Quarantine Plants?

• Helper

Wow, I stepped into a room of twelve year olds! :teehee

I always do a potassium permanganate bath on new plants, and inspect them extremely carefully for snails of any kind. Then they go in without much adieu.

I always do a potassium permanganate bath on new plants, and inspect them extremely carefully for snails of any kind. Then they go in without much adieu.

Were just talking about plant's!!!  :whistle

Sorry to be so persistent/annoying but would that pp stuff be ok on a miss ball? [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to be so persistent/annoying but would that pp stuff be ok on a miss ball? [emoji51]

What's a miss ball?   :idont

• Admin

:teehee

Yes, just plants. Round fuzzy ones that are called balls. Innocent!

I like Fuzzy balls... :teehee

Innocent!!!!! That's my middle name!!!!   :teehee

Right  :rofl

:teehee

I like Fuzzy balls... :teehee

Innocent!!!!! That's my middle name!!!!   :teehee

Right  :rofl

:pp

• Helper

Yes, just squeeze the marimo with gloves on in the PP solution to get it thoroughly saturated, let it sit for five minutes or so, and then move it to fresh water and squeeze it out several times again. Voila.

PP does good killing off algae and hatched snails but not a lot of people get a hold of it easily (i got from ebay) WARNING it stains! Bleach and PP don't get rid of eggs. 

Now I just use the product "No planaria" directly in the tank the fish are in it kills off snails as a side effect (some trap door snails may survive but if you have large snails you want to keep like rabbit, nerite, apple, and mystery remove them prior to treatment.  Its a 3 day treatment then a water change (do huge water change prior to putting large snails back in) wait 1-2 weeks and repeat to get any new hatchlings.  Works great!  fish/plant/shrimp safe.  You get enough you can't use it up before it expires.  Its natrual-made form a specific nut extract.  it does leave a white powder in the tank but the water change gets that out.

Side note: if you plan to keep anubias quarantine for a minimum of 1 month before putting new anubias with existing anubias (if you buy from separate sources at same/similar time keep separate for 1 month).  There is a disease called rhizome rot that is spreadable to other anubias and can wipe out a collection (has happened to me twice!!).  Look for soft spots/discolored rhizome, plant smelling like garbage instead of garden, leaves decomposing fast/stem breaking off at rhizome, and lack of or loss of roots.

Edited by AquaAurora