My first batch of gel food

Joshua's Goldies

https://vimeo.com/155443113

Joshua’s Waterpigs Gel Food Recipe #1

2 – Heaping cups of fresh baby spinach

1 – Teaspoon fresh mixed garlic

2 – Cups of spring water (1/2 cup used in gelatin mixture)

4 – OZ of solid white albacore tuna

¼ - Cup of frozen peas (skins removed)

¼ - Cup of frozen broccoli

2 – Cubes of frozen brine shrimp

2 – Cubes of frozen blood worms

½ - Cup of hikari lion head pellets

½ - Tablet adult complete vitamin

1 – Tablespoon of spirulina powder

1 – Teaspoon of astaxanthin powder

2 – Packets of knox unflavored gelatin

Materials used, a hand blender, mortar and pestle (or if u have a stationary blender it would probably be easier), whisk, large sauce pan, small microwave safe bowl, plastic wrap, and a long cake pan, non serrated butter knife, freezer bags or Tupperware, measuring cups, and measuring spoons.

With your mortar and pestle crush vitamin tablet and dry pellets to a powder form (or use a food processor or blender if it's easier)

In sauce pan pour just enough water to cover bottom of pan and add baby spinach and garlic, lightly wilt the spinach, then add tuna, frozen vegetables, and frozen shrimp and worms with the the remainder of water (leaving ½ cup of spring water for gelatin mixture) heat all ingredients and remove just before it starts to boil. Then with hand blender blend these ingredients until its blended smooth. Now add your crushed pellets and vitamins to mixture and blend some more until mixture is throughly mixed together.

Now add gelatin packets and ½ cup of water into microwave safe bowl whisk together and place in microwave checking regularly until gelatin is dissolved and become a clear syrup like consistency.

Now whisk in your powdered spirulina and astaxanthin to the sauce pan, once mixed thoroughly whisk in gelatin mixture.

Then in a cake pan lined with plastic wrap pour saucepan contents in, making sure to spread out evenly across pan. Then place in refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours.

After it has cooled in refrigerator and set, with a butter knife you can cut into bite sized pieces or leave in smaller sheets of food, which ever works best for u and freeze. I cut them into bite sized pieces and transferred them to parchment paper lined cookie sheet making sure the pieces were not touching and placed in freezer for a hour or so, then placed in freezer bag to store. thaw out what you think you will need each week and leave in a Tupperware container in the refrigerator.

Notes: This was my first attempt of making DIY Goldfish gel food, I tried to incorporate foods from other recipes, food I had on hand (hakari lionhead pellets), and supperfoods that promote health growth and color. It turned out well maybe a little grainier than I wanted, next batch I may add a little more water and one more packet of gelatin.

• 1 month later...

Nice job. :)  How did you know how much spirulina to add?  I am curious because I did a quick read about it today at work on my break and in the article spirulina was highly recommended and even that it should be supplemented in a fish's diet.  

Nice job. :) How did you know how much spirulina to add? I am curious because I did a quick read about it today at work on my break and in the article spirulina was highly recommended and even that it should be supplemented in a fish's diet.

I looked at others recipes and I did about half of what they used since I used about half the other ingredients... I will be making new batch soon a variation of Cinci's recipe. I really like the way his sounds and his fish and grooming are amazing.

Good work. I made gel food once. The fish enjoyed it and seemed to do pretty well but it was a hassle getting everything together (and I didn't even use as many items as you did) and so instead of trying again, I just got Soilent Green. If I try again, I'll try to follow this and see how it works! Loved the video, cute music.

Nice job. :) How did you know how much spirulina to add? I am curious because I did a quick read about it today at work on my break and in the article spirulina was highly recommended and even that it should be supplemented in a fish's diet.

I looked at others recipes and I did about half of what they used since I used about half the other ingredients... I will be making new batch soon a variation of Cinci's recipe. I really like the way his sounds and his fish and grooming are amazing.

• 1 month later...