Sign in to follow this  
Lis.

Meet Hufflepuff!

I haven't had a new fish in so long, nor was I planning on any new fish. But today I went to see my nan with my dad and my siblings, and my dad offered to take me into a fish shop that we often visit when we go to see her. We looked at all of the goldfish tanks, and thankfully nothing grabbed me. Then we looked at the marines, but no, I was safe.

But then, we came across a huge tank (10ft x 4ft x 30") with some large fancies...and that's what we met Hufflepuff. My sister named him straight away, and we all stood there (including dad!) cooing over him. Next thing I know, my dad asked if I'm going to take him. I'm not made of money right now, so I said no, to which my dad then said "well I'll buy him". So, here he is, Hufflepuff. I thought he was huge, but actually, after weighing him, he's not much larger than Cutibean and black chu (5g between him and Cutiebean, 12g between him and Black chu)

I now need to decide on who I am going to rehome. The main tank has been overstocked for a little while now, and I've been doing 90% water changes every 3 days (and will probably continue with this routine even when the stocking decreases). I've known for a while that I'd need to make some decisions, but Hufflepuff has now put a time limit on the rehoming haha

image_zpsnal7yrvr.jpeg

Wow, Liz, he's gorgeous. How nice of your dad to make that happen for you. There are no fish like that in the fish stores around here.

Congrats!~ :newfish  :fishtank:Congrats:

Edited by mysterygirl

Oh my goodness! He's enormous! :o :o :nana

How much does he weigh, if you don't mind my asking. :teehee

He is awesome and so cute, congrats to you and dad!! So nice of him! :D

Wow, Liz, he's gorgeous. How nice of your dad to make that happen for you. There are no fish like that in the fish stores around here.

Congrats!~ :newfish  :fishtank:Congrats:

Thank you! :) I'm a lucky girl, though it's the first goldfish my dad has bought for me and now I feel the pressure of keeping him super happy and healthy :teehee

Oh my goodness! He's enormous! :o :o :nana

How much does he weigh, if you don't mind my asking. :teehee

He is awesome and so cute, congrats to you and dad!! So nice of him! :D

Thanks Jenna :teehee he weighs 198 grams :)

I think my dad just couldn't get over how cute he is, pictures don't do him justice, he's adorable :P

Very cute! Equally cute name.

His name is just perfect :teehee

Goodness Lis! How overstocked are you? I'd consider adding additional biofiltration before revoking fish beyond a certain amount of gallons. Swimming space is less of an issue in 100+ gallon tanks and adding a strong secondary filtration line should be able to process much more ammonia.

He is adorable by the way! Unless you're horrendously overstocked there may be other solutions ;)

Goodness Lis! How overstocked are you? I'd consider adding additional biofiltration before revoking fish beyond a certain amount of gallons. Swimming space is less of an issue in 100+ gallon tanks and adding a strong secondary filtration line should be able to process much more ammonia.

He is adorable by the way! Unless you're horrendously overstocked there may be other solutions ;)

Hi Taryl :hi I have 18 in there right now! Waaaay too many (more than half a dozen are juveniles, and many will be rehomed before Hufflepuff moves to the big tank anyway. They all came from the cellar when I closed down my pond, the plan has always been to rehome). I already have 2 fx5s on the tank, I can't actually fit anymore filtration onto the tank (no space for hoses etc because of the glass sliding lids). When my stocking is back to how it once was, it should all work fine. I've always liked to keep the water as clean as possible. I never have any ammonia readings, but I do get higher nitrates than I'd like (unsurprising with so many fish) Edited by Lis.

Nitrates have always been an issue for me as well - with two canisters and two sand filters I can keep them down to 5-10 ppms with weekly changes, but several of my crew are still juveniles. Just running the canister and sponge I was having some issues previously :)

I know you're heavily planted and that can help, but I definitely have to keep my filters free of accumulated mulm so they don't become nitrate factories.

It sounds like you have a good plan - good luck with the re-homing of the juvies and enjoy your newest arrival!

Edited by Arctic Mama

Nitrates have always been an issue for me as well - with two canisters and two sand filters I can keep them down to 5-10 ppms with weekly changes, but several of my crew are still juveniles. Just running the canister and sponge I was having some issues previously :)

I know you're heavily planted and that can help, but I definitely have to keep my filters free of accumulated mulm so they don't become nitrate factories.

It sounds like you have a good plan - good luck with the re-homing of the juvies and enjoy your newest arrival!

You're doing great keeping it so low! My nitrates go from 5ppm (out of the tap) to 40 within 3 days (but a lot of these fish are quite large, and they are fed 3-4 times a day ).

Yeah I've been lazy about rehoming, I'm not very decisive Putting a list together at the minute of who is staying and who is not. It'll be nice to not have to have such a strict water changing routine though!

Wow such a nice fish if you don't mind do you have any smaller goldies you may be rehoming as I have space for one more if you do eventually rehome any but I don't want to seem needy if that makes sense :)

Some more of him from tonight :heart

image_zps1ddfkayz.jpeg

image_zps5mhhxcch.jpeg

image_zpsckclvb2t.jpeg

image_zpsgrv4o3em.jpeg

Edited by Lis.

Wow such a nice fish if you don't mind do you have any smaller goldies you may be rehoming as I have space for one more if you do eventually rehome any but I don't want to seem needy if that makes sense :)

I will have quite a few smaller goldfish needing new homes, yes :) I would prefer this to be collection only though, as I don't really want to be posting fish if I can help it

I will have quite a few smaller goldfish needing new homes, yes :) I would prefer this to be collection only though, as I don't really want to be posting fish if I can help it

Okay :)

Some more of him from tonight :heart

image_zps1ddfkayz.jpeg

image_zps5mhhxcch.jpeg

image_zpsckclvb2t.jpeg

image_zpsgrv4o3em.jpeg

He is such a massive cutie!! Look at those cheeks...

I see the prazi is going well :teehee

Wow, what a beauty! That wen, with the coloring, is so bumpy and interesting. I can't see his eyes!

How awesome that you have family who support your love of fish! Your new guy is a biggy! Great name also!  :thumb:

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much CUTE!  He is absolutely adorable!  Congratulations :D