Sign in to follow this  
Daniel

Planted Tank Update

Decided to snap a picture of my current planted tank. It's been through a few evolutions over the past 4 months (mostly just me fiddling with hardscape), but I'm fairly happy with it now. I imagine I'll let it live for quite awhile.

It's looking a bit sparse at the moment since I just did a very heavy trim, but in a few weeks it should be looking nice and lush again. The idea here was to create something that looked semi-natural (like it could exist in a creek or tributary) and required little in the way of weekly gardening. To that end it is mostly slow growing species like crypts, ferns, anubias, etc. 

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! :)

24988026816_d7dba080e7_o.jpg

Good job.  Wish you had shot a picture before the trim. lol Maybe next time. Hint hint.

:9

Thats just stunning hun :)

Wow! So incredibly natural looking! Your hard work is certainly paying off!!!

Thank you everyone! :)

Good job.  Wish you had shot a picture before the trim. lol Maybe next time. Hint hint.

It was really tatty beforehand. A lot of the carpet had lost its lower leaves and it needed trimming/uprooting and replanting in certain places. The new stuff should be nice and compact. :)

Update: 6/3/16.

Sadly my betta Friedrich passed away the other night. He was a lovely little fish and I think everyone misses him. It's certainly not the same without him. :(

I've also had to replace my Eheim with a Fluval after it decided to play up. Ended up replacing that Eheim with another Eheim, but it was broken out of the box. I took that as a sign to go for the Fluval, which I'd wanted to try since everyone on here raves about them, but it was more expensive. So far I'm really liking the Fluval. I have some lily pipes coming this week. My current intake/outake solution is a bit, err, rubbish. :rofl

As you can see, the plants have bounced back from their trim and are ready for another one over the next fortnight. I've since planted some persicaria porto velho in the back left third, which I'll let grow emersed out of the tank. :)

25520023166_90af02a9f2_o.jpg

Shrink me down (and give me some gills I guess) and I could live in that tank. 

So pretty.

sor,ry about your betta. :hug

Sorry about Friedrich

Thank you. :)

So pretty.

Thank you, Jenna. :)

:rip: betta :( And that tank is just WOW :o

Do I see a white cloud in there??

Yep, there's a lone white cloud in there. I did have 6 of them at one stage, but suffice it to say I have no idea what happened to the others. They didn't end up on the floor or in the filter. The neons have been doing really well though (knock on wood). :)

Sorry about Friedrich

So pretty.

Thank you, Jenna. :)

:rip: betta :( And that tank is just WOW :o

Do I see a white cloud in there??

Yep, there's a lone white cloud in there. I did have 6 of them at one stage, but suffice it to say I have no idea what happened to the others. They didn't end up on the floor or in the filter. The neons have been doing really well though (knock on wood). :)

I love white clouds I'm wintering a shoal of 10 used to be 12 that were from my grandparents pond and this year hopefully they will breed as I have bred white clouds once before but the babies were weak :(

I love white clouds I'm wintering a shoal of 10 used to be 12 that were from my grandparents pond and this year hopefully they will breed as I have bred white clouds once before but the babies were weak :(

They're a lovely little fish and I'll get some more at some stage. They can be kind of hard to come by here, although one of my plant suppliers could probably get them for me no problem. :)

They're a lovely little fish and I'll get some more at some stage. They can be kind of hard to come by here, although one of my plant suppliers could probably get them for me no problem. :)

Yeah they are so cool to watch and when the males flare at each other it looks awesome!

Here's another update. I got a little bored and added some orchids and terrestrial moss. Hopefully it should do alright (fingers crossed). :)

25006757654_7f6b1dcdcd_o.jpg

Amazing, as usual! :thumb:

Sorry about Friedrich. :(

Good to see you posting! :hi5 

That is one very good looking tank. I really like the natural look of it. It could look like this is the wild! Very good work. Many hardscapes tend to be too perfect for me and there goes too much into making it look good, rather than natural, which I prefer :)

I could never have a tank like that, I do not have green fingers!

Amazing, as usual! :thumb:

Sorry about Friedrich. :([/size]

Good to see you posting! :hi5[/size] [/size]

Thank you! Friedrich was a good little boy, hard to believe a week has gone by already.

That is one very good looking tank. I really like the natural look of it. It could look like this is the wild! Very good work. Many hardscapes tend to be too perfect for me and there goes too much into making it look good, rather than natural, which I prefer :)

I could never have a tank like that, I do not have green fingers!

It's one of the few tanks I've had where I don't have the urge to tear it down and do something new. I'm really intrigued to see where it goes, how it changes as plants compete against one another and if I add anything new.

I'm inclined to agree about some tanks, particularly certain iwagumis. I think it comes down to whether it's a tank that is inspired by waterways, or forests, grass fields, etc. That said, even domed rotala bushes like you see in ADA tanks can be found naturally in the wild. :)

And anyone could do this! The plants in there aren't particularly demanding, nor do they require overly regular trimming. Hardscape tends to take some time to figure out, but I'm slowly developing that skill.

Just a little update snap before the lights go out for the evening. The fish have gone native, I rarely see them anymore unless I've plopped some food in. It's really interesting to see how their behaviour has changed as the plants have become more dense and their environment more complex.

27154124694_4ba5641798_k_d.jpg

Edited by dan in aus

Love the epiphytes on the emersed driftwood, and the dense plant mass below ^^

Do you have a full list of emersed and immersed flora?