Dropsied Pearlscale

Usually it takes several days of antibiotics for any signs of improvement. Hang in there and keep the water conditions pristine.

Heating the qt to at least 75F would be good for a goldfish that is not feeling well.

Usually it takes several days of antibiotics for any signs of improvement. Hang in there and keep the water conditions pristine.

Heating the qt to at least 75F would be good for a goldfish that is not feeling well.

The tank is at 78* right now ????

https://vimeo.com/155808013

Look how much he is moving! He didn't move much at all yesterday. He is still very dropsied, but I wouldn't be surprised if he made a total come back. Of course, then I'd have to figure out a way to make the teacher let me keep him, as he is clearly too fragile for her messed up tank....

But yay, he's swimming!

That fish needs shallow water.  To me, he appears to struggle mightily to swim up, maybe going up for a bit of air,  then needs to rest.  We want a fish swimming easily all the time.  Fish need exercise as much as we do.  Could you possibly get a 10 gallon tote like this?  The huge surface area of this tote keeps the oxygen level high as well.

Why does the teacher have fish in the classroom?  Is this a biology class?

That fish needs shallow water. To me, he appears to struggle mightily to swim up, maybe going up for a bit of air, then needs to rest. We want a fish swimming easily all the time. Fish need exercise as much as we do. Could you possibly get a 10 gallon tote like this? The huge surface area of this tote keeps the oxygen level high as well.

Why does the teacher have fish in the classroom? Is this a biology class?

It's my landcaping and horticulture vocational class. The fish were purchased by students a few years ago for an aquaponics experiment and left with the teacher after the student graduated.

If the teacher won't allow you to improve the tank conditions significantly, I suggest you recommend to the teacher to rehouse many if not all of the fish with someone else who has time and space to care for them. Let him/her know that the fish you took home is starting to look better, and that when the fish is better and you bring it back to the existing tank the illness will most likely reoccur.

Edited by LisaCGold

• Helper

Restarting an aquaponics system could be a real lifesaver for those fish. Why not design one?

Absolutely this. It fits with the class and the vastly improved water quality for the water volume used makes a big difference. It's not so much swimming space that is the problem but waste handling and redox. Aquaponics will address this nicely.

Re: aquaponics:

I have an idea for that. Kiddie pool base with two heavy duty pond pumps pushing water into a 3- tiered waterfall filter/ growing system. Is this possible? Can kiddie pools be used long term for gf storage?

I know that's super vague. I'll try to sketch something up for you tomorrow. School also resumes tomorrow, so i will talk to my teacher about setting something up.

He looks really bad. His loose scales are all this giant, gross bubbles protruding from his body and he is kinda spasming sporadically... I think it's time to let him go. I don't have any way of getting any kind of alcohol... What else can one use???? I feel really bad for the little guy. All the meds gave done is prolong his suffering.

Oh, wow. Poor guy. He really does look in bad shape. Is that a cloudy eye I see? I see why you're ready to end his suffering. Don't make any moves yet, though. Try and wait for a mod. I have a feeling he may just pass peacefully on his own in a while. Helen did say pearlscales in her experience rarely recover from dropsy. We were pulling for him, though.