Sign in to follow this  
Mikey

Peaches Isn't Acting Right (QT)

Hi, so I have had peaches for a little more than two weeks now and something just isn't right.

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0ppm

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm

* Nitrate level(Tank) 0ppm

* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0ppm

* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm

* Nitrate level(Tap) 0ppm

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.4

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops

* Water temperature? 78.5

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 long 2.5 weeks

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 70 on lowest setting

* How often do you change the water and how much? weekly 50%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Two days ago 65%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 2.5-3 inches head to tail

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, salt, baking soda

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Sami hikari purple, nls algae max

* Any new fish added to the tank? Just her

* Any medications added to the tank? Prazi

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. .3% salt and double dose prazi for 7 days, stopped eating during this, on the 7th day did a 65% water change, a salt bath at 3% for the full five minutes and single dosed prazi did not add backs my salt. She started eating again yesterday but very little and it's hard for her to do so.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Black but it's ammonia burns healing I believe.

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom sitting, was on her side this morning, ate a little bit today.

Thanks Dawn!

Mikey, what does "head to tail" mean?  You must know the difference between sl and tl.   Standard length (sl) = tip of the nose to base of tail fin, total length (tl) = tip of the nose to tip of the tail fin.  Please put (sl) or (tl) after the length.  Set a good example for the newbies.

In the video, the underside of the fish looks "bruised" to me.  Is that true in real life? 

Sorry :( it's the (tl)

No it's yellow coloring. She's pooping right now so she ate which is good.

Thank you Mikey.  Sorry about making an example of you.  :)  So many people say "nose to tail".

That's fine :)

Any thought on what could be wrong?

Hm..... She doesn't look quite right does she? Is she slightly submarine shaped in real life? Rounded instead of more sleek by her spine?

I lost a fish with few other issues to bacterial infection awhile back, but I could tell when it began to take hold because of bottom sitting and his entire profile started to look rounded like a barrel and swollen. But no pineconing or other issues. No tail deterioration. Appetite was decent. Lethargic and rounded, sometimes floating or laying about.

Her behavior screams parasites to me, actually. The somewhat frantic swimming and head shaking. I'd continue the prazi treatments and begin with some waterborne metro. If that doesn't solve the eating issues consider using something like paraguard.

I'm with you, something is off. Unfortunately she isn't showing a ton of symptoms but the antiparasitic features of the metro along with continuing to get her fluke population down seems like a good initial step. We can bring out bigger guns after that if they are needed.

That sounds worth a try.  Do you have any medicated food? 

I figured I was going to need to add the metro haha

I do have metro meds but i can't guarantee she'll eat it all that's the issue with that.

Yeah, it just doesn't seem like anything other than parasites to me as well. No streaking, just the weird swimming and twitching. And the water doesn't smell fishy like either.

Thansk Crystal :hug

-----------------------

Here's a top view. Other than bein thin I see nothing to be concerned about :idont

2D0DDD27-F689-486E-9189-0FA6BF13A7A4_zps

Here is her trying to eat. You can see her poop from whatever she had eaten in the video.

Have you tried soft foods or frozen foods with her? Because the gill arches also comprise the pharyngeal teeth I could see a high parasitic load in the gills having possible after effects on appetite or discomfort while eating; but after nearly 3 weeks of treatment she should be improving not worsening. How did she behave in the salt dips? What was her gill activity like when she was on her side?

Poor girl! Hope she feels better soon. She is a pretty one

Didn't look like she got much down, and one pellet at a time? Poor girl :( Hope she feels better soon.

P.S.

How can she still have tons of flukes etc after all this time? Maybe she's just REALLY sensitive to them? Like moreso than other fish.

Edited by mjfromga

Have you tried soft foods or frozen foods with her? Because the gill arches also comprise the pharyngeal teeth I could see a high parasitic load in the gills having possible after effects on appetite or discomfort while eating; but after nearly 3 weeks of treatment she should be improving not worsening. How did she behave in the salt dips? What was her gill activity like when she was on her side?

I was going try bloodworms today :)

Not sure why she still has fan issue :(

She was perfectly fine in the salt dip :o lasted the full five minutes no problem whatsoever.

She was on her side vert little. I walked up to look at her and se swam right side up.

I forgot to get my metro back from the pet store :doh11: I'll grab it tomorrow morning asap. When I get it how much water borne metro do I put in?

Is Metroplex likely to help her?

thats what they wanted me to add but I don't know how much to add

Ah, me either. I am treating my Slate with it and I was told to use the standard two measures every 48 hours, however they may want something different for your fish - so I can't say that what I give is what you should. If they didn't specify any changes, I'd assume to just use the standard dosage. That's just me, though.

I forgot to get my metro back from the pet store :doh11: I'll grab it tomorrow morning asap. When I get it how much water borne metro do I put in?

Two measures per ten gallons, Mikey. I have a head cold and was sleeping in today and didn't see your update. I'd recommend discontinuing prazi for this treatment, since it is such an expensive med and she has already had a few rounds. We can begin it again when she is eating and feeling better.

Poke us when the two week course is over or if she takes a turn for the worse, okay?

Two measures per ten gallons, Mikey. I have a head cold and was sleeping in today and didn't see your update. I'd recommend discontinuing prazi for this treatment, since it is such an expensive med and she has already had a few rounds. We can begin it again when she is eating and feeling better.

Poke us when the two week course is over or if she takes a turn for the worse, okay?

do I leave the salt in?