Sign in to follow this  
GothSpice

Clamped fins on new fry

I was posting pictures of my new baby fry over on the new members forum, when someone informed me that my white and orange fry, Asimov, was "clamping his fins", and that could be a sign of health issues. So I've come here to ask if anyone can identify what may be wrong with him. Pictures below.

image_zpsxovjjhgz.jpeg

image_zpsrsycgt97.jpeg

image_zpsthukcxqx.jpeg

image_zpsukkpbek5.jpeg

Hello, and welcome to kokos :)

in this forum, every new thread must also include answers to the following questionnaire. this is so that we get some idea on how to help you with certain treatments, based on the environment and care that you are providing for your goldfish.

please answer all the questions below and we will look at how to help.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Hope Asimov is feeling better.

Okay, I got my water tested at Petsmart. Here's the results.

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

Ammonia is at 0

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

Nitrite is at 0.5

* Nitrate level(Tank)

Nitrate is at 20

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

Tap ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate is at 0.

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

PH is at 7.2

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Ph of tap is at 7.2, and they said it was rather chlorinated, though I condition all my water before putting it in my tank.

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

I don't know what they use at petsmart, but it was strips. I bought Jungle Quick Dip Ammonia Test Kit strips last night. They're pretty rudimentary.

* Water temperature?

Temperature is at 74.5F/23.6C

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

Tank is a 5.5 gallon, and it's been running since I got my fry roughly 3 weeks ago.

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

Tetra Whisper 10i

* How often do you change the water and how much?

At first I was doing 50% a couple times a week, but I've slowed down to about 30% once a week.

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

3 days ago, and 30%

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

2 goldfish fry, each only about the size of my little finger.

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

I condition my tap water with Tetra Aqua Safe Plus before putting it in the tank with each water change. I put two capfuls of Tetra Safe Start Plus bacteria in a few days ago, but he's had clamped fins the entire time I've had him.

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

My friend gave me some goldfish flakes to start with, I have no idea what brand. I then bought shrimp pellets, but they're too big for them to eat I think. I have Sun Dried baby shrimp from Tetra, but I've only given them that once so far. I typically feed them a pinch of flakes twice a day, and today I'm giving them their first"fasting".

* Any new fish added to the tank?

No

* Any medications added to the tank?

No

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

None

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

He seems to be missing a few scales, his tank mate pecks at him, so I put his tank mate in a temporary giant Tupperware, and left Asimov in the filtered tank. Picture below:

image_zpsnvhom2xt.jpeg

image_zps1ppmko9g.jpeg

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

He seems anxious, and spends a lot of his time hiding amongst the foliage.

That's about all I can think of! Any advice would be most welcome!

Now Asimov is flashing, and the grey areas seem to be getting larger/darker. You guys I'm freaking out here! What can I do?!

I'm going to ask a stupid question.  Does the fish have a dorsal fin?  I can't see it at all, but it may be the pictures.

I can see his dorsal, its orange and badly clamped all the way down. He's also missing a few scales it seems, probably from the flashing.

What medications, if any, do you have on hand? They look like they'd benefit from several rounds of praziquantel and .1% salt. Can you acquire PraziPro or powdered praziquantel locally?

Antibiotics like metronidazole and triple sulfa are also a good idea to have on hand, as well as something like methylene blue or an antifungal like acriflavine.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I have a local Petco/Petsmart, they may have medications there. Is there a special type of salt I should use? Is there some sort of online guide for administering these things that anybody knows of?

Go to the grocery store, go to the salt area and get this.  You need pure NaCl, without additives like the anti-caking chemicals in table salt.  The costs far less and dissolves faster than aquarium salt. You can find salt use instructions here.

You should find API General Cure at either pet store.  It contains praziquantel for flukes and the antibiotic metronidazole.  Once you have the medication, we will help with instructions, since  we don't find those on the package adequate.  You should also find Triple Sulfa there.  You might want to pick up a package to have on hand for bacteria infections.

Thank you SO much! I'll be getting off work in the next couple of hours, and will immediately go and grab those things!

Okay, so I had just enough time after work to get to my local Petco and get Aquarium Salt. They did not have API General Cure, but supposedly the Petsmart in the next town over does. So that's tomorrow's adventure. I checked the local grocery stores and Walmart, and nobody had the specific Morton salt, so like I said I went ahead and got aquarium salt. I'll start him on it tomorrow after his breakfast and a water change.

Should I do the same for the other one? He's not showing any symptoms, and he's in a separate tank, so should I just leave well enough alone until he starts going under? Or shoot for preventative medicine?

If/when you can get praziquantel, you can certainly treat both fish with it.  Unless the next town has a fish store, you probably can't get it locally, but you can get it online.

We use General Cure as an emergency medicine when someone needs metronidizole or prazi immediately and cant get them locally.  We never recommend treating a healthy fish with an antibiotic like Metronidizole.

Okay, I've got the salt and the General Cure! Gonna do a water change (as scheduled), and then start Asimov on his medicine.

Healing vibes to Asimov!

Thank you all so much for your help and kind words! I gave him his first dose yesterday, and I'm going to give his second treatment tomorrow as per package instructions. In the meantime, he's bottom-sitting in the back corner tucked away amongst the greens, just as pitiful as can be. Poor lil' fella. Here's hoping the treatment takes! I'll keep the post updated with any changes.

Don't follow the package instructions and remove the medication after 4 days.  Continue the treatment for a full 2 weeks.

I gave him one half of one package the first day (1 pack per 10 gallons, 5.5 gallon tank so one half packet), and am supposed to dose him again tomorrow night. Are you saying that I should continue the pattern of dosing him every 48 hours for 2 weeks? Can I continue with water changes? I'm concerned that his water quality will drop.

Also, I've got his salt level at 0.2%. How long should I keep it at this level?

Prepare 10 gallons of water with the medication (one packet per 10 gallons) to use for water changes that you need for water quality.  The instruction I don't want you to follow is the one that says to add fresh activated carbon (to remove the medication).   Just used medicated water for water changes for the two weeks.

Don't add any salt in these water changes.  we don't need it for now.

How's he doing?

Yes, do water changes every time you are due for a new dose, and if you need to do prime in between to keep the ammonia down you can do so. Keep the salt up, it will aid with slime coat sloughing and regeneration :)

Well Asimov's been hiding and bottom sitting today, so since it was time to do a water change anyways (and since the first plants I put in there are pretty much just a rotting health hazard), I went ahead and took everything out of the tank and rinsed it clean. I removed all the substrate because it's been nothing but trouble since day 1, and I put the larger river stones and the fake plants back in, as well as the single Anubias. I also made him a hideaway out of some shale scraps that I had previously cleaned for tank compatability. I dosed & salted the water, and slowly introduced him back to it over the course of an hour using a floating Tupperware. He actually seemed to perk up for awhile, but then went back down to the bottom to chill. So all that drama didn't seem to hurt him at least. I've left him with a piece of fresh spinach to nibble if he wants it.

Ay yi yi! What a day. And because I had to separate Kritlaq from Asimov so he wouldn't get sick as well, and all I had was my new dirted/uncycled tank, I've been having to do 70% water changes twice a day to keep ammonia at a safe level! That's CRAZY! Kritlaq doesn't seem too upset over it at least, but I'm gonna have to buy a king-sized bottle of water conditioner if things don't stabilize soon! I'm hoping the 8 or so little plants and the special anti-ammonia filter pad I've got in there will help soon. Oh, and each time I change water I add some of that bottled ammonia-eating bacteria back in. A capful or so a day. I hope things calm down soon haha!

*whew*

In my 55 gallon tank I find that this product helps my filter clear out the ammonia faster. My tap has over .5 ppm of ammonia and it seems to clear out faster if I use it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0002566YM/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

It has a bit of carbon too, but I mostly bought it for the ammonia crystals. I like it and since my tap has ammonia, it does help.

In my 55 gallon tank I find that this product helps my filter clear out the ammonia faster. My tap has over .5 ppm of ammonia and it seems to clear out faster if I use it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0002566YM/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

It has a bit of carbon too, but I mostly bought it for the ammonia crystals. I like it and since my tap has ammonia, it does help.

Hmm! That looks promising! I may have to order some. Thank you!