8qxsvhf.jpg

I had to include this photo... one cross eyed shrimpeeeeeee

P1180745%203_zpsp22ywdp2.jpg

Second tank for Orange Cherry Shrimp...

This tank has four little Orange Cherry Shrimp in there who are very shy.  I have not been able to get good photos of them yet.  I am also having trouble with algae in this tank... do a water change and two days later the water is green again... still working on fixing this one :-) it has all my leftover plants from the other tanks so its not as pretty... but the shrimpees like it :happydance  There is also a couple of endlers in there... two I think.  They are going to be moved to tank 3 this week to give the shrimpees some rest.  The Siamese Algae eater has been rehomed as he was chasing the shrimpees (BAD BOY!!!!)

Tank 2

P1160727%202_zpscfbmun20.jpg

All of the girls in this tank are saddled, but no one berried yet.... there are defiantly three girls and one who I am not sure if she is a he or he is a she... so we have to wait and see :teehee

P1180236%202_zpsai2vbrvl.jpg

The third tank....

So far this tank is dedicated to snails and the 7 endler boys.  It has been set up for shrimp though and one day when I can afford it it will have some fancy shrimp in there... not sure which yet... I am hoping for some Yellow Cherry shrimp or some Rilli shrimp and maybe some Tiwan bees... not sure which ones yet.  Depends on the funds at the time and the availability... until then the snails and the endlers will make sure the tanks cycle stays in tact... and look pretty.  I need to do some more planting in this tank too... I want to get some more anubias to make the 'tree' look prettier, and I need some more ground cover plants in there. 

Tank 3

P1160728%202_zpsyqvavupu.jpg

Snails in tank 3...

P1170982%202_zps46l7rw7g.jpg

P1170971%203_zps7eitgtzx.jpg

The fourth tank...

The fourth tank is going to be for cherry shrimp... either yellow or carbon or blue... not sure which I can get yet... I am hoping for some Carbon Rillis or some Blue Dreams... It has a few baby Red cherry shrimp in there at the moment to keep it nice and clean and some ramshorn snails too to keep the cycle all happy and the plants all happy too.  This is my favourite planted tank at the moment :9

Tank 4

P1160671%202_zps3pmqzggm.jpg

The fifth tank fro Crystal Red Shrimp...

The fifth tank has my Crystal red shrimp culls in it... I am hoping that they will be saddled soon but I have a sneaky suspicion they are all boys :undecided:  so maybe no babies in that tank till I can get them some girls LOL.  They are mostly red and white and two are a browner colour. The planting is still a work in progress as I ran out of plants till I can propagate them from the other tanks.

Tank 5

P1160674%202_zpsrnnuxliw.jpg

this shrimps name is Cherry...

P1170862%202_zpsmhfszknn.jpg

Cherry says HI!

P1170856%202_zpsejuog5wt.jpg

This is Cola

P1170844%202_zpsvgkz9bpq.jpg

Cola is showing off the clutch of Ramshorn Eggs... the clutch on the right have just hatched the day before

P1170882%202_zpsyngltdnu.jpg

So that is my little collection of shrimpee tanks.  I will keep updating as I make changes or make mistakes  :duckk: .... maybe then someone wont have to make my mistakes :P

Thankyou so much everyone :-)

Is that special shrimp gravel/soil?

The larger round cocopop looking ones is... I think it was upaqua shrimp sand... its supposed to buffer the water to 6.5ph for the Crystal shrimp.  The black sand is just pieces black galaxy quartz sand and my ph is a little high but stable for the Cherry Shrimp with this substrate.    :hi

Love the Orange cherries but won't the red and black crystals breed and create mutts that are unattractive??

Um I think that's what Cola is... a mutt!!!! :teehee .. she isn't a true black crystal.  These are my test shrimpees to see if I can handle them so I will find out... I presume they would revert to the wild brown colour of the crystal family if left... but I don't know.  They can definitely cross breed though :hi

I love your tanks and Cherry and Cola  :pease: You will be fine with the crystal shrimp!  It's all about keeping those important parameters consistent as you know and are already good at :) WC are scaring me...but I'm sure it will be fine.

I love your tanks and Cherry and Cola  :pease: You will be fine with the crystal shrimp!  It's all about keeping those important parameters consistent as you know and are already good at :) WC are scaring me...but I'm sure it will be fine.

Thankyou Liz!!! 

I have worked out a cheat method for wc.... I get a 4L icecream bucket... put a little hole in the bottom... put my finger over the hole and fill with how much water I need and the additives.... then put it over the top of the tank so the hole squirts water into the tank... is a cheat but it works!!!!

I like your sponge filters too!  Great that you can add some media to them :)

They are Biospon filters.. you might be able to get them in the US? I don't know.  I got mine from a shrimp keeper who imports them.  They might be on ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xbiospon.TRS0&_nkw=biospon&_sacat=0

I find they keep the parametres much more stable than the sponge filters and are great under an increased bioload :-)

:hi

Thankyou Liz!!! 

I have worked out a cheat method for wc.... I get a 4L icecream bucket... put a little hole in the bottom... put my finger over the hole and fill with how much water I need and the additives.... then put it over the top of the tank so the hole squirts water into the tank... is a cheat but it works!!!!

:hi

So smart!  Ahh crystals will be a breeze for you  :D