• * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Api drops
  • * Water temperature? 78
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10g qt (lives in 15g tank)
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqueon 10
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 90% weekly
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, 90%. Previously, last thursday.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? Normal tank 4 1.5". Qt only him.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Nls sinking small gf pellets. This week aqueon sinking gf pellets
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None ever
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Seems to be shedding slime coat.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Headstanding, unable to right self. Week and dropsied.
d4a23c6730b8b75aad776dedcfc811ed.jpgdd5d39853083534e6a1f80435be9f853.jpg86d8d1a780b2536e52e08d434b69ba8a.jpg

hun, where is the fish dropsied? are you able to show us? if you can't take a pic of it, perhaps a video? the reason why i ask is this, i have never known a dropsied pearlscale to recover, unfortunately. so, i would just like to make sure that this is exactly what we're dealing with.

since the fish is in QT and bottoms up, go ahead and add 1/2 teaspoon for every 10 gallons of epsom salt (dissolved) to the tank and we can work out if the fish is actually dropsied when you reply.

hun, where is the fish dropsied? are you able to show us? if you can't take a pic of it, perhaps a video? the reason why i ask is this, i have never known a dropsied pearlscale to recover, unfortunately. so, i would just like to make sure that this is exactly what we're dealing with.

since the fish is in QT and bottoms up, go ahead and add 1/2 teaspoon for every 10 gallons of epsom salt (dissolved) to the tank and we can work out if the fish is actually dropsied when you reply.

https://vimeo.com/155158023

Sorry, I was at school and was only able to use my phone... Which takes crap pics. I am positive he is dropsied; his scales are sticking out all over the place. If that video doesn't show it, I'll try to get a better one.

He is only in that tiny container until I get the qt set up, which I am working on right now.

Poor little guy, I hope he feels better and makes a recovery. I can definitely see the scales protruding out on both sides in the video and its inability to right itself :ill  

We can see the video just fine. Certainly looks like pineconing and a poor upside down fishy. :( Poor little dude.

We can see the video just fine. Certainly looks like pineconing and a poor upside down fishy. :( Poor little dude.

Poor little guy, I hope he feels better and makes a recovery. I can definitely see the scales protruding out on both sides in the video and its inability to right itself :ill

I'm glad you can ser the video. This is the second time ive had to bring this little guy home from school to be dealt with. This is my teacher's fish and since we are going on february break starting today, i figured it made more sense to try and save him at home rather than leave him to die and rot over vacation...

Add 1/2 tsp epsom salt per 10 gallons as suggested and if the mods decide it needs something stronger to fight this then let's hope the little pearlie can win this fight :) Wishing the little pearlie all the best :)

Little Fish is exactly the same today. Temp 72, 10g of water and 1/2 tsp of Epsom salt.

I have kanaplex, metroplex and prazi.

I hope the mods chime in here. Poor guy looks to have something serious. Hope he gets to feeling better.

Please also lightly feed him just peas (softened and skinned) for now. If he has constipation, this will help flush things through. His poop should be green from the peas. Let us know if it isn't.

Do you know what kind of water conditions and feeding schedule occurred at school for this fish?

Epsom salt, peas, and pristine water conditions for now until you hear different from a moderator.

Edited by LisaCGold

Please also lightly feed him just peas (softened and skinned) for now. If he has constipation, this will help flush things through. His poop should be green from the peas. Let us know if it isn't.

Do you know what kind of water conditions and feeding schedule occurred at school for this fish?

Epsom salt, peas, and pristine water conditions for now until you hear different from a moderator.

At school he lives in a 15g tank with 3 other fish. They have an aqueon 10 quietflow filter and 95% wc once weekly. They are fed once daily, except on weekends. They are fed every few days on school vacations. They have been being fed nls sinking gf pellets but recently those ran out at school so the teacher bought slow sinking aqueon gf pellets.

https://vimeo.com/155550607

In case you're wondering, he is not doing better. In fact, I dare say he Sid ping worse.

e98bf1875c1d1ccee6fec5ad1d2e7f04.jpgb91cc47052890c28f054d8c8bb3ee830.jpg

He is in 10g with half a teaspoon of Epsom salt, as per suggestion. I would really appreciate further instructions. I have metro and kana from seachem available if that is what is needed.

Poor guy. I have no advice, but I hope he starts to feel better and that maybe a mod can be helpful in this case.

Also, he is hungry... I fasted him for two days and attempted to feed a pea. He doesn't seem able to keep it down. He voraciously goes after it, but always ends up spitting it back out.

Also, he is hungry... I fasted him for two days and attempted to feed a pea. He doesn't seem able to keep it down. He voraciously goes after it, but always ends up spitting it back out.

Make sure the peas are de-shelled. When one of my orandas was doing the eat then spit the peas out, I would gently smush the de-shelled pea in between my thumb and index finger into like a flat/smushed pea pancake and then I would try to tear it into bit size pieces and drop it all in the water and then he was able to keep a little bit down. Hope he feels better !

Make sure the peas are de-shelled. When one of my orandas was doing the eat then spit the peas out, I would gently smush the de-shelled pea in between my thumb and index finger into like a flat/smushed pea pancake and then I would try to tear it into bit size pieces and drop it all in the water and then he was able to keep a little bit down. Hope he feels better !

I am de shelling them, thanks. I think he managed to eat one of the pieces.

I've reported this to the mod team. Stay tuned.

A concern I have is that the tank situation at your school is inadequate for three goldfish. I think you are familiar with our guidelines for healthy goldfish. If not, see link in my signature below. Are you planning to keep this goldfish?

Go ahead and dose 2 measures of metro along with kanaplex as directed on the container.  Do a large WC first if needed.  Pristine water is really needed . . . .

Go ahead and dose 2 measures of metro along with kanaplex as directed on the container. Do a large WC first if needed. Pristine water is really needed . . . .

I did 90% wc this morning. I'll do another 75% when i get home from work if it'll help. Meds will be dosed at that time. Thanks for your help.

I've reported this to the mod team. Stay tuned.

A concern I have is that the tank situation at your school is inadequate for three goldfish. I think you are familiar with our guidelines for healthy goldfish. If not, see link in my signature below. Are you planning to keep this goldfish?

The tank at school is not mine. There are four gf in there including this one. I've tried to get my teacher to upgrade, but she doesn't want to. She didn't even do wc. I do them once weekly, which is the best i can do with my work schedule. I don't know if she'll let me, but i may be able to convince her to allow me to set up something else for them... I'll talk to her about it after break. Edited by Morgan'sMiracles

A 15 gallon tank is absolutely inadequate for 4 goldfish. Maybe go to a higher person (say, an administrator rather than the teacher) and see if maybe you can get an upgrade that way. Just a thought. The sick one can be used as an example as to why the tank isn't a healthy living environment. Maybe a little heartfelt speech may change a mind or two.