Sign in to follow this  
210 Oranda

Is this what popeye looks like ?

How long did you do the metro/triple sulfa combo?

Kanaplex is extremely hard on the kidneys.  The build up of fluid in popeye and/or dropsy is due to the kidneys not working properly/effectively.  If an organ is already struggling, I avoid any meds that are hard on them.

If the metro/triple sulfa isn't strong enough, I would go with metro and oxytetracycline . . . .

2 weeks of metro(powder), triple sufla & epsom..

(12 days to be exact)

Where to find oxytetracycline ??

Edited by 210 Oranda

Hope she gets better soon!!!!

Hope she gets better soon!!!!

Thanks!.. me too

I however have the feeling that she's already in a "critical zone".. (who knows :no: )

Oh, no. I'm sorry. She did look as if she was getting worse on your last update. I'm pulling for the little girl.

Lisa.. the fish just got super pineconed..

Is oxytetracycline same as TC Tetracycline ???

If so, I don't have any with me and I don't think she'll make it tonight..

Is kana a lethal weapon for her at this point or should I give it a try ????

Thanks for the help

You put her back into the main tank? I thought she was supposed to stay in the hospital tank until advised to be placed back into the main tank. Arctic Mama insinuated that the nitrate issues in the main tank might have had something to do with this, so I wouldn't have put her back into the main tank with the popeye still present.

I'd have kept her in her own clean water (lots of water changes) until advised to do something else for the popeye. I'm not a moderator or professional but I have been told not to add a fish back to the main tank until their issue clears up.

Sorry moderators if me saying this isn't appropriate, but its what I was told to do by a moderator when treating my fish and I figured it may be okay to pass it along here.

Any updates? How is she doing?

Ugh, I'm so sorry for your loss! Your have the toughest time keeping stock around and I think it might be worth making a thread of your whole system and water source so we can try and troubleshoot in full detail where things might be going wrong. Having so many fish get sick over the last year is NOT normal and there may be something happening that can be addressed to give them a better shot.

Here is some oxytetracycline you may consider having on hand, to answer your previous inqhttp://www.angelsplus.com/MedsAntibiotic.htm?qty=1.00&sub=32.75&shp=0.00&dis=0.00&vch=0.00&tax=0.00&tot=32.75&unt=0.8&sd=

Good luck to you and post in the water quality or general section if you decide to have us help troubleshoot the whole system. :grouphug

Edited by Arctic Mama

Sorry. :( She did look as if she wasn't getting any better. I agree with Taryl, losing so many in such a short time is awful. Do you think that it could be more of the source of the fish rather than his own tank quality?

Your have the toughest time keeping stock around

I don't know..  I have 3 GF from LFS that have been with me for over a year..

Even with all my "mess ups" I've been able to manage and keep them happy..

Two of them had dropsy, we overcome that and they're still w/ me

Im trying to understand how did you get to the conclusion that "my water source" isn't adequate for GF.. ??

There's several local GF stores and fish keep selling..

I was in the impression that my KH and GH was better than average for GF keeping.. but I might be wrong

Lately, I've been trying a different quarantine method given to me by one of the "seniors" here and it has been the less stressful (for me & fish) so far

Edited by 210 Oranda

Sorry if I got any information wrong - I was remembering you had very hard water and had big pH drops, from the stress symptoms and various QT issues you've had. I might be misremembering! If you want further help that's the route I'd take and I'm glad to hear some of your crew are thriving - yay!

I just posted a new thread about testers for medicated goldfish food. For dropsy and related symptoms I'd recommend having some on hand and giving it a try if you're interested. If this comes up again that would be my recommendation - to feed a full course of that and see if we can't nail any dropsy right out of the gate. The question I was asking in relation to your system is what may be contributing to the ill health of fish whereby they're becoming susceptible to bacterial infections. More than one every few years or in a newly quarantined fish is very unusual in a system of adequate size and filtration, which is what my brain was mulling in the previous post. If I'm way off base then just ignore my advice :)

But the medicated food? That's a rec I'm hoping I can get a dozen or so fish keepers on here to take, so we can gather some data as fo the efficacy of the treatment and potentially add another good medicine cabinet recommendation since Rick went out of business and Metromeds stopped being produced. Make sense?

Edited by Arctic Mama

I was trying to edit above but I was late..

I think you're right Taryl.. I've make so many mistakes that I have over-stressed the fish and perhaps kill them

I won't even tell you how many fish I've lost through the years - sometimes they just croak, sometimes it's husbandry, I've had both and it's an ongoing learning experience. Like I said, you can ignore me if its not helpful but I want this to be a fun hobby for you, not one where you're constantly stressing *yourself* or losing beautiful stock to some mystery issue. So if Kokos can help you go through your entire system, husbandry, routines, and equipment, it might be worth a try. It's a lot of work for you and us but it may be worth it.

If you can help me tear the medicated food let me know on that thread and we can implement it if dropsy and pop eye comes up in your tanks again, or other symptoms of a bacterial infection. It's your choice but we are here to help as we can and this is something I think might show promise :)

I would like to suggest something....Since we have had many problems in this tank. I would like you to get the simple Silver and place some in the tank. Let it cycle though and kill any kind of bacteria in the filters? or tank.

I would like to suggest something....Since we have had many problems in this tank. I would like you to get the simple Silver and place some in the tank. Let it cycle though and kill any kind of bacteria in the filters? or tank.

Have never use Colloidal Silver but I have 2oz of 500ppm.. & tank is a 125G..

How much you want me to use ???

I assume the silver stays in the tank permanently, right ?

Have never use Colloidal Silver but I have 2oz of 500ppm.. & tank is a 125G..

How much you want me to use ???

I assume the silver stays in the tank permanently, right ?

Yup you let it run in the tank for 24-48 hours. It will wipe out all bad bugs that are bacterial :)

Cool 500ppm is what I like. Since we got a 125 tank I would like you for now to add 10 drops in there.. Let is cyce through.

Then let me know in 24 hours how things are going :)

HOw you doing hun?

HOw you doing hun?

Everything looks the same.. thank you!

Not stress or abnormalities on the fish

However.. they ALL gulp for air for long periods of time, which it didn't happen before

but I don't think that's related to the silver

Today is water change day.. should I redo silver ???

HOw you doing hun?

Everything looks the same.. thank you!

Not stress or abnormalities on the fish

However.. they ALL gulp for air for long periods of time, which it didn't happen before

but I don't think that's related to the silver

Today is water change day.. should I redo silver ???

Yes lets do another round :)

how are we ?

how are we ?

All good.. thank you

They all are super active

I don't know if the silver did something or if the City's water changed but I was having issues with cloudy water

(even when having large UV sterilizer) and after the second round of silver the water just cleared..

Edited by 210 Oranda

how are we ?

All good.. thank you

They all are super active

I don't know if the silver did something or if the City's water changed but I was having issues with cloudy water

(even when having large UV sterilizer) and after the second round of silver the water just cleared..

Awesome hun. :)

WOOOT!!