• * Ammonia Level(Tap)  0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)  0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)  0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.4/25/40
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)   6.4/25/40
    •  
    •  

• Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  Master Test Kit drops
      • * Water temperature? 74
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 45 - 3 years
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Eheim canister for 75 gallons, Aqueon for 50 gallons, 2 large sponge filters in tank
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 90% once a week
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 7 days/90 %
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 
  • 1 Tomasaba 3" sl, 1 oranda 1" sl, 1oranda 2" sl
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Give the brand, type of food (sinking/floating pellets, gel food, steamed vegetable, etc.), and how frequently you feed each. Soilent Green once a day, a second feeding of New Life Spectrum pellets, Hikary Lionhead, Super Greens or Spirulina shrimp on rotation
  • Any new fish added to the tank? the two Orandas were added about four weeks ago after a month in qt
  • * Any medications added to the tank? I did a round of Prazi this week when I started noticing the tail splitting
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  One week of Prazi when I added the Orandas
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? They are all acting perfectly normal, and besides the tail fraying, no other marks.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? None... eating like regular piggies.
  •  

My question is regarding Sunshine (the yellow Tomasaba). A few months ago I saw his tail was fraying a tiny bit, but it went back to normal. But lately, I have noticed that it started fraying again. What can be causing this and how do I treat it? There are no other signs of problems at all.

To me those look more like fin tears caused by scraping something rather than tail fraying from parasites or something. I see a spiky plastic plant. When my Rhonda had fin tears, I discovered that those spiky plastic plants were causing them. I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me. Hopefully a mod will weigh in soon.

Edited by mjfromga

I have to agree. I think those frays are from the plastic bamboo leaves. My orandas gets torn fins like that all the time. I have driftwood that periodically catches their fins. The frays heal on their own with good food and good water conditions. You can try taking the bamboo leaves out for a while to see if the fraying continues.

• Admin

All great answers. First thought that hit my mind was those plants. I had them in there years ago, and ripped tail fins. Those plants are great for fish with short tails or small fish, but goldfish with long fins it just rips them :( to sharp :(

Waaah!!!!  I never thought of that. They seem so soft and flowy  :(    Where to get nice silk plants?   But, I'm glad it's just that  :)

Thank you beautiful people :)

How about some Live Anubias?  They are very low maintenance :)

My anubias do SO well in my tank. One of them has grown 3 times in size and is sprouting new leaves like crazy, plus I almost always have a flower on one of them. They are just tied to rocks with fishing line and I'm looking to get more and some with long stilks so that they get a bit higher in the tank (I have a quite high tank)

How about some Live Anubias?  They are very low maintenance :)

I might try that  :)   I never thought of live plants for Goldies. Don't they eat them?  Can you show a picture of how you tie them to the rocks?