Sign in to follow this  
GoldnTexas

Start cycle over?

I've never had a floaty fancy, but mine are all in ponds.

I've never had a floaty fancy, but mine are all in ponds.

Mine don't float much either. Usually it is being upside down and or bottom sitting that is the problem. I assume you do not have these problems either? As you noted, you keep your fish in ponds. Shallow ones mostly I think. I believe you have pointed out that shallow water is helpful with avoiding swim bladder issues? Also the fish may have a more natural diet available to them? Algae? Bugs? Etc? This may also help? I'm not trying to debate or anything, just provide info on how to reduce the swim bladder issues with fancies. Perhaps they just are not very well suited to aquariums and store bought pellet food?

If I wanted to add some pothos or lucky bamboo to my tank filters how would I go about doing that?

Edited by GoldnTexas

Get a little pot of pothos at Lowes/HD or a garden store.  It shouldn't cost more than $3.  Pull the plant out of the pot and wash off most of the soil.  Don't try to wash it all off.  It won't hurt anything and over cleaning the roots will damage them.  They will recover with time.  Then just move aside your biomedium and slip the plant roots in.

Ii know some people grow huge masses of lucky bamboo.  It won't grow at all in my water.  I bought a sprig about 5 years ago.  It has been in various filters, in pots hanging on the side of an aquarium, even in an aquaponics grow bed.  It has stayed alive, but hasn't grown a bit. (Yes, I checked.  It isn't plastic.)   :D

I got one of these at IKEA.  It fits perfectly at one end of my 40B.   You can put plants in this, support them with gravel, lava rock, or (best) hydroponic grow medium, then set it on the end of the aquarium with the bottom in the water.

I have a ton of pothos around the house already, I also have some calalilly (spelling?)  I was just curious. We have some bamboo too. But I saw at the grocery store they had single stalks for $0.99. Maybe next week I can figure something out. Thanks :)

OH! Should I take the gravel from the betta tank out yet?

Edited by GoldnTexas

If you try a lot of plants, you will eventually find something that works well.  The amount of nitrate and other substances that plants will remove from the water depends on how well it grows.

You can take the gravel out any time.

I decided to try these cala lilies because my mother in law didn't want them anymore..... you can find them in the following thread:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/123769-cala-lilies/#entry1963143

they had already been growing in water, no soil.

Edited by GoldnTexas

That might work.  When I have tried potted calas in my filters, they always died, but I have succeeded with planting bulbs in the filter/grow bed/

I'm hoping they will like this better than the vase they were in. More food for them. They are just white flowers though, I'm going to look into some better colored ones if these do good for when I upgrade to a 120 gallon when my wife and I buy our house in the next year or two.

Edited by GoldnTexas

I was feeding them some peas this afternoon and I was smashing them up in my fingers and the Ryukin swam up and grabbed one out of my fingers before I could smash it up all the way and he has a piece stuck in his mouth, will it eventually be swallowed? He's been trying to spit it out but it wont come out, I've been watching him for about 2 hours now, he seems to be breathing okay. I was going to attempt to get it out with tweezers but they are too big for his tiny mouth and I didn't want to force it. I don't know what to do  :cry

Has it come out yet? :idont

Has it come out yet? :idont

No... he seems fine but I'm concerned if he will be able to eat anything else with it in there, I'm worried. My wife said to quit tripping and it will be fine, it was deshelled so its just soft pea. I'm hoping it starts to dissolve and he can chew it up. But it's been like 3 hours now. 

Edited by GoldnTexas

In other news, Hiro took a giant poop and is finally not bottom sitting after eating the peas, hes alert, and swimming around like he was when we first got him.

I hand fed a little tiny bit of repashy to see if he could eat it and he could eat perfectly fine. I think he will be ok. It will come out eventually one way or another but I will keep monitoring him for other issues until it resolves itself or I have to intervene and go buy really small tweezers.

You worry a little much.  A wise man listens to his wife.  :D

You worry a little much.  A wise man listens to his wife.  :D

:teehee

He has swallowed the pea, and boy does he seem happy now!

Tests still look exactly the same so I haven't been posting the pictures. I did a 50% WC last Saturday with proper measure of salt and prime, and have still been doing the daily 5 gallons with salt/prime. Everything going smooth sailing so far.

Very good! Hope everything stays good!

pH last night had gone up to 8.4, could that be because it was hotter yesterday than it's been in awhile so the ambient temperature in the house was 5 degrees warmer than usual? Water temp was 76, up from 72 degrees.

the rest of the readings were as follows

ammonia - 0.25ppm still

nitrite was around 0.25ppm

nitrate was between 5-10ppm

I did the daily 5 gallon with prime and salt.

Tonight I will do a 50% WC to keep with my 50% every 4 days.

Fish are happily swimming around exploring and searching for food bits lol They are such characters. I think Ru the Ryukin has put on some weight so I will weigh them tomorrow too. Hiro looks a lot happier after having the peas the other day, he is very spunky.

That's it for the update. Hope everyone is having a great week!

Take Care!

Edited by GoldnTexas

Everything sounds fine.

Test today was

pH - 8.0/8.2

Ammonia - 0.25

Nitrite - 0.00

Nitrate - >5ppm

I did the 50% water change yesterday, it was too late by time we got home last Wednesday. Fish are looking great. Ru definitely is getting bigger. Hiro looks like he is growing too :)

Does everything look alright?

Edited by GoldnTexas

It looks good.  I'm not sure why you still have a little ammonia.  How does the color of the ammonia test on tap water compare with to that of tank water?

alright well I tested the tap and there's ammonia in our tap water. ew.

It read 0.25ppm

could it be a false positive from chloramine and by dosing prime i'ts converting it to ammonium and my cycle just isn't built up enough to take care of it yet?

Edited by GoldnTexas