Sign in to follow this  
Sumcrj

Urgent please help I think my fish are dying

Thanks, Koko.

A teaspoon is a good dose, but you could use a tablespoon if you wanted to.  It's clay and has no toxicity whatsoever.  Most people put the clay in some water and swish it until well suspended, then dump the slurry in the tank.  

The carbon is more important.

My tap ph is to low I don't think I would ever be able to do a 100% without crashing everything it is less than 6.0. Should I add salt

Edited by Sumcrj

You said earlier that you could buffer your tap water to 7.2.  

I can! I do not know what I was thinking! So after the next 50% w/c in 2 hours how often should I do them after that? I am cleaning the tank out that poisoned them and omg it stinks so bad and and there are no fish in it! There tank did not smell that bad! I'm cleaning one of the filters that was in there and it has made a 5 gallon bucket of water smell bad as well! I did run there filters in clean water for 10 to 15 min before I added it back to there tank but I'm not sure it was long enough! My oranda that is not belly up is now starting to flip but they are both still alive! So I hope all this clean water helps! I'm sure it will!

Should I add salt? I'm prepping 2 big sterilite containers!

When I just did the last 50% w/c the ph didn't change at all so should I go ahead and do another?

Yes.  The fact that the pH didn't change indicates you can change lots of water without a pH problem.  You need to get out all of the toxins.

Edited by shakaho

I can! I do not know what I was thinking! So after the next 50% w/c in 2 hours how often should I do them after that? I am cleaning the tank out that poisoned them and omg it stinks so bad and and there are no fish in it! There tank did not smell that bad! I'm cleaning one of the filters that was in there and it has made a 5 gallon bucket of water smell bad as well! I did run there filters in clean water for 10 to 15 min before I added it back to there tank but I'm not sure it was long enough! My oranda that is not belly up is now starting to flip but they are both still alive! So I hope all this clean water helps! I'm sure it will!

If the filter was on that other tank... I would take all the media in it and toss it out, make it fresh and new... Got to get all of that out of there water and system :)

I do not have the $ to buy all new media I have 2 huge filters 1 aquaclear 110 and a marineland 350 bio wheel and a sponge filter so should I take it off the tank and just set it aside for now and just do waterchanges every day if they get better? Gosh I would hate to put them through a cycle after all this????

I do not have the $ to buy all new media I have 2 huge filters 1 aquaclear 110 and a marineland 350 bio wheel and a sponge filter so should I take it off the tank and just set it aside for now and just do waterchanges every day if they get better? Gosh I would hate to put them through a cycle after all this???? And was that a yes to the salt as well? I have kosher salt and I have never added it to there tank but I don't know if it will help or not?

Edited by Sumcrj

You can set up the contaminated filters in a bucket or tote of dechlorinated water and let them run.  Change the water frequently.  I wouldn't waste cycled medium either.  The water changes you are doing in the tank with fish will dispose of the ammonia.

Edited by shakaho

Ok so for now I think I'm going to go no filters for now and I'm going to put the media out of these in some water with ammonia just so I can try to keep the cycle of it so my question is should I run the filters with the carbon that is in it now? Keep in mind that the carbon was ran in the other tank for about 3 hours or so so I don't know if it would be good to run it anyway? I am going to try to go to the pet store and get some carbon tonight

I have just gotten the filters to where I can do 1 w/c a week if I needed to but I usually do one on Friday then on Tuesday even though I could have waited! And when I cycled my filters I did not do it with the fish in I put them in a tote with daily w/c and I was able to keep the ammonia at .25 or less most of the time wile the tank cycled with fish food and poop that I scooped out of the toat! So I went to a lot to make sure there was no cycle stress:( love my water bbabies I haven't ate in 2 days because of so many water changes and stress I hope they make it! I love them sooo much!!!

Get some carbon and run a filter with just carbon in the fish tank.  The purpose is to remove organic toxins.

Run the other filter with the biomedium in it in a tote.  The purpose here is to clean the biomedium while keeping it cycled.   Add a bit of ammonia, but no more that 2 ppm. You don't need a lot of water in the tote, just enough so you have water going through the filter.  That way you can change the water regularly.  Add some extra baking soda to see if it will help clear the smell. 

Any change in the fish?  We do get attached to our little water piggies.

I believe the one that has been belly up has improved a bit before if I flipped her back over to the correct position she would just float back up and right back to belly up. Now she is still going right back to belly up but I got some tail wiggle as well as some fun movement! The one that is not belly up he may be doing better as well he was going belly up but only did it twice and not any more sence. I'm super excited that she swam upside down but she did a little swim! Is tags a good sign I assuming it is? Question about the carbon I should run it even though it has been in the contaminated water I do not have any clean carbon and do not know if I will be able to get any

There is no way for me to keep all the media I'm just going to have to put some media in the bucket with no filter and hope that the bacteria survive I have the filters crammed full of media and if I need one to run carbon than I have to put the rest all in one and there is no way

When should I do another waterchange? And I just took all the media out and got some water out of my tropical fish tank (that is having no problems except need ing a small w/c cause nitrates are higher than I'd like) and I put them in that water in a bukett with the sponge filter for oxigen cause the bacteria need the oxigen so maby this will keep them alive I have no ammonia in a bottle except some with soap and lord only knows that I would never add that! I'm just putting the carbon I have in even though it had been used in the toxic water it wasn't to long I gave it a very good rinse and sniff it didn't smell so it is all I have

Edited by Sumcrj

Now that I have all the media out and in a buket by its self it does not smell like all the other things do. Should I do another water change now?

Edited by Sumcrj

I believe the one that has been belly up has improved a bit before if I flipped her back over to the correct position she would just float back up and right back to belly up. Now she is still going right back to belly up but I got some tail wiggle as well as some fun movement! The one that is not belly up he may be doing better as well he was going belly up but only did it twice and not any more sence. I'm super excited that she swam upside down but she did a little swim! Is tags a good sign I assuming it is? Question about the carbon I should run it even though it has been in the contaminated water I do not have any clean carbon and do not know if I will be able to get any

Yes, the news on the fish show promise.  You can run the used carbon.

There is no way for me to keep all the media I'm just going to have to put some media in the bucket with no filter and hope that the bacteria survive I have the filters crammed full of media and if I need one to run carbon than I have to put the rest all in one and there is no way

The biomedia doesn't stink any more?  Then put some in the fish tank filter.  Nitrifiers are a lot tougher than most people think.  

When should I do another waterchange? And I just took all the media out and got some water out of my tropical fish tank (that is having no problems except need ing a small w/c cause nitrates are higher than I'd like) and I put them in that water in a bukett with the sponge filter for oxigen cause the bacteria need the oxigen so maby this will keep them alive I have no ammonia in a bottle except some with soap and lord only knows that I would never add that! I'm just putting the carbon I have in even though it had been used in the toxic water it wasn't to long I gave it a very good rinse and sniff it didn't smell so it is all I have

When did you do the last change? The bacteria will be fine.

The last water change was about 2 hours ago. I have these tubs around my house every where with water! Just in case I am doing my best I really hope they will be ok! So I have done 2 50% water changes today!

The last water change was 2 hours ago and I have done 2 50% so far and am wating on go to do another what do you think? The water is not smelling like decaying fish just fishy now

I just saw a amazing sign I think I hope! My belly up fish that was not moving any fins at all this morning just swam th the bottom she was upside down but she swam for the first time all day! I can not believe it! I actually have prepared myself to loose her cause she looked dead but still breathing when I flipped her she would not move or even try to right herself and she just swam to the bottom upside down she went right back up but omg I have hope now! All this work may pay off!

Yes do one.  Have you tested pH after the water change?  Just curious about it.

Yes it is still at 8.2 I have been checking it constantly even in the middle of the water changes. So my ph in the tub of water is at 7.4/7.6 it is at the high end on the low ph test kit and the low end of the high ph test kit. Ok I can't get the water above 7.4 in the tub no matter how much baking soda I add so I just add just enough to get it to 7.4 but after I add it to the tank it always goes up to 8.2 even if I add a air stone to the water I fix is this ok do the fish notice the ph dropping to 8.2 for I'm guessing about 30 min.? Don't some people add the buffer after they add there water to there tank how would they do that with there being a huge change in the ph

Edited by Sumcrj