Sign in to follow this  
SarahLee7

Do goldfish get lonely?

I have two goldfish, one has been very sick for months (refer to my post in goldfish disease forum). While I'm not giving up on my sick goldfish, I have been thinking lately about the possibility of if she passes on. My other goldfish would be the only fish in the tank. My question is:do goldfish living alone get lonely, or are they okay to live alone? It may seem like a silly question, but I want my goldfish to be happy if my other one dies. And I really don't want to buy another one if he'll be happy alone because I don't have the heart to replace my sick baby.

Goldfish often show  signs of distress when you remove a fish from their tank and even more often if you put them in a tank by themselves.  No one could say for sure how much this resembles human loneliness.  

A fish in one of my ponds exhibited bottom sitting and extreme lethargy, so I put him in a tub by himself and treated for flukes and infection.  After he appeared healthy, he still displayed little activity.  So I finally put him in a tank with another fish and he stopped moping and swam around with enthusiasm.

Goldfish in general like social interactions,  but  some live happily in a tank alone for years.

I agree with the above post. Goldfish are schooling fish. I have witnessed this in a huge pond I maintain for a customer of mine. I notice in my own 125 gallon tank that the 5 goldfish are almost always together in a space no bigger than a 20 gallon aquarium.

Thank you both for your answers! This was extremely helpful. In the sad event my goldfish dies, I will get another for my other goldfish to have as a "friend'. :)

One time one of my fish needed to be put into QT for treatment. The other fish was quite inactive and did not move around much until they were reunited about two weeks or so later.