Sign in to follow this  
GoldnTexas

Start cycle over?

Not necessary but might speed up the process a little.

You can reduce the current in the tank by turning down filter flow--there maybe a switch to do this or baffle the out flow if necessary. I do this at night for my fish.

Edited by LisaCGold

I don't want to step on anyone's toes but you may be able to speed up the process by adding a little heat and more oxygen to the water if you haven't already done so.

I'm not putting in a heater. I have an air stone I can add if it's necessary.

It's not, unless you had a heavily stocked tank with a poor surface area to volume ratio or you had fish with illness that affected gill function.  Your tank has good aeration and very little bioload, so the nitrifiers have all the oxygen they can use.  They have a little more ammonia than they can use, but not enough to inhibit nitrite oxidation.  They just need time to multiply.  

2/26/16 TEST RESULTS

pH:

2.26.pH_zpss6a8yzli.jpg

AMMONIA:

2.26.ammonia_zpsm6kxreiw.jpg

NITRITE:

2.26.nitrite_zpsqgoy7mty.jpg

NITRATE:

2.26.nitrate_zpse2mo6vpo.jpg

Do I need to do anything extra since there is nitrite present?

I *think* Sharon has you adding a bit of regular salt at each WC, doesn't she?  1 tsp per 10 gallons?  That will help with the nitrite toxicity . . .

I *think* Sharon has you adding a bit of regular salt at each WC, doesn't she?  1 tsp per 10 gallons?  That will help with the nitrite toxicity . . .

0.5 tsp/5gallon but yes 

I will just do my 5gallon wc as scheduled tonight then.

I believe that little bit of salt protects against something like 5 ppm nitrite, so you needn't worry.  Both ammonia and nitrite read less than 0.25 ppm, so everything looks great.

How long till I can do a 50% water change, the water level is getting lower from evap.

or should I just take out 4 gallons but put back 5 gallons?

Edited by GoldnTexas

Hey you are showing good progress! You can do the 50% change whenever you'd like. Feel free to top it off.

I added the other bubble stone because I noticed Ru was sucking the surface every now and then... I think he might have just been popping bubbles on the surface but I added it just to be safe.

As DP said, you can do a larger change any time you want and an add extra water as needed.  

Just took 4 gallons out and replaced 5 gallons tonight, we got home too late to do a 50% tonight, I will likely do that some time this weekend. Thanks for all the help ya'll! It's been so awesome to have ya'll here! The fishies are super happy!

How long does it take for the fish to get used to the new tank? Today Hiro was doing good, swimming around with Ru, but tonight he is hiding behind the big rock in the middle of the tank and bottom sitting. I think he may be constipated, he has long food colored poops. What should I do about constipation? I think Ru might be constipated too, but his poo's aren't as long as Hiro's. I'm just a little concerned and thought I would at least ask rather than not. Any ideas, suggestions? Could he just still be stressed and is resting? He seemed fine all day today. It happened after the water change tonight. 

Constipation can cause bottom sitting. Loooong poops is another sign of constipation. Try fasting for 3 to 4 days. The idea of fasting your fish may sound scary and weird, but they will be fine for 4 days and even longer. You can also fast for two days then feed them softened (boiled a bit) skinned peas for a couple of days.

You may want to ask in the food forum about feeding goldfish. It is quite common to over feed them.

Constipation can cause bottom sitting. Loooong poops is another sign of constipation. Try fasting for 3 to 4 days. The idea of fasting your fish may sound scary and weird, but they will be fine for 4 days and even longer. You can also fast for two days then feed them softened (boiled a bit) skinned peas for a couple of days.

You may want to ask in the food forum about feeding goldfish. It is quite common to over feed them.

I was trying to just give them a mouthful 3 times a day as Sharon suggested but its very hard to do when one fish is a horkin piggy that swims faster, so I've been hand feeding repashy and only letting them have one mouthful of seaweed sheet. Their poos were white the first few days but now they are atleast food colored. Ru has normal poo's now I just saw him lay one lol is was maybe 2-3cm long and green like the repashy. Hiro is still having longer ones. He's the one sitting. But he came out when I talked to him a bit again his swimming seems normal, no floating/sinking and is balanced and centered. I just didn't want to have something be the matter and me not get to it in time. 

I will fast them for a day or two and feed some peas for a couple days and report anything changing. Should I start a thread somewhere else about it?

Could he have just been sleeping?

Edited by GoldnTexas

Yes, he could have just been sleeping. Goldfish sleep by hovering in the water or resting on the bottom. If this is the first time you've seen him bottom sitting then maybe you're just getting use to his sleeping routine.

If you find him bottom sitting every time you walk into the room then that is problematic. Try the fasting and pea routine and let us know if there are any changes. Post in this thread. If problem continues then Shakaho or another mod can make the call about whether you should start a thread in disease diagnosis.

Edited by LisaCGold

Thank you, I'm just a worry wart  :teehee  and I'm learning  :D

I edited my post while you were reading it....

What are you currently feeding and how much?

In the morning I have been offering a small torn off piece of omega one seaweed sheet (maybe 1" x 2"), I clip it, let them both get a mouthful and when they stop to chew I take it out. In the evening I've been having my wife take a piece of Repashy Soilent Green and she will mush it between her fingers a little to loosen it up and I watch for the fish to start chewing and have her take it back out. I had been doing Omega One pellets in the morning but the Ryukin was eating them all so I stopped offering that yesterday. I can start that back again but I will need to separate Ru from the tank so Hiro can get his mouthful.

I turned the LED light off and he seems to be out more. Perhaps the light was stressing him. I waited 24 hours before turning it on when they moved. The water seems a little bit cloudy when viewing from the side, but from the front it looks clear. I have not fed this morning. I am in process of posting the water test results. Those are to follow this post. Just waiting for the 5 minute timer on the nitrate test and I will post.

Edited by GoldnTexas

2/27/16 Water Test

pH:

2.27.ph_zpsczptkj8v.jpg

Ammonia:

2.27.ammonia_zpshnninskj.jpg

Nitrite:

2.27.nitrite_zpsnezytffz.jpg

Nitrate:

2.27.nitrate_zpsw8otq1yd.jpg

Everything looks good to me. 

Hiro is back hiding behind his rock and bottom sitting. I still think it's due to constipation. I will give some peas tomorrow and notify of any changes.

Hiro is back hiding behind his rock and bottom sitting. I still think it's due to constipation. I will give some peas tomorrow and notify of any changes.

Swim bladder issues are pretty common w fancy goldfish and that is the sole reason why i will no longer keep them once my 2 big guys pass on. Very frustrating.