Peaches Isn't Acting Right (QT)

Mikey

not sure if this is wen growth or not. It's like all over her one side and under her eye even. Just little white stubs poking out no redness to them that I can see.

7154C5A2-71CF-4EE8-B497-C99179C30EEC_zps8B66FF6D-9E62-4EDB-B1A0-86F9B3838FFB_zps

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helper

Looks like normal wen spots. If you are going to leave the salt in make sure it is .1% - but it's not necessary for treatment since there are no external injuries. I'd remove it, but it won't harm anything.

Okay, thank you! and 14 days I am treating for, correct? Dose once daily and after two doses 100% water change?

Edited by Mikey

I think metro is every two days dosing. But check the back of the package to be sure. Water change that before each dose.

yes it is every two days, so do I count 14 days by actual doses or by actual days it's in the water?

The white stuff spread to the other side of her head now and she has some streaking. I did a wile den of the tank followed by an 80% water change. I put four scoops into the tank and now I guess we wait. Im going to see how she does with a few pellets right now and then I'll try more in the morning. She definitely looks a lot thinner than when I got her, but she's plumped up a tiny bit since the first above view picture I think.

Now my concern is I do not think I'll have enough metro to do the full treatment. I have more in order but they said it was out of stock. It says I should have it by the 23rd. I think I have enough for four days (2 doses) so I'll see what happens I guess :(

• Helper

It may be that the picture wasn't clear enough - can you get a nice macro shot, well lit, in a glass or bowl?

Don't stress overly much about the metro - I do fourteen days in the water or seven doses, with the final dose on day 13 and left in the water until the end of day 14.

My recommendation on making the metro stretch is doing one measure into a five gallon bucket and prime dosing on the day you don't metro dose. Then you're doing much less medication in quantity for the same strength of treatment.

Edited by Arctic Mama

It may be that the picture wasn't clear enough - can you get a nice macro shot, well lit, in a glass or bowl?

Don't stress overly much about the metro - I do fourteen days in the water or seven doses, with the final dose on day 13 and left in the water until the end of day 14.

My recommendation on making the metro stretch is doing one measure into a five gallon bucket and prime dosing on the day you don't metro dose. Then you're doing much less medication in quantity for the same strength of treatment.

I was thinking something like that may work but I'm not a mod so didn't want to voice my whole opinion :) Edited by goldfishfanforever

I have a four gallon bucket. I can get a 5 gallon though. Should I put the heater and air stone in there as well I am guessing if I go that route?

• Helper

Heater probably isn't needed unless the tank is significantly warmer than the bucket, but an airstone would be good, or a media-less small filter to cause some good churn without too much current. Just monitor the temp very closely if you heat the bucket as a heater could kick it up too hot accidentally and cause more problems than it solves.

Heater probably isn't needed unless the tank is significantly warmer than the bucket, but an airstone would be good, or a media-less small filter to cause some good churn without too much current. Just monitor the temp very closely if you heat the bucket as a heater could kick it up too hot accidentally and cause more problems than it solves.

could I take the bi media that I have from the filter and put it on op of the air stone?

I have a digital thermometer so I'll be monitoring it closely. My mom drops the heat at night so I would prefer to attempt to use the heater.

• Helper

If the waterborne metro isn't getting on top of it and she isn't eating reliably, metromeds are unlikely to help because of dosing difficulty with a fish that won't eat.

Do you have kanaplex or triple sulfa on hand? We can continue the metro in the water and try synergistic combo with another med and see if that helps. Please also dose Epsom at 1 tsp per five gallons for a few hours and let's see if that reduces the swelling faster. It shouldn't be a high enough dose to cause kidney issues.

Edited by Arctic Mama

• Helper

I hate to say it, but when they get that submarine/tootsie roll shape going it seems to correlate strongly with a bacterial infection, even with no other symptoms present. It's one of the things I'm starting to look for in diagnosing because it seems to follow that the slightly rounded, right body line is a precursor to more problems :(

If the waterborne metro isn't getting on top of it and she isn't eating reliably, metromeds are unlikely to help because of dosing difficulty with a fish that won't eat.

Do you have kanaplex or triple sulfa on hand? We can continue the metro in the water and try synergistic combo with another med and see if that helps. Please also dose Epsom at 1 tsp per five gallons for a few hours and let's see if that reduces the swelling faster. It shouldn't be a high enough dose to cause kidney issues.

i have kanaplex and the metro should be arriving shortly. Would that dosage of Epsom be okay for more than maybe 15-20 hours?

Wait I lied my kana is expired. I can order triple sulfa for Tuesday if my store doesn't happen to have any if it's available. Or we may have some in the back? Not sure. Can we try metro meds? She ate the saki hikari I fed her earlier.

Edited by Mikey

• Helper

How expired is the kana? Has it been opened or sealed?

If you're waiting on metro to ship have you been dosing in be meantime?m why don't you give me the treatment history up to this point.

Yes, the Epsom at that strength can go longer, but it's high for more than short term treatment in my opinion. I like to play it lightly with anything that changes the osmotic balance of the fish.

How expired is the kana? Has it been opened or sealed?

If you're waiting on metro to ship have you been dosing in be meantime?m why don't you give me the treatment history up to this point.

Yes, the Epsom at that strength can go longer, but it's high for more than short term treatment in my opinion. I like to play it lightly with anything that changes the osmotic balance of the fish.

opened and a year in June.

She's had one dose :donthit but I haven't changed the water up until today :donthit:

What should we do while we wait? I don't think I have enough metro left but I can try and dose it.

Want me to throw a few pieces of metro meds in and see what she does?

If I have enough for this dose, it'll last until the metro comes; it is arriving Tuesday.

• Helper

Am I misremembering or did I advise a bucket and 1 scoop metro?  Did you not fol/low that?  Please give me calendar days /linked with what you did and when, so I can calculate doses correctly.

We will use that kanaplex, it should be effective still, unless it became hot or wet.  Give me very specific details on days and treatment and we can go from there.

Am I misremembering or did I advise a bucket and 1 scoop metro? Did you not fol/low that? Please give me calendar days /linked with what you did and when, so I can calculate doses correctly.

We will use that kanaplex, it should be effective still, unless it became hot or wet. Give me very specific details on days and treatment and we can go from there.

i didn't have a chance to get a bucket :( I have been working since Thursday. I finally have a day off tomorrow. I needed to cover for my one co worker who had heart surgery. It wasn't needed apparently though :idont:

She was dose on the 17th and then was not dosed the 19th. So today brings us to four days but only two days had full dose metro. I'll add the metro and kana right now.

I'll run out and get a 5 gallon bucket or two tomorrow.

The kana has been open for a while, like since 2012 or 2013. Are you sure it's still good? It's been under my fish tank in my fish cabinet since being opened.

Epsom is at 1.5 tsp total for the 20 gallons. Is it okay to leave it there for the two days and then drop it back down to 1/2 tsp per ten or should I drop it back down to that tomorrow?

Am I following the kanaplex instructions exactly with the 1 measure per five gallons instead of two? And then that's going to be only in the water for six days total, correct?