New guy, poor petstore health with odd looking mouth, excessive yawning and "choking" type movements

Sieta

Hi guys it's me again.

My husband and I are setting up another tank, plus currently looking for one huge 180+ so when I was in the pet store last week and feel in LOVE with this teeny tiny baby goldfish... him and his companion came home with me in an impulse buy.

I knew it was going to be rough sailing.... I knew he was sick from the start, he was already clamped, being continually harassed by a tank mate and sharing his home with several already passed away and severely bottom sitting tank mates. But he pulled my heart strings and I couldn't bear the thought of him either dying in there or someone buying him just to stick in a bowl...

So I brought him and his friend home and pulled out a spare 20 (filled halfway for now while medicating) grabbed a sponge out of one of my healthy established tanks and into quarantine with 1% salt and prazipro and his recovery battle was started. The problem is I'm out of top level tank stands so for observation on him I have to be laying on a cold concrete floor in my basement and with my own health problems I haven't been able to monitor him as closely as I should.

The observations I've seen are for the first week (had them a week today) they have both been extremely skiddish running and hiding behind the sponges.

So hard to tell if they are bottom sitting severely or just afraid I'm the goldfish monster coming to snack on them.

They have both been clamped.

He has a split/frayed tail but so far clean edges still.

At least one of them has been eating because some and eventually all of the food I was putting in was disappearing.

There are a mixture of healthy poops and white and hollow poops in the tank (not sure who is who or both)

Both have very red gills

Starting to see some redness at the base of their "arm fins" sorry I always forget proper anatomy names.

Today I am finally starting to see some improvement in

his tank mate, the white matte scale which seems to be doing much better now, is unclamping today and both came out to eat in front of me today!!

I'm noticing a definite growth in size from the white matte guy, not so much from this guy.

And today when he was hiding behind the sponges he darted out to grab a bite of food... And immediately start to act like he was choking. My first thought was the pellet was too big but afterwards he actually came out while I was laying there and when his mouth did go back into a rest position it looked odd like it was only half closing. Every so often he would start yawning again and grab some more food but even as he was grabbing more food he still held his mouth odd and would yawn and breathe excessively.

Keep in mind his is very and very shy so it's quite had to get a good look.

My initial plan was to start the second prazipro/salt round today. In light of this should I go with levisole/furan 2 and kanaplex instead? And pick up the prazi next week?

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level - 0

* Nitrite Level - 0

* Nitrate level - 0 10<

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank 6.6

* Ph Level, Tap

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API master kit

* Water temperature? 68-69

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? QT 20 gal filled halfway for meds, 1 week exactly

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Double barrels airdriven sponge

* How often do you change the water and how much? Haven't yet, usually 60-75% weekly

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 1 week, new water

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fancies maybe an inch body

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Mixture of NLS Thera a, Algae Max pellets and Rhapsody's gel

* Any new fish added to the tank? The two in question

* Any medications added to the tank? 1% salt, prazipro

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Salt and prazi, one week

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as. Bloody armpit areas, red gills, odd looking mouth.

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom sitting

Pics and video to come.

I'm sure the moderators will be with you soon, but I wanted to clarify: you say you have 1% salt in the tank. Do you mean .1% (1 tsp per gallon of coarse salt or .75 tsp per gallon of pickling salt)?

Such cuties! A moderator and/or disease assistant will be by soon. Can you put a heater on their tank and slowly increase the temperature to 72-74 F? The warmer water will help boost their immune system during this healing time.

• Helper

Continue treating for flukes. That's usually what causes the inflamed looking pectoral fins and gills. The little guys may well have an infection brewing from the pet store stress and husbandry issues as well, especially with their poor color and corner sitting behavior.

Ideally, if you have metronidazole on hand we can do a two week course of that and resume the prazi after treatment. If you don't have it on hand give me a rundown of your other antibiotic options and we can work with that. Metro is mildly antiparasitic so that's why we prefer it in these cases. With the mouth issues and everything else the flukes are looking to be the culprit but sometimes treatment gets complicated by a weak fish and opportunistic bacteria moving in.

As far as antibiotics on hand I have some Tetracycline left, kanaplex and furan 2.

I can run down and get some general cure or erythromycin from the store if need be. And I have amazon prime for 2 day shipping If it's not something I can find local.

(Which I did just order another heater, where they were an impulse buy I didn't have one on hand yet and hadn't been too concerned without any signs of ick, didn't realize warmth would boost their immune in general.)

• Helper

Go with General Cure then, it's the best suited of the list for this particular issue and has metronidazole as a component. You'll likely need two boxes if you're using a ten gallon qt.

• Helper

With Prazipro you need to discontinue treatment of anything else. Let the prazi go until tomorrow and then do a water change and begin your schedule with the general cure. When that antibiotic course is over you can resume prazi treatment.

Edited by Arctic Mama

• 2 weeks later...

This little guy I thought was recovered, he was unclamped, swimming around, eating and his mouth looked normal again... Then yesterday he took a sudden nosedive. When I woke he was being blown around by the airstone on his side, his mouth was back caved in and he passed shortly after :(

The white one still looks well.