Sign in to follow this  
wteoh1

Raised scales, possible dropsy

Hold your horses! As a volunteer I cannot be online all day and night, regardless of the time or time zone, answering fish related questions. I last checked this thread 18 hours ago and didn't see a need to give you a dosage schedule that very moment - please be patient.

With that out of the way, dose according to your water volume - so if there are twenty gallons of water you'd be doubling the package dosing.

My preferred schedule for this sort of issue is this:

Day 1: heat slowly raised to 76 degrees, 100% water change if the water isn't already fresh. Feed lightly. Two packets (or equivalent double dose) of Maracyn 2. Continue with Epsom salt at 1 teaspoon per ten gallons for the duration of the treatment, refreshing it every time you do your 100% water changes.

Day 2: dose another packet of Maracyn 2, treat water with prime if needed to control ammonia production.

Day 3: complete water change, replace Epsom, dose packet of Maracyn 2.

Day 4: dose packet of Maracyn 2, prime if necessary to maintain water quality.

Day 5: 100% water change, replace Epsom, dose packet of Maracyn 2.

Day 6: dose packet of Maracyn 2, prime water as needed.

Day 7: complete water change, no Epsom. Check back in here and let's see if we need to continue treatment.

Thanks, I just want to give you all a headsup that I will be travelling to California next Saturday and be away for one week. However, I'll be traveling by myself and my family will be able to take over and will make them recieve clear directions on continued treatment

So guys, I recieved the Maracyn 2 and KH/GH test this morning started the process right after the mail truck delievered it to me. Did a 100% water change, rinsed the sterlite, added 1 teaspoon of epsom, two packets of maracyn 2. 

Tested the GH/KH:

KH: 35.8

GH: 53.7

Seems to be higher than I expected is the KH/GH suitable for Goldfish? 

You want the KH and GH both to be at least 100...

Hope he feels better.

Thanks all. 

Its DAY 3 and I followed every advice that Arctic Mama said. Just did a 100% water change, rinsed the sterlite like mad, replaced epsom and added one pack of maracyn 2 just now.

Unfortunately he still looks the same and the pineconing is still there (it irritates me alot having to see his scales protude out and it gives me goosebumps but I still sucked it up and frequently check on him). I might be feared that I treated the dropsy late, and bacteria may have build up in the dry aquarium while I was moving so I might have to clean my aquarium like mad. 

Great news is that he is still eating normally, and pooping alot as well too. I'm sticking to feeding him with green peas. Later when I feed him I'm gonna soak the green peas with his water (epsom and maracyn 2 thats in the water already) so that the stuff would get into his system. 

IM GOING to California this Saturday and staying there until the 26th. My sister is going to be entrusted looking after him for that week and continue the treatment. After Day 7 (the day I leave) I'll need advice for continued treatment before the day I hit the plane and leave.

Dropsy is a hit or miss but it never hurts to try and put in the best effort to save him. 

Edited by wteoh1

Your kH and gH are both very low, and that can cause ph swings as well as stress to the immune system of the animal.

We can rectify that when you return home. Continue with the Maracyn 2 and if you see no improvement with with the swelling in the next few days we can increase the Epsom dose and consider hitting it with an additional antibiotic. Except in dire cases I do not like to start out that way as every intervention is an additional layer of stress for the animal, which further weakens their ability to heal, but it is sometimes necessary in order to get on top of a stubborn infection.

Hey guys I got back from California last night,

UPDATE: Unfortunately he still looks the same and is still pineconing but at the same time his continuing to eat and my sister has fed it with peas the entire time i was gone.

Need advice!!

Remind us what meds he's on and for how long he's been on them . . . .

When i was gone from the 19-26 he wasn't on any meds or epsom. He was on Maracyn 2 and Epsom schedule (listed in the first post of the topic) the entire week before i traveled. Look the posts before.

Edited by wteoh1

Any suggestion guys?

Double the Epsom dose to 1 teaspoon per five gallons and do another round of the Maracyn coupled with Metronidazole OR Triple Sulfa, your choice. The Maracyn will be a one week course, the Metro two. So when the Maracyn runs out you will continue dosing your metro for an additional week. Keep Epsom going the whole time, along with the warmer temperatures you used in the first QT treatment, okay?

To recap:

1: Two week antibiotic course as follows: Maracyn for one week as directed, Metro for the same week plus one more additional week

2: Epsom salt at 1 teaspoon per five gallons of water

3: Elevated heat

4: Continue feeding small meals several times per day and keep an eye on water quality, using prime and changing as needed to keep the ammonia below .25 ppms

Double the Epsom dose to 1 teaspoon per five gallons and do another round of the Maracyn coupled with Metronidazole OR Triple Sulfa, your choice. The Maracyn will be a one week course, the Metro two. So when the Maracyn runs out you will continue dosing your metro for an additional week. Keep Epsom going the whole time, along with the warmer temperatures you used in the first QT treatment, okay?

To recap:

1: Two week antibiotic course as follows: Maracyn for one week as directed, Metro for the same week plus one more additional week

2: Epsom salt at 1 teaspoon per five gallons of water

3: Elevated heat

4: Continue feeding small meals several times per day and keep an eye on water quality, using prime and changing as needed to keep the ammonia below .25 ppms

Thanks for the advice! I'll continue to update!

Great. Good luck!

Great. Good luck!

One question do you know where I can get  Metronidazole. And Triple Sulfa are you refering to API Triple Sulfa?

Great. Good luck!

One question do you know where I can get  Metronidazole. And Triple Sulfa are you refering to API Triple Sulfa?

Yes on the Triple Sulfa.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-Seachem-MetroPlex-fka-Metronidazole-Metro-Fish-Ich-Crypto-Medication-5g-/291713641684?hash=item43eb7cecd4:g:bqoAAOSwHxVW7Zxy

Could look on amazon too :)

The metronidazole you will find at locally owned pet stores, not big chain stores.  Or you can order online.  Just google Seachem Metroplex . . . 

The metronidazole you will find at locally owned pet stores, not big chain stores.  Or you can order online.  Just google Seachem Metroplex . . . 

Just purchased Metroplex! Hope this will help my Goldie

Fins crossed for you.  I believe the instructions say use 1-2 measures (it comes with a measuring spoon).  I'd go with 2 measures . . .

Fins crossed for you.  I believe the instructions say use 1-2 measures (it comes with a measuring spoon).  I'd go with 2 measures . . .

I forgot to mention that I purchased it on amazon, not from a local store :P so no dosage added yet

Dosage added. Wish me luck

Good luck.  And I typically assume most people have to order the MetroPlex.  Unfortunately not many of us have lfs that carry it.  :(

Keep us posted!!

Hello guys! its been a while since I'm still following the dosing schedule.

He almost died last night, he was on his side and seriously I thought he was done for.....

I found out this morning that he survived. His barely been eating and has refuse finishing the entire batch of food i fed him. 

Unfortunately the pine coning still looks the same. Anything else I can do? I know dropsy is an particularly nearly impossible symptom to recover from and few aquarists out had only had their goldfish recover from dropsy.

Luckily his still very much alive

Edited by wteoh1

I'd definitely recommend euthanizing him if he isn't improving, to be honest. Dropsy usually responds within a few days or your fish is toast. You can try metronidazole if it has arrived already, but it's unlikely to work.

I'm sorry, I wish I could give you a more optimistic prognosis, but at this point you're likely just prolonging his condition to no effect other than pain :(

Edited by Arctic Mama

I think you have given it our best shot.

Now that moderators have replied, I can too. I was going to say what they said. If he's struggling and after all this time, he's probably got very little chance. It isn't likely he will live much longer anyway. :(