Sign in to follow this  
Kayla102968

Two tiny 2 year old pond goldfish bottom sitting brought inside (swim bladder?)

Test Results for the Following:
* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
* Nitrate level(Tank) 5-10
* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
* Nitrate level(Tap) 0
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.9
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.1
Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
* Water temperature? 56
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 700 gallon - 2 years
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 homemade bucket filters - 30 gallon and 55 gallon
* How often do you change the water and how much? 10-15% weekly
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days ago - 10%
* How many fish in the tank and their size?  around 27 fish (9 adult size)

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem SAFE
* What do you feed your fish and how often? winter (cold water) pellets - once per day 
* Any new fish added to the tank? No
* Any medications added to the tank? No
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. - I prazi the pond every spring and fall just as a precaution.  Last time was September 2015.
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? These are two year old babies from my pond.  They have been bottom sitting this winter and their ability to stay up in the water column has decreased to the point where they are almost constantly bottom sitting even in the inside tank at 72 degrees now.  The darker baby (larger of the two) has a deformed mouth and a damaged gill cover that he has had for as long as I've seen him.  They were treated as fry with prazi.  The smaller one has always worked harder to swim but didn't bottom sit and has recently developed a curved spine.  The larger one used to swim well and now seems to have the same problem as the smaller one.  They are very underweight.
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? bottom-sitting; trouble with swim bladder?  Was spitting out food...but not sure if they just get too much in their mouth at a time?  I have only seen the larger of the two pooping...not sure if the smaller one is getting any food...but she must be.

I brought these two in from the pond on the weekend and have them in prazi and 0.1% salt.  They are not the best eaters and have difficulty swimming.  The smallest one has developed a curved spine which I'm not sure would be genetic...since she wasn't born with it.  I wonder if I should try an antibiotic of some sort to try and give them a chance...or whether I am too late for that or if it would even help.  I thought before I decide on whether they have a quality of life...I would like to try something. I don't want them to starve to death or get an infection from constant bottom sitting.  Any thoughts?
They are in a 20 gallon tank right now filled 1/2 way (10 gallons).
Here is a video of them inside:

They are tiny for two year olds. They're cute! Hope they get better :)

Thanks MJ :).  Yes, they are very tiny and they have always been smaller than their siblings even in the summertime when they were eating and swimming well.  I'm sure there is something genetically wrong with them as well (at least the really small lighter colored one), but I'd still like to give them a chance if there is something I can do.  

You might try a gel food with a little garlic in it for extra appeal.  What do you have for meds?  Wasn't it just last winter when you brought in a sorry looking  youngster that got better inside?  How has that one turned out?

Yes...I have had a few sorry little youngsters (about 3) that have made great recoveries.  Some have grown to be very large, happy, healthy fish that are beautiful (like Neopolitan).  Mouse was a tiny white one that was bottom sitting and she also made a full recovery and has grown a lot.  I had one last year that was orange and black and had gotten a twist in her spine and she was swimming very erratic, up in the water column and then on her side, flashing at the top and going back down.  She did improve too.  I should look back...I think it was metro + , prazi and salt I used.  I saw today that my little tailless guy from this year is occasionally doing that erratic movement in the water column...barrel rolling and then flashing at the top and then going back down and swimming normally.  I'm going to have to bring him into the 10 gallon tank I think since I'm pretty sure he has either flukes, parasites or something...it is so strange.  I see that the larger white 2 year old is bottom sitting again at 57 degrees although does come up for food.  It seems something is really bothering some of these babies.  I have lost about 3 'babies' from the 2 batches (once they had grown)... 2 of which became floaty on their sides at the top and just could not be fixed no matter what we tried.

I don't think I have anything for meds right now, but could easily pick up some metro from the pet store tomorrow if you think I couldn't harm them any worse by trying it?  

Thanks Sharon.