Legarthic Fish has me worried

fancyblackgold

Concern is growing for my RW ranchu Walter. He was floating around in the tank today with his head pointing toward the bottom of the tank and his tail to the top. So I put him in my bowl that I had my lionchu in before. I put in some food twice, but he hasn't eaten anything. Plus he fights only very little when I hold him. The stomach seems bloated near his tail.

Tomorrow I will do a WC and add the last round of medication to the tank.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there! What meds do you have available? I'm thinking of a full metro round and paraguard to cover the parasitic bass and any secondary infections, and treating everyone given the multiple fish showing symptoms.

If you'd like we can reserve the metro for the fish with active ulcers and lethargy and not treat any fish still soaking normal or with no external symptoms, but I'd like to paraguard them all.

ParaGuard has arrived, should I add this along side the other medication?

• Helper

You need to add one or the other but not both at once. A full water change or back to back partial water changes, whatever suits your tank/tap parameters, is going to be necessary between the treatments. I'm not sure we can do much without antibiotics of some sort but it sounds like in the less affected fish the treatments are alleviating the irritant/parasite/unidentified thingy :)

I'm sorry your chu is lethargic! Treatment and clean water is crucial. If you do decide to switch to the paraguard please do a minimum of a week of treatment, or however long it takes for symptoms to disappear plus another three days.

I'm doing a switch soon from the pond medication to ParaGuard with a big water change. Can I add my snails back into the tank with ParaGuard? Should I give the fish a salt bath while I change the water? Haven't added or used salt during this process.

I'll ad some new pictures of the fish that I'm worried about.

Mostly it is my pandamoor Theodora, she keeps getting zits on her head and now a wound has appeared near her gill on the body and it does not look great! With the first round of treatment her zits went away, then they came back after the second round and now after the 3 round, there are more than before plus one on the body. I will provide multiple shots of this. She also has very red tips of her tails along with red streaks.

The other fish are more active and looking much better. So that is very good. But very worried about Theodora.

• Helper

Keep the snails out with the paraguard. It shouldn't hurt them but just in case....

No salt needed either :)

Unfortunately she is the one likely in need of antibiotic treatment because of those bacterial cysts, but you may have luck with the paraguard assisting. It's not its purpose but it may be enough to give her immune system a leg up.

I found a way around the problems I was having with adding photos here.

Theodora, my pandamoor and the issues that she is having.

Her tail looks like this:

e4_TsXwKTGjUEt_nCPw__EcOEW1RLoXKxZsWQpIq

twcDFjhU8KevCbJfhuIJKMJkPvccxUVnnkNvQV1f

In the last photo you can also see where her top fin broke a few weeks ago.

Her head and the cysts looks like this, but there are less of them now. The day before I took these, there where more and they looked a lot worse:

7fNQkFaTg2rOpqnLAFddjmNK1-HO4PBnhbjVRdu28__-j2WAKlQkMeNVsaD1IFLBcJIVREg1e39EDVOp

The ones that worry me the most are the ones on her body near the gills. They were very red and looked very bad.

Jackie my other pandamoor has a lot of red streaks, plus a bit of redding near the tips of her tail and fins:

hGtw-QbQwhuR5syooexqiApmzc3jn1SCo3FjcRp2wJOHtzy9uOPfqOPlbMvgB2FQ01AHA5dmtC-n7AH8

She has a few cysts on her head:

8fv3BRUEONwuSIO2oIF9TcvSWklms151zksqCDYFPlus a very red throat:

i4CoL8bVDl4en1qmHcriPcgduxrW-1EnHlCYmHoo

My R/W ranchu Walter is very inactive still and he has a few signs that worries me:

fnJugm3cL0_GERsxREXeR4f27QmUdYutscusiFeobB_YqOLo4NN1eF2-kZJJBTYjndifgfOrGo7nEhzW

QpoLaQ4f2PxHyaLl3eMCeZxcllp9vDlNJ5eIZjRF

My kirin ranchu also has these:

KsDLYOrI9zjXu2mMNq4xglzMic13xKQRUbjfiR_h

My lionchu Maxx still has one weird red spot on him:

SWIm8A6Lvf-hucpvGBkWbo2pmWseRiJWkeRrOHrt

My lionhead Lio often gets black spots on his wen:

cfTDb7MJ8LGXKZv91JOpMA6JcUWKh-78gBVvDfgo

Test strips are pretty inaccurate. Drop kits are much better. When all the fish in the same tank get sick all at once, it may be some kind of waterborne issue. Do they have API Master Test kits over there?

How are they doing?  How's Walter?  Hope everything is getting better.

Walter had a big red spot under his chin from being at the bottom so much that I set up an QT for him, giving him salt and Fish Protector with daily WC, after a few days, it has completely healed up and he is back to pooping normally. He will return soon to the main tank, but just giving him a few extra days to be in "perfect" health again.

Rest of the fish are doing well, still a bit of red in Theodoras and Jackies tails, but slowly fading. There isn't any "zits" left and all are happy eating, pooping and swimming :)

How are they doing?  How's Walter?  Hope everything is getting better.

Walter had a big red spot under his chin from being at the bottom so much that I set up an QT for him, giving him salt and Fish Protector with daily WC, after a few days, it has completely healed up and he is back to pooping normally. He will return soon to the main tank, but just giving him a few extra days to be in "perfect" health again.

Rest of the fish are doing well, still a bit of red in Theodoras and Jackies tails, but slowly fading. There isn't any "zits" left and all are happy eating, pooping and swimming :)

Really glad to hear that! :)  Funny I have never been so exited by poop until I goldfish :teehee

I spoke way too soon. Things have taken a turn for the worst possible outcome.

After adding Walter back to the main tank, the cysts came back on Theodoras head, Lio has white/bloody spots on his wen again and was a bit inactive and generally the health of all my fish was worse. So I remove Walter to QT and added ParaGuard to the main tank - it seems to be going better.

But Walter is in a very very very VERY bad state. His entire wen is falling apart! Big red areas and the wen is slowly coming out of these areas. He has scales coming loose too. Not moving, not eating and not doing well.

I have him at 0,2% salt and with FishProtector in QT.

I've ordered some antibacterial powder (called yellow powder) from Holland and hopefully he will hang in there until it arrives. But if he gets any worse, I think I have to put him down.

• Supporter

can we get photos of walter's wen please? also, if we can get a refresh of information:

what meds were recently used:

and:

• Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
  • * Nitrate level(Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
  • * Nitrate level(Tap)
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

I went out after writing my last post for a few hours and came back to him being much worse, so I put him down.

Just to show how bad it was:

20160329_142738.jpg

20160329_142650.jpg

Part of his body was also "rodding" away and scales were raised and falling off.

SIP Walter

oh noes :( i am so sorry, but i truly believe you made the right decision to euth. hugs to you, hun  :hug

Yeah I talked it over with the wife (who has her own goldfish) and we deemed it too late to fix him. I will treat the main tank with the antibacterial powder to be on the safe side. Thank you for all the help.

• Admin

After adding Walter back to the main tank, the cysts came back on Theodoras head, Lio has white/bloody spots on his wen again and was a bit inactive and generally the health of all my fish was worse. So I remove Walter to QT and added ParaGuard to the main tank - it seems to be going better.

But Walter is in a very very very VERY bad state. His entire wen is falling apart! Big red areas and the wen is slowly coming out of these areas. He has scales coming loose too. Not moving, not eating and not doing well.

I've ordered some antibacterial powder (called yellow powder) from Holland and hopefully he will hang in there until it arrives. But if he gets any worse, I think I have to put him down.

If you can find it you can get some Colloidal silver ... We could use that till the other stuff gets there.:)

If you can find it you can get some Colloidal silver ... We could use that till the other stuff gets there. :)

Don't think you saw it, but I had to put him down... he was very ill