Sign in to follow this  
arrburr

Fish Swimming Sideways and Upside Down

Hey all,

Today I came home and noticed my butterfly telescope swimming around weird and looking like she was getting pushed around by the current of my filter. I was standing far away and I'm not 100% sure but I think I saw her get sucked rip up against the filter and get stuck for a second.

Basic Background:

I got 3 fish and two of them (including the butterfly telescope) were quarantined together and another was quarantined by itself. For 2.5 weeks I had both tanks at .3% salinity. My tanks weren't cycled so I was doing daily water changes too. After this, I proceeded to do 2 weeks/cycles of Prazi treatment for both tanks. After 2 cycles I did a big water change and added all 3 fish together. I continued to do Prazi treatments for an additional 2 cycles.

Seeing how the fish seemed perfectly fine and normal, I decided to finally add my tank decorations, sand substrate and rocks. I also cleaned out my filter (in old tank water) and readded my carbonated filter. I tested my water on Monday and noticed the tank seemed to have slightly uncycled. The Ammonia was at .25ppm and so was the Nitrite. I did a 70% water change that day.

Today is the first time I noticed any unusual behavior, and I once again tested my tank and it was at .25ppm and so was the nitrite.

The other two fish seem fine, but the butterfly telescope seems to be out of whack.

Here's a video of her swimming sideways and upside down. Notice her top fin looks a little limp.

https://vid.me/2QqB

* Ammonia Level(Tank): .25ppm
* Nitrite Level(Tank): .25ppm
* Nitrate level(Tank): 0ppm
* Ammonia Level(Tap): .25ppm
* Nitrite Level(Tap): 0ppm
* Nitrate level(Tap):  0ppm
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7.8
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7.8

Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops: API Test Kit Liquid
* Water temperature: 78F
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running: 29g
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s): Aquaclear 70 (300gph)
* How often do you change the water and how much: Twice a week (50-60%)
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change: Yesterday (70%)
* How many fish in the tank and their size: 2.5" Ranchu, 2.5" Telescope Butterfly, 1.5" Ryukin
* What kind of water additives or conditioners: Seachem Prime
* What do you feed your fish and how often: Twice daily (Hikari Sinking Pellets)
* Any new fish added to the tank: All three were purchased within the past 2 months (see description above)
* Any medications added to the tank: None 
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment: See description above
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus: Dorsal fin not erect
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.: Looking like it is exerting a lot of energy to swim, swimming sideways/upside down (see video)

Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.

Edited by arrburr

I'm heading off to bed but I will help you tomorrow morning if another helper or mod doesn't jump on :). Hang in there and have a good night!

Edited by Arctic Mama

She just looks floaty to me, but I'm not a professional. Hope she gets better. A mod will be along soon. Good luck!

Cute fish!!

I would start by fasting for 2-3 days.  How long after eating did you take this video?

I agree that sort of swimming is very much like my tele I had to put down recently due to swim bladder issues. If they're congenital you may have longer term problems if they're getting worse as the fish matures, but I agree it could just be some constipation exacerbating things and fasting is the first good step.

Consider acquiring and maintaining a duckweed supply as well, fresh and soft plant foods do wonders for the fishy digestive system :)

Cute fish!!

I would start by fasting for 2-3 days.  How long after eating did you take this video?

It was about 1 hour maybe?

I agree that sort of swimming is very much like my tele I had to put down recently due to swim bladder issues. If they're congenital you may have longer term problems if they're getting worse as the fish matures, but I agree it could just be some constipation exacerbating things and fasting is the first good step.

Consider acquiring and maintaining a duckweed supply as well, fresh and soft plant foods do wonders for the fishy digestive system :)

How long should I fast them for, and should I fast all the fish?

I also have some Repashy Soilent Green, but I've been too lazy to make it so I was feeding them the pellets. I'll get around to making that for them.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Edited by arrburr

I'd fast for 3-4 days and see if the floatiness improves. Then the repashy is an excellent choice, along with duckweed or hulled/unshelled cooked peas. If you can use duckweed I think we all prefer that in treatment for constipation and definitely ditch fhe pellet altogether or soak them if you're not already. The repashy, long term, is a superior food for floaters than most staple pellets. But if you do supplement dry foods in just soak them for a minute or so before serving snd don't over feed that one :)

I'd fast for 3-4 days and see if the floatiness improves. Then the repashy is an excellent choice, along with duckweed or hulled/unshelled cooked peas. If you can use duckweed I think we all prefer that in treatment for constipation and definitely ditch fhe pellet altogether or soak them if you're not already. The repashy, long term, is a superior food for floaters than most staple pellets. But if you do supplement dry foods in just soak them for a minute or so before serving snd don't over feed that one :)

Thanks I'll do the fast.

Just a quick update. I fasted the fish for 3 days and then switched to just feeding the soilent green. All the upside down and sideways swimming has seemed to stop. It seems like it was an issue with the food I was feeding them before. Thanks for all the help!

I just now need to figure out how to prevent it from making my tank water so green and cloudy!

Yay!

Regarding the soilent green making your tank green and cloudy, are you "cooking" the food enough so that it gels properly? The reason I ask is because I use SG and I don't experience this unless I don't heat the water enough for the food to properly bond.

Along the lines of what LisaC said, how are you preparing your repashy? Boiling water or microwave?

I'm using a water boiler and I boil the water and add it to the powder mix. Maybe I should try microwaving it instead.

I'm using a water boiler and I boil the water and add it to the powder mix. Maybe I should try microwaving it instead.

Make sure the boiling water is at the peak, meaning it has cooled down too much, before adding it to mix. Microwaving the water and powder is also good. You'll need to test how long before it gets too overlooked (boiling for too long). When I microwaved, just when it started to boil, maybe a couple seconds more, I would take it out of microwave.

Make sure the boiling water is at the peak, meaning it has cooled down too much, before adding it to mix. Microwaving the water and powder is also good. You'll need to test how long before it gets too overlooked (boiling for too long). When I microwaved, just when it started to boil, maybe a couple seconds more, I would take it out of microwave.

Is there an easy way to tell if I've overcooked it?

I would say if the gel gets too rubbery. It should hold together well enough but not be rubbery. I hope this helps.

I would say if the gel gets too rubbery. It should hold together well enough but not be rubbery. I hope this helps.

Yes that does. Thanks you so much!