Sign in to follow this  
Mikey

Merlin Has Dropsy

I was hoping the extra clean water and epsom salt would help, but he hasn't improved from last night so here it goes! 

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0ppm

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm

* Nitrate level(Tank) 5ppm

* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0ppm

* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0pmm

* Nitrate level(Tap) 0ppm

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8 kH: 161ppm gH: 90ppm

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.2/6.4 kH: 0ppm gH: 90ppm

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master Test Kit Drops

* Water temperature? 75.8-76.3 depending on when the heater turns on/off

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallons 6 years

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? SunSun 304hb? it's 525gph with 9 watt uv, AC 70 300 gph

* How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly 80-90%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday 85%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 Goldfish from head to tip of tail ranging from 3-6 inches and my bushy nose pleco about 2-3 inches

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, Baking Soda

* What do you feed your fish and how often? 2-3 times a day, saki hikari purple, nls algaemax, omega once small chiclid pellets

* Any new fish added to the tank? Bushynose pleco around November I want to say

* Any medications added to the tank? No medicine, just Epsom at 1/2tsp per 10 gallons

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. nothing recent, was going to prazi a few rounds soon.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Clouded eye but has been like that for months now

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom sitting, seemed interested in food I think.

I have metro meds that have been opened but I put them in a zip-lock bag since opening them. I unfortunately do not have any pictures and will not be able to get some until around 5 pm tomorrow.

Looks like a lot of food if you feed ALL THOSE 2-3 times a day, that's the only thing I noticed. Probably fed in rotation, though.

In any case, hope your buddy gets to feeling better. Have no experience with dropsy at all :(

Looks like a lot of food if you feed ALL THOSE 2-3 times a day, that's the only thing I noticed. Probably fed in rotation, though.

In any case, hope your buddy gets to feeling better. Have no experience with dropsy at all :(

Out of curiosity why would that be an issue? Giving them variety is actually very good for them. Wouldn't you get tired of eating the same thing 2-3 meals a day? I'll do maybe two different ones one day and switch it up. They don't ever get the same food more than once a day it's always a different food the second or third feeding.

Thank you :hug I've had tons unfortunately. As long as he'll eat his metro mess I think he'll be fine

Slight issue mods. If I do go ahead and QT him, I have no where to put him. The 20 long is being used by the new goldfish in quarantining. The only thing I can think of is to put her in the main tanks nf finish the prazi in there. She's had 18 days of .3% salt (was going to drop to .1% next water change) and one round of double doesed prazi pro. I do not see any parasites coming out of her or anything or ich in her, so would it be best if I finished the other four rounds in the main tank and used the 20 long for Merlin? My guys need some touch up rounds anyway, I see some slime cost chunks on their tails and baby blues is slightly shredded in a few small areas.

Hello! I didn't mean variety, as I give mine a variety too. I meant if you're adding all that in 3 times a day, it may be just too much food. But as I thought, you do it all in rotation. Hopefully Merlin gets to feeling better :)

Oh yes not all at once haha

Thanks Dawn!!

Mikey, you will need to get an emergency tub and go through the typical dropsy routine that you are already familiar with. there's no other option.

I'm just not good with the feeding amount I'll get his weight later tonight :)

Mikey, I'm so sorry to hear Merlin is under the weather.  Sending positive thoughts and healing vibes your way.

RIP Merlin :(:cry

So sorry for your loss Mikey. RIP Merlin.

naaw my love. i am so sorry :( RIP beautiful Merlin  :hug

Oh no :(:k055:

I'm so sorry to hear such sad news.  My condolences, Mikey.  May Merlin rest in peace.

Thanks everyone :grouphug

Edited by Mikey

I'm so sorry Mikey :(

SIP little Merlin :heart

You were loved

I'm sorry for your loss, swim free Merlin :(

I'm so sorry, Mikey.