Sign in to follow this  
EdgarTheFish

I made a mistake with my pH

I know what I did wrong, how do I fix it? 

I bought a pretty brown gravel from WalMart when I was buying my betta's their new 5g tanks on Friday, it has definitely screwed up my pH/kH/gH in both of the tanks that I put it in.

Using my API master test kit. My last WC was Saturday using my tap which has 0.25ppm ammonia in it, I use Prime coniditioner and double the dose to detox the ammonia while the cycle works on it. 

20g tetra tank with 8 Serpae red minor (4 longfin and 4 shortfin), I experienced a cycle bump because I increased my school yesterday: 

ph: 8.8 kH: 35.8 gH: 107.4 Ammonia: 0.25 Nitrite: 0.0 Nitrate: 20

I just upgraded one betta and downgraded another since I ended up with a known fin-nipping tetra and didn't want to chance a divider failing so I have two 5g tanks, one with my plakat and one with my VT.   

5g plakat Betta tank with anubias, Java Moss ball. He eats 3 pellets twice a day and bloodworms once a week and is fasted every other morning. 

pH: 8.8 kH: 107.4 gH: 179 Ammonia: 0.25 Nitrite: 0.0 Nitrate: 5.0

5g betta tank with java moss ball and NO new gravel. He eats 2 pellets twice a day and bloodworms once a week and is fasted every other morning. His tank is currently lower than 0.1% salinity due to getting sucked into the filter intake of his 2.5g tank and having finrot, I've been slowly changing the water without adding more salt as he's finally starting to heal after two weeks.  

pH: 7.4, kH: 71.6 gH: 107.4 Ammonia: 0.25 Nitrite: 0.0 Nitrate: 5.0

Obviously I've removed the gravel, but do I also do a large WC or do a whole bunch of small ones? I need to get my pH down and stable quickly but I don't want to kill the fish in the process! Right now all of the fish are acting completely normal. I wouldn't have even known anything was wrong if I hadn't checked to see where my cycle's had bumped to after doing so much work on the tanks this weekend. 

All 3 tanks have filtration and heaters. All 3 tanks are between 80 and 82 degrees, boith 5g have whisper 2-10 filters. The 20g has a marineland biowheel penguin filter 150gph.  The 20g has been running since late december and the 5g tanks have been running for a few days with established media added to the tanks to seed them.  I was going to get tetra safe start tomorrow on my day off to help finish out the cycles.

Thank you in advanced!!! 
Edited by ETF_Ava

Please test and report the pH and KH of your tap water.  

I hope you get it all straightened out.

Your tap water has a pH of 8.4 and the tanks have a pH of 8.8.  That sounds like a stable pH.  You can certainly do large water changes in those tanks.

You want to do frequent small water changes with the tank that has a pH 7.4, since that is much lower than the tap water.

The only problem with the high pH is that 0.25 ppm ammonia is much more toxic at that pH than it would be at pH 7.  Until water changes and growth of nitrifiers get ammonia to zero, get Seachem Prime water conditioner using the dose for the whole tank every day.  This will protect your fish from ammonia damage.

While bettas may prefer slightly acid conditions, they can adapt to a higher pH.   Fish do not act normal when experiencing pH shock, so yours seem to be adapting to the pH of your tap water.

Lowering pH, if possible,  requires risky procedures and messing with pH in general is dangerous. 

Edited by shakaho

Will my Serpae be ok with that pH long term? I'm wondering why my pH of my other tank is 7.4? Should I put that gravel back in the tank then instead of buying new gravel? Is there any long-term stress with the pH too high? 

Your KH is low.  I would work on raising that, which will also raise your pH.  Most fish adapt well to pH as long as it's stable.  My pH runs about 8.2 and my betta did fine with it.  :D  Having said that, I don't know what a Serpae is.  I'll take a look at it's preferred pH.

My question is why is your KH so high in your 5 gallon plakat betta tank . . . :idont

I don't think the gravel is the problem . . .

Well, ruling out all the differences with that, there is a piece of driftwood that the Anubias is attached to that the rest of the tanks do not have. I do not know what type it is (petsupermarket did not know either when I asked them) here's a picture: 

DSCN1588_zpsjpvzuhf1.jpg

edit: the wood is very soft, I got a bit of it stuck under my nail when i scratched against it by accident, it was already sunk at the store so I rinsed it and added it to the tank, this is about a month old. 

Edited by ETF_Ava

hmm so not raising the kH then? Am I missing something? I use the same tap at the same time for WCs, same foods, etc.  

My 20g serpae tetra tank, no live plants yet, I've been working on my plakat's tank because he's my fav and I'm spoiling him first. (I'm probably going to put the gravel back in their tank, their pH desired range goes up to 7.8 but they are also not looking stressed at all):

DSCN1841_zpst9f6rj0g.jpg

My 5g VT tank, he was a pity-buy and has bare necessities for now until I know his fins will heal fully and he'll survive: 

DSCN1865_zpsb5jfjrhz.jpg

My 5g plakat tank (I only had the gravel in his wine glass): 

DSCN1849_zpseblzet6q.jpg

Edited by ETF_Ava

Ooooo..... I like your Marimo in the wine glass! Does it float out much? I have some in a window vase and they rise in the day and fall at night. Been thinking of ways to put the in my goldfish tank but still protect them from being eaten.

Beautiful tanks all around!

It's actually baffling my filter lol, without the gravel it stayed in the glass, but spun in circles on it's side like the planet Uranus. The only time it's been out was overnight the first night, pretty sure Dagger got himself wedged in there and pushed it out, but it hasn't happened again.  I replaced the gravel with sea glass. So it's no longer spinning, the spinning was definitely freaking him out!