I fancy a change - show me your bare bottom tanks with plants!

Lis.

I've had my tank pretty heavily planted for a year and a half now, but I've decided that maintaining a healthy environment for my fish is such a big job in a tank with so much sand, plants and wood, so I want to make things simple. Please can you guys share your bare bottom tanks with plants? I have some ideas of what I want to do, but inspiration from other tanks would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :D

Lis, these are far from worthy of you :teehee but maybe something you could just run with. 

This is what I had before I decided sand everywhere was a must :rofl

20140302_213356.jpg

I bet you could find some big glass planters to stick in the corner, and then somehow line/hide with shorter plants - short but bushy anubias, moss, etc ?

IMG_4305.jpg

this was a favorite of mine, but I didn't have it right so it didn't do well and got really messy. 

Did you miss the sand then, Jenna? I think I'd end up missing it too, but I think it would be worth giving bare bottom a shot, at least for a little while. If I went back to sand though, I'd go with a thin layer. I love your planters, they are something I have considered!

I feel like I need to go all out and go really creative, so that I don't feel like I've destroyed my tank for something that I won't love :rofl this is going to be so hard

:teehee

No, I never had sand until a few months after I got the 125. I don't know if I could go back, though. Maybe if I could pull off the same look as I tried to describe. I see it in my mind! :rofl:crazy: 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCDmp1JjWRK/?taken-by=fancyblackgold

I have rocks with anubis on them with fishwire. My wife ( https://www.instagram.com/goldfish.love/ ) have to semi planted tanks:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCA8DW_BrKS/?taken-by=goldfish.love

https://www.instagram.com/p/-ZlYPiBrIx/?taken-by=goldfish.love

And for one of them she just came up with a great idea. Get small baskets with suction cups and fill them with substrate, add plants and stick them on the back and side of the tank. Also a great way of having plants without the substrate all over the tank.

• Helper

I'm working on this in my own tank - my solution is glass planters and a little black sand, but just enough to cover the bottom and for them to forage in. Not a deep dirt substrate but not bare either.

Did you miss the sand then, Jenna? I think I'd end up missing it too, but I think it would be worth giving bare bottom a shot, at least for a little while. If I went back to sand though, I'd go with a thin layer. I love your planters, they are something I have considered!

I feel like I need to go all out and go really creative, so that I don't feel like I've destroyed my tank for something that I won't love :rofl this is going to be so hard

I have tried bare bottom twice now and have always switched back to sand. My fish seem bored and unless you really are in the mood to scrub the sides and bottom every week, it starts to look messy. I am a lazy fish keeper so it just looked bad with mine. I see some I love on the internet, but I just don't feel like scrubbing a tank once a week.

I'm working on this in my own tank - my solution is glass planters and a little black sand, but just enough to cover the bottom and for them to forage in. Not a deep dirt substrate but not bare either.

This is what I think I may end up doing if I just end up hating the bare bottom (I had a bare bottom tank before I set the big one up, and I wasn't that keen) but I'm just desperate to have a really clean, easily maintainable environment. As the fish get bigger it's just getting harder and harder to keep it clean. I like the idea of a think layer of sand though, that would be pretty easy :)

I have tried bare bottom twice now and have always switched back to sand. My fish seem bored and unless you really are in the mood to scrub the sides and bottom every week, it starts to look messy. I am a lazy fish keeper so it just looked bad with mine. I see some I love on the internet, but I just don't feel like scrubbing a tank once a week.
Yeah I'm not sure how I feel about them not having anything to forage through. I say now that is happily scrub the tank weekly, but whether I actually would is a whole different matter :rofl then again I do 90% water changes every 3 days, maybe wiping down the glass really wouldn't be much more maintenance for me :idont

Hi Lis! I actually left my tank bare bottom after I upgraded my fish to a 40B, because i will be leaving for college soon and my mom will have to do maintenance on the tank, so I wanted it to be as easy as possible. Plus I know she'll probably not do water changes as often as I do now so i figured i wouldn't risk anything by adding substrate. Anyways, it's really nothing pretty, but I figured I'd share with you if it helped any. 079a9b87c860b03b82ced90e4fc40ec7.jpg

I have Anubias bateri on driftwood and some floating frog bit. I think I'm going to add some planters with swords too.

Yeah it can get kind of dirty looking at times, because you can see all the poop and stuff (my fish eat and spit out their poop so much that it just ends up looking like sprinkled crap everywhere [emoji40]) but water changes are way more easy now that I don't have to sift for poop through the sand and I can just suck it up all in one pass. And filtration is much more efficient and easier on my filters now that sand doesn't clog them up.

I've had an idea for a tank for awhile that would work well for goldies. Basically just a thin layer of sand, a real stumpy piece of driftwood (tricky to find in stores since no one wants stumps, but achievable if you can be bothered going for a hike and collecting your own) and tonnes of anubias, bolbitis, java fern, and bucephalndra if you can find some for cheap. Some largish round river stones would round it off. :)

Edited by dan in aus

If i decided to go with a minimum approach i would probably buy some attractive pieces of drift wood, many large stones and attach a large amount of java fern, most likely the thin variety. Along with some of the larger species of anubias. No substrate needed and i find that i looks very clean and elegant if done right. I would have to have some sand in mine though. Just cuz i love the look.

Basically what dan in aus said above me.....lol.

Edited by xjasminex

• Helper

I've had an idea for a tank for awhile that would work well for goldies. Basically just a thin layer of sand, a real stumpy piece of driftwood (tricky to find in stores since no one wants stumps, but achievable if you can be bothered going for a hike and collecting your own) and tonnes of anubias, bolbitis, java fern, and bucephalndra if you can find some for cheap. Some largish round river stones would round it off. :)

That's almost exactly my design, right down to the driftwood 'island'. I needed planters for some of my lilies and whatever I end up using in the background (was going to use vals but they're too weedy looking, I think) but overall a simple tank with a lush centerpiece was about as low maintenance as I could go. Right now I have maybe two tablespoons of sand in my aquarium, mostly spewed from my sand filter as it was settling, and they LOVE it. But it certainly isn't hard to clean or manage compared to a deeper substrate or dirt.

I have a small driftwood "island" with anubias and then anubias attached to black rocks scattered about. See my pic below (the floating plant is almost gone due to a young oranda).

As I read this thread, I'm considering removing the rocks with anubias and attaching the plants to another driftwood "island." Having to move the anubias rocks each time I clean is getting old. Also, I'll lower the substrate level down to a minimum over time.

Also, I'm considering getting some riparium planters, putting anubias in them, hanging them on the back of the tank to get some height in my greenery; or I may just get some anubias mother plants.

Great thread for spring cleaning time!

Edited by LisaCGold