Sign in to follow this  
GoldnTexas

New Setup

Hello!

My name is Chris, some call me Tex since were in Texas. My wife and I just set up and started to cycle our 40 gallon breeder. We are using the fish-less method using ammonia. We are running 2x Aqueon Quietflow 50's with ceramic bio media, and cut to size filter media. We have caribsea tahitian moon sand as substrate along with some quartz river rocks my wife has collected over the years at the lake and such. We are going heater-less as our house temperature stays steady around 75 degrees (its been an odd winter this year but the water temp in our beta tank has been a steady 72 degrees), but will keep an eye on temp and make a decision later. I'm terrified of using those heaters in the house.

Anyways, we just started the cycle today (added ammonia to 4ppm) so it will be a little bit before we are able to purchase our fish. We are planning on keeping one oranda, and one ryukin. I look forward to growing in the hobby, learning, and sharing with you all.

Here is a picture of our setup. The stand is a DIY I spent around 6 hours putting together last saturday. It was a pain in the neck, arms, and back, but it was worth it!

IMG_4345_zpskcjstfsi.jpg?t=1455135458

Welcome to Koko's, Chris :hi

Sounds like you've done your research! :nana

I wish you a very speedy cycling time. :D

Thank you! Yes, my wife and I have spent the better part of a month just reading and watching youtube videos. We were able to get almost everything to start out on amazon for under $160. We got our 40 breeder for $10 on craigslist, and the stand cost me under $30 to build! We're very excited and can't wait to be able to stop looking and finally PURCHASE our little buddies! 

Edited by GoldnTexas

Thank you! Yes, my wife and I have spent the better part of a month just reading and watching youtube videos. We were able to get almost everything to start out on amazon for under $160. We got our 40 breeder for $10 on craigslist, and the stand cost me under $30 to build! We're very excited and can't wait to be able to stop looking and finally PURCHASE our little buddies! 

Now that is spending it wisely... Great job :)

Now that is spending it wisely... Great job :)

More money to spend on quality fish!

Welcome to Kokos!!!! Nice looking tank!!!!!

Looks great! Hope the cycling goes by quickly! Welcome to Kokos!

Off to a great start. Love the stand.

Just a pic of the night mode on my light (blue LED). iPhone 5c camera, sorry for it not being better quality.

nitemode_zpsrhxilbji.jpg

:goodjob

Looks great! You have some serious DIY skills.

Nice set-up and it's obvious you have already done your homework before jumping in.  Lots of luck and with only 2 fish they should thrive, just resist the temptation too add any more than that.

I'm hoping I don't have to start all over... My filter media was impeding the flow from one of my filters and it started spilling over so I removed one of the mechanical filter sponges and it took care of it. I'm really not thrilled with the design of these aqueon quietflows. When we get our tax return I am going to get 2x aqua clear 70's instead of getting my new fishing pole and just cycle them out 1 at a time after the tank is cycled... In theory it sounds right. Suggestions?

Edited by GoldnTexas

Keep the filters running.

When you can get the new filters, just switch the media and sponges from the Quietflows, into the AquaClears.

You might get a little delay (some bacteria will grow on the surface of the old filters, but most will be in the media), but it should be fine. You could also have all four running before removing the quietflows, but that might be a little excessive haha.

:hi and welcome!  Congrats on all the research and not making all the newbie mistakes many of us made that brought us here!!  Your tank looks great.  

Happy cycling.  You should go paint a wall and watch it dry or go watch the grass grow.  It'll be as exciting as cycling.  :tomuch:

You should go paint a wall and watch it dry or go watch the grass grow.  It'll be as exciting as cycling.   :tomuch:

I'm pretty sure those are the exact words she said to me! :rofl3

You should go paint a wall and watch it dry or go watch the grass grow.  It'll be as exciting as cycling.   :tomuch:

I'm pretty sure those are the exact words she said to me! :rofl3

Yes, but maybe he will listen . . . . :pp

:rofl3

Wow, sounds like you are squarely on the right track! It is RARE to see someone starting out right.....usually they find Koko's trying to figure out What Is Wrong! (That includes me years ago!)

I think you will really enjoy your fish when you find them!

AND:

:welcome

I may have hit my first hiccup today. The bubble wand we had completely fell apart and was floating around in 3 pieces. I had to scoop it out so I disturbed the leave it alone process and now theres not as much oxygen getting pumped into the tank. My filter started to overflow as well, I don't think I had the media set up correctly and the mechanical media was all black from the sand. So I went against my will to wait and took some of the ceramic out because there was too much in it, and also cut some new mechanical filter media and put it back in the RIGHT way this time. It fixed the overflow problem but I'm thinking I need a different type of sponge, this one is kind of thin but its dense, the water doesn't move through it very easily I've noticed. I am chalking it up to the learning experience and hope that I wont have to drain the tank and restart the cycle completely. I just started it yesterday so I'm hoping there really hadn't been enough time for anything to happen yet really. The positive thing is all I have is time right now, we don't have the fish yet...

But any suggestions on what I should do?

Edited by GoldnTexas

I applaud you on your research and craftsmanship! Very good looking tank and you are off to a great start.

I never had much luck with bubble wands, they either float or the tubing don't fit properly or they break very easily. So I'm back to using good old fashion round stones, but big ones and a powerful airpump to go with it. It produces a lot of air and the fish seems to enjoy swimming around in it.

Are you going to have plants in the tank?

Nice setup!! Thanks for researching your pet before acquiring him/her! :D
I don't know a whole lot about your filter setup, but it sounds like you have a sponge on the outside. I've never had a sponge on the filter intake, so maybe you don't need it?
I love Tahitian Moon Sand! I don't have any tanks with any yet, but I hope to someday. I like your purpley silk plants! Do you plan on any live ones?