Is Aqua Master Koi Food Good for Goldfish?

Shahbazin

I got a free sample bag (I think it's about 100 grams) of the Aqua Master Koi Food (Wheat Germ) med. size pellets, & I just wanted to check with fish folks before I gave it to my goldfish (all are good sized single tails, easily capable of eating med. pellets).

This is what the food's description says:

Aqua Master Wheat Germ Enhancer Koi Food 

Features:
*Fresh wheat germ and krill greatly increase koi appetite in low water temperatures.
*Astaxanthin and organic minerals enhance anti-oxidation and result in more brilliant and vibrant scale colors.
*Enriched Nucleotide enhances koi immunity
*Easily digested and reduces water contamination
*Primarily a Floating Pellet, although after water saturation the food will begin to sink

Ingredients:
Premium Fish Meal, Krill Meal, Wheat Germ, Molasses Yeast Powder, Lecithin, Soybean Meal, Wheat Flower, Fish Oil, Stabilized Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Copper Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Selenium Yeast, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Antioxidant

Guaranteed Analysis:
*Crude Protein; 38%
*Crude Fat; 4%
*Ash; less than 12%
*Crude Fiber 3% *Moisture; Max 10%

Premium Fish meal is a good first ingredient. Krill meal and wheat germ are good too. So yes, this isn't a cheap low quality food. I would alternate it with your other foods, your fish will most likely welcome the change. The fish oil is a nice touch, I add that to my gel food too.

Edited by mysterygirl

• Helper

It's a great brand and very reasonably priced, but some of the pellet types are floating and I believe the koi is one of them. Their sinking goldfish food is very popular overseas and not as horribly priced as Hikari, but you may need to grind it up or soak it for a long time to prevent the pellets from persistently floating at the surface.

You have a good food there.  

I don't understand the fuss over floating pellets.  My fish, including the fancies, get floating koi pellets exclusively and I wouldn't extract the soluble nutrients by soaking, make a mess by grinding, or overwork by making gel food.  I do have some small koi pellets that I mix in with the medium size so first-year babies get something easy to swallow.

Food/digestion related floatiness virtually never happens in long-bodied goldfish.