Sign in to follow this  
Butterfly

Eye is gone!

And I have no idea how. It's cleanly gone like an enucleation! No scrapes or other injuries whatsoever (and this is a golfball pearlscale). Just a missing eye with intact eye socket and one little wisp of tissue.

I have pics and will upload when I can. Fish have been in this tank since August with same decor. Admittedly I have sunken ship which is may be rough but I cannot see how that pulled out an eye. My intake is covered with a sponge filter.

Could a fish have done this? The fish that lost her eye is and has been healthy. Not weakened. The largest fish are all female. The biggest is a Thai oranda who definitely does seem to be the boss of the tank. There are 4 juveniles too which are gender unknown but are on orders of magnitude smaller than the adults.

I have her in a hospital tank and I'm going to salt her and otherwise keep a close eye on her (no pun intended) until she looks all healed.

this sometimes happens, it's certainly not uncommon. QT with 0.1% or even less to keep the wound site clean is a good idea and very much the advice we commonly give in these situations.

if you would like us to look over what may have caused this, please answer the questions below relating to the main tank. if it was an attack from tankmates, perhaps something is not right with water params or tank space or even temps. a full tank photo would be good.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Sorry to hear this happened! Hope she heals up just fine!!

Awww, sorry for the loss of your fish's eye. I had an eye accident last summer with one of my Tele's getting too close to the siphon hose. He healed up surprisingly quickly with just clean water and salt. I hope your fish heals up quick as well.  :hug

Bummer! Tankmates are often culprits and some just like snacking on other fish! Especially if they aren't other goldies it can be more common but even some goldfish do nibble on one another. Weird!

Here are the pictures of this missing eye.

I will do the form shortly to see your thoughts.  ...and a tank pic too.

IMG_0292.JPGIMG_0296.JPG

Thanks all.  I am so bummed about this.  In the hospital tank she seemed to be looking at herself in the reflection mourning too.  Ok, I guess I'm anthropomorpizing a little there...

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)  0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)  0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)  40*
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)  0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)  0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)  40*
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0 / 8 / 5
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4 / 8 / 0
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  API test drops
      • * Water temperature? 71
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gallons since 8/15
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?  SunSun 304b with 4L Seachem Matrix and a separate in tank fluidized sand filter, separate inline UV (AquaUV 8w)
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every week, 80%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 6 days ago, 80%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 7, (1) 5" thai oranda, (2) 3 inch pearlscales, (3) less than 1" juvenile pearlscales, (1) a little over an 1" bubble eye
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, Seachem Replenish
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashy, NLS Thera A, 1-2x per day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? juvenile pearlscales and bubble eye added about a month ago.  Not their permanent home.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  Large thai oranda and large pearlscales were purchased together in August 2015.  I treated them in a smaller tub with prazi and salt for 3 weeks prior to getting them into the 75.  The juveniles that I added most recently I had in a separate QT for over 3 months and were treated with Tetra Parasite Guard, and salt.  (I think I also did some treatments with Seachem Paraguard).  They never displayed any signs of illness, I think I just went overboard.  I had plans for another tank but that hadn't materialized so I put them in the main tank.  I treated the whole tank with prazi after they were added too.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?  Nothing other than missing eye.  Eye was fine previous night.  No bulging or anything unusual.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?  No

*My tank nitrates are 40 and so are my tap so it could be worse I guess.  Putting the tubes side by side they are basically the same color.  I'm still working on reasonable solutions that don't involve me buying 15 5 gallon jugs of water.

Tank on the left side:

IMG_0301.JPG

Tank on the left side:

IMG_0300.JPG

I have a piece of coarse sponge filter material in the ends of the Titanic and ran air stone under them to keep water moving through them.  The canister intake is behind the fake plants covered with a sponge. 

Looking at her reflection forlorn...

IMG_0298.JPG

It looks like a wisp of tissue at the bottom of her eye socket, not a worm.

My best guess is one of the fish plucked it out.  :(  I don't think there is anything in your tank that would cause this sort of injury.  

Have you seen any chasing/bullying?  Do you know the gender of any of the fish?  :idont

My best guess is one of the fish plucked it out.  :(  I don't think there is anything in your tank that would cause this sort of injury.  

Have you seen any chasing/bullying?  Do you know the gender of any of the fish?  :idont[/o

Thanks. I know the oranda is female and am 99.9% sure the big pearlscales are too.

The oranda is the boss of the tank and at feeding time I have seen her bounce the pearlscales around, but it never seems aggressive in any way, more rude. At most, the now one eyed pearlscale would sometimes hang out at the other side of the tank when I sit by it to watch them (the others all smush up into the corner because they think I'm going to feed them). Most often that would occur when I'd be trying to get a picture of her! But she would mosey on over in her own time and no one would push her away or chase her.

Idk. I'm stumped. The eye was totally fine and then just gone. It really looks like it just popped of or got sucked out right? Such a clean injury. I just really don't want any one else to lose an eye.

It wouldn't just pop out. Like I said, I think one of the fish got to it. Watch closely as often once it happens, it will happen again . . . . :(

It wouldn't just pop out. Like I said, I think one of the fish got to it. Watch closely as often once it happens, it will happen again . . . . :(

Ugh... This is terrible.

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye....

Ugh... This is terrible.

*snort*

Any thoughts as to when or even if I should return her to the main tank?

Her eye socket looks good in terms of healing up but she seems to be having a hard time targeting the food I'm feeding her. I'll probably wait until she adjusts better to one eyed life.

Give it a week or so to really get the tissues healed, then if she is eating well I'd put her back in and keep an eye out for a nibbler culprit.

Back in the day, i had a pearl scale too who lost an eye. The pearlie lived long with one eye. Just recently, while cleaning my tank, my calico demekin went up to the water hose and her eyes was sucked. She went to fishy heaven the next day. I hope your pearly will heal up quickly.

Ugh... This is terrible.

*snort*

:rofl  I really did LOL when I read that.  :rofl  

I agree with AM, give it a bit more time to heal before adding back to the main tank.  :D