Black Ranchu

GoldnTexas

Hey yall! While our tank is cycling I have been dreamily looking for our future fishy friends.

There is a LFS here in Austin (Austin Aquadome) that carries plenty of little Ryukin (my wife has already decided upon that as the type she wants), they also have some baby black ranchu (they are just slightly bigger than 1 inch, SO ADORABLE!!!!). 

I originally thought I would want an oranda of some sort (not redcap though, they all look the same to me) and this store only has redcap orandas. So I have been steadily falling more in love with ranchu.

Anyways, my question is, do black ranchu usually stay completely black? Or are they known to lose the black like most orandas do as they mature and grow?

Personally, I don't mind losing the black, in fact I would prefer it! I love surprises!

So I guess what I want to know is, if I were to pick out one of these adorable little black ranchu, will it stay solid black forever? Or since I want some color, should I just go with one of the small orange ones instead?

Thanks in advance for any input, or advice. And please feel free to add some pictures if any of you have any black ranchu!

No guarantees either way. Odds are it will change, but there's a possibility it won't. Depends on it's genes.

I'm planning an all black tank come July/August (if I can wait that long) Curious to see how long/if it stays that way.  :teehee

I don't think anyone could say a black Ranchu will stay black. I have a black Ranchu who has been with me for 4 years and is still black, but even now she could still lose it :rofl

If you do get one and want it to stay black maybe get one with the darkest belly or one that doesn't have a golden/bronze sheen on the belly as that is usually a sign is fish that may start a colour change and if you get one then I can't wait for pics :)

these fish are super small, maybe slightly longer than an inch with tail.. so its super hard to tell, but honestly id rather one that changes color :)

yeah colour changes are fun to watch i had a chocolate turn to an orange and I have one atm that is a weird colour but is losing like a blue sort of colour and getting white and orange :)

As the fish grows, you will see a golden/shiny stomach and the black being less "black", due to the scales growing and the pigtenmations in the scales are not completely black being more visable. This happened to my blackmoor too, but he was quite impressive with his black/golden coloration.

BTW Austin is a great city - had lots of fun visiting in '13. 

As the fish grows, you will see a golden/shiny stomach and the black being less "black", due to the scales growing and the pigtenmations in the scales are not completely black being more visable. This happened to my blackmoor too, but he was quite impressive with his black/golden coloration.

BTW Austin is a great city - had lots of fun visiting in '13. 

Under the bright LED lights Hiro has a single shiny golden scale on his back, just one. The belly is a very very pretty golden yellow color!HiroTheRanchu_zps7vvmzr25.jpg

Edited by GoldnTexas

• Supporter

I would call him nugget lol.

Very nice. As far as staying black like everyone says it can go any way. That said the only real guarantee is white. I've saw orange fish in my pond turn white with age. I have one that's close to 20 years old that is right now in the processes of turning white.

I have saw it suggested that natural sun light may help them stay black and will promote deeper coloring.

I would call him nugget lol.

Very nice. As far as staying black like everyone says it can go any way. That said the only real guarantee is white. I've saw orange fish in my pond turn white with age. I have one that's close to 20 years old that is right now in the processes of turning white.

I have saw it suggested that natural sun light may help them stay black and will promote deeper coloring.

his name is Hiro :)

Looks like he will turn a nice orangey yellow. Cute fish!

That would be AMAZING! See I really wanted an apache oranda but we just didn't have it in our budget, and I fell in love with these little ranchu when we saw some in person at the LFS. A little down the road when we are in our own house finally, I'm going to set up a 120 gallon show tank in the living room so we will be able to pick and choose from wherever we want. Budget dictates a lot but I think we were able to pick out two really nice fishies for our first go  :thumbup2: