Urgent please help I think my fish are dying

Sumcrj

Is this ok? do the fish notice the ph dropping to 8.2 for I'm guessing about 30 min.? Don't some people add the buffer after they add there water to there tank how would they do that with there being a huge change in the ph 

I don't understand.  Did you mean dropped from 8.2?  To what?  Would they notice it?  Probably.  Will it harm them?  No. 

Once you get the nasty  stuff out of the water, you can go to 10% daily changes.  This gives approximately the same average water quality as a 50% weekly change without any abrupt changes.  The fish love it and you don't have to worry about what's coming out of your tap.

Edited by shakaho

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry if I'm confusing I'm very tired! Water changes all day no break for real! Anyway after I buffer the tap it goes to 7.4 no matter how much baking soda i add and I could put a air stone in it and Waite 48 hours it stays at 7.4 then I add it to the tank and its resting point is 8.2 then after the 50% water change with the prepped water with a ph of 7.4 it droped maby to 8.0 I take it very slow when I add it. Should I put them in this little bin with holes all in it to keep them from getting pushed around to much? For over night I guess to make me feel better it just floats in the tank and keeps the flowing water off them but there water will be staying clean from the tank around it and thank you sooooo much for all the help I do not know what I would have done without you all helping me!!!!

Edited by Sumcrj

So if there are no signs of improvement in the morning, when do I say they have suffered enough? how long do I let them go like this? they have gotten worse sence getting them out of the toxic tank. I know whatever is going on internally has gotten to be painfull so should I euthanize in the morning if there is no change? Gosh that breaks my heart to even think about I wouldn't be able to do it I would have to get my husband to! I have done everything in my power to try to make them feel better and it's just not working! ????????????

Edited by Sumcrj

I think I'm going to have to put them to sleep in peace?!???? I got up and my belly up fish well now they both are but the one that has been this whole time was sucked to the filter intake and my other fish he is trying so hard to keep himself up right but if he stops moving any he goes belly up very extra floaty. I do not know what to do they have just gotten worse and I know they are in clean water! There is nothing in the water at all I have not added any salt and I do not want to with out anyone telling me to but I gosh this is so tough????????????

I want to give them a chance if there is one! I'm trying so hard I have changed there water so many times and done everything I can! They just are not doing any better! I do not think the damage is reversible I think I don't know!???????? I hate everyone who recommended I use that stuff!!! I was trying to improve there home not kill them!!!!!! Here it a video tell me what you think! They have been in clean water for over 24 hours! Sorry the video is dark but you can see them I'm trying to keep the light off of them as much as possible and I just turned off the filter cause Mia would just get sucked to it!

Edited by Sumcrj

Only you can make the decision, and it's always hard.  I'll give you one suggestion.  Remove all but 10 gallons of water, then add 10 gallons of fresh water.  Cutting the depth in half will make it easier to swim.  

I think I will see how the day goes! I don't wanna give up too soon! I don't think I'm giving up! Just making a tough decision! I'm trying I just do not want them to suffer any more than needed

Edited by Sumcrj

Well I just went to check on them and Mia has passed away:( her belly was hard as a rock:( sense Yoshie was doing so much worse and is now belly up and showing no signs of improvement I have decided to end his suffering as well! So they can be together in fish heaven and buried together as well! ???????????? this has been the worst 3 days I have had in a wile! Thanks everyone who helped me you just don't know how much it means to me and I will be forever grateful!!!! I worked so hard to try to save them and you guys were there for me throug the million questions I had thanks so much!!!! Rip Mia and Yosh Yosh (a.k.a. Yoshie!) hope you have a big and beautiful pond in goldfish heaven!!!!

Oh, no. :( Gosh I was SOOOO hoping they made it. I'm really sorry this happened - and all because you were being a good goldfish owner and giving them a bigger home. Such a heartbreak. Poison is an awful way to go and I think you did right by Yoshie. Rest in peace little goldie friends...

Thank you! I will get more in time I have to get all new filters! Any suggestions on cleaning the tank that they were in that wasn't the poison tank? The poison tank is going to the trash!!!!

I'd just wipe down the tank they were in with diluted apple cider vinegar and then rinse well. I doubt that the poison is truly in the tank. I've always cleaned my grimy tanks with it and its been perfectly fine.

I'm sorry.  You did everything you could.

I'd just wash the tank.  I think it unlikely that any of the poison remains in the tank.  I also don't think you need all new filters, but get new filter media.  To clean the filters, you can soak them in water with dishwasher detergent for a day.  Not the packets, but plain powder with enzymes.  Like this.  I use the Walmart store brand, but I just looked it up and no store within 50 miles has it and only 3 are left online. 

The enzymes will breakdown the matrix in which algae and bacteria live so you can scrub the surfaces clean.  After rinsing , if you see any residue on the surfaces give them another detergent soak and scrub again.

I reuse just about everything.  If I redo some plumbing in a pond or filter, all of the pipes and fittings get this treatment.  They come out like new.  I would even clean the filter media, but after what you've been through, I would not expect you to do that.

everyone who can please get the word out that this GE silicone 1* that is suppose to be safe is not!!!!! it will kill your fish or make them very sick!!!!!!!!! And it is not a problem of it not curing long enough I went a week over the recommended 48-72 hours I cured for a week in a half still not safe!!!!!!

Please write up this report.

Unfortunately as another user said and is also contraindicated by the product itself, its already out there that this particular brand should not be used for aquariums or terrariums or on anything where a live animal and water mixes. You'd not think that it could be this highly toxic when dry, but seemingly it is. Big wow.

Believe it or not there are many people out there that are trust worthy that recommend this stuff! That is the only reason I used it because they say that have used it for years building them and so on with out any problems. Most recommend letting it cure for 2 days and I let mine cure for a week Ina half! I just wish I wouldn't have listened because now here I am! ????????????????

I'm pretty sure I have some of the powder site then you show! Ok thank you all so much!!!!

Edited by Sumcrj

i did a search on this product right after the start of this thread.  Actually, I found more people who said they used this stuff without problems than those who said otherwise.   However those who said otherwise said it killed their fish.  These products change ingredients from time to time, and that might explain the varied results.

I just hate it if there is a small chance for it to harm anyone's fish then I feel like it's not safe and should not be recommended! I guess the people who are recommending it hasn't lost ther fish over it either! So could I run the plastic pieces of my filter and I guess some of the filter media like the bio not the sponges they smell like they have just soaked up everything! In the dish washer with some of the powder cleaner u recommended? Or even just run everything with no cleaner in there the dish washer should sterilize everything?

Not in the dishwasher.  The plastic may melt!  

Soak them for a day in a tub or bucket with water and detergent.  The only reason for using dishwasher detergent is that it contains enzymes that are about the only thing I know that will clean off the biofilm.  After soaking for a day. scrub them thoroughly, rinse well, and soak them in clean water for a day.