Sign in to follow this  
wteoh1

Raised scales, possible dropsy

I'm sorry he isn't responding well :( Dropsy is tough.

My BEST to your Goldfish.

I'd definitely recommend euthanizing him if he isn't improving, to be honest. Dropsy usually responds within a few days or your fish is toast. You can try metronidazole if it has arrived already, but it's unlikely to work.

I'm sorry, I wish I could give you a more optimistic prognosis, but at this point you're likely just prolonging his condition to no effect other than pain :(

Ugh, euthanizing him is a very tough thing for me to do. Yes, I've already expected this result to happen since very few goldies do survive from dropsy and dropsy has a high mortality rate. Yeah I already have tried metronidazole and still continuing the second dosing schedule you had adviced and I'm on my second week. This topic was started just right after I noticed my goldfish having dropsy which was early this March and yet no changes have been observed and he just seems to get worse.

I have to assume thats there is obviously SOMETHING wrong with my tank since I moved here. I am guessing during the move, negative bacteria was allowed to multiply and form in my tank (not visible). Is there a way I can disinfect it.

I've tried my very best with my beloved goldie. It sucks so much that I raised him in 2012 from the size of a small quarter to a huge fat healthy goldfish with no history of prior diseases, illnesses, or symptoms.

This is probably the SECOND loss of my goldfish since I moved here, I'm talking about my two goldies that I raised and lived a long healthy life like the first one from 2011 (that passed in Feb if you've seen my previous posts) and this one (I bought him in March of 2013). Aagain what I stated before about the possible bacteria in my tank I have to disinfect it. 

I really still want it to give it another try since I'm not finished with the dosing schedule :\

Edited by wteoh1

It's your choice - I personally take comfort in putting a suffering animal down instead of prolonging their pain, and organ failure and fluid retention is definitely painful. But even in the best circumstances it is still hard to say goodbye to a pet and only you can make that decision.

I've had to euthanize three fish in the last six months for unrelated reasons. It may be your tank or water, it may not. Sometimes, especially when you're dealing with larger quantities of stock, these things happen. If you want to nuke your system and start over then bleach or boil everything, rinse repeatedly with an chlorine neutralized like prime, and then build back up from scratch. I wouldn't personally take that route unless I had to, like I did when I dealt with columnaris, but it's not impossible.

In this case, though, I'd recommend just double and triple checking that your parameters stay level. If you have big discrepancies in your tap water maybe consider a drip/overflow water change system that is constantly cycling in fresh at a low level, to prevent the dips you get from bigger weekly water changes.

And it may be, like me, that you did nothing wrong and things just happened. Many a good goldfish keeper has had sick fish - they're a delicate and difficult species, especially as the fancies get on in age. Some are tough as nails and others just aren't.

Edited by Arctic Mama

It's your choice - I personally take comfort in putting a suffering animal down instead of prolonging their pain, and organ failure and fluid retention is definitely painful. But even in the best circumstances it is still hard to say goodbye to a pet and only you can make that decision.

I've had to euthanize three fish in the last six months for unrelated reasons. It may be your tank or water, it may not. Sometimes, especially when you're dealing with larger quantities of stock, these things happen. If you want to nuke your system and start over then bleach or boil everything, rinse repeatedly with an chlorine neutralized like prime, and then build back up from scratch. I wouldn't personally take that route unless I had to, like I did when I dealt with columnaris, but it's not impossible.

In this case, though, I'd recommend just double and triple checking that your parameters stay level. If you have big discrepancies in your tap water maybe consider a drip/overflow water change system that is constantly cycling in fresh at a low level, to prevent the dips you get from bigger weekly water changes.

And it may be, like me, that you did nothing wrong and things just happened. Many a good goldfish keeper has had sick fish - they're a delicate and difficult species, especially as the fancies get on in age. Some are tough as nails and others just aren't.

100% true. There are no such thing as a perfect goldfish keeper. Things just unexpectedly went around strangely. 

I still want to tremendously thank you and everyone who did whatever they can to help assist me throughout this intense situation. I did everything precisely the people here that instructed me on the attempt to save my goldfish. 

:grouphug

:hug Euthanizing is never an easy thing to do. Last year my favourite and one of my original goldies ended up with dropsy...it got to the point where I knew he wasnt going to make it...I got everything ready to euthanize and then just sat there crying because I couldn't bring myself to do it. He died on his own the next day. After that I had several fish dropsy last year and I ended up euthanizing each of them after the treatment failed. It never gets easier. :hug

My goldie has finally passed on this morning. Thank you all for your support. You guys did your very best to help me and so did I.

I'm so sorry for your loss.