Sign in to follow this  
Butterfly

Optimal siphon size/length for sand bed

I have a rather long siphon, 24" and 2" wide. My tank is a 75g and 18 inches high. It seems like some of my fish poops are a bit heavy as my siphon isn't doing so well pulling them out of the water column.

What size/length siphon do you use? I used a smaller caliber one but that just sucked up the sand and all. I'm thinking maybe if I shorten it it might do better?

I use my Python for just changing the water.... then I have a short hose that is just for sucking the debris of the bottom... I also have a bucket that I use with that hose.... :)

I bought the Aqueon with 25' hose at PetCo. Works fine.

I'd be interested to know as well.  I have the same issue with the same size siphon on my Python.  I even use the Eheim vacuum but it still won't pick up the poop.

I believe it's from the fish ingesting the sand and mixing in their poop.  Makes it heavy.  Never had this issue with gravel.

Just like Koko, I use a python just to swap out water and I use this to clean my sand substrate: 

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Water-Cleaner-Siphon-Vacuum/dp/B00W97UYHG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1456607353&sr=8-8&keywords=aquarium+siphon+and+pump

It sucks up some sand, but as long as you have the extra attachment on it, it will limit how much sand is sucked up. Since I use the bucket to do substrate cleaning, after I'm finished I just take the bucket to the sink and rinse the sand substrate in the bucket and return it back to the tank.It's also great at sucking out bigger chunks of algae or fish poop. 

Thanks all.

Howl long/wide is the sucker attachment on the pythons?  Looking at the product that Alexloo11 posted I'm thinking that if I cut mine down it might do better.  Here is the picture of the one I am using now.  It's huge. 

IMG_0351.JPG

The attachment is about 15 inches on my Python. Definitely try a shorter attachment.

I use a similar method to Koko. Short section of hose and bucket for debris removal, and then a submersible pump for the water change.

Great. Thanks all. I didn't want to go cutting it up without hearing what works for others first.