Sign in to follow this  
jetman73

Heater Recommendation?

I'm looking for a 300W  heater that has an element  that can be completely submerged with a remote temp probe, and preferably an out of tank controller. Has anyone had any long-term success with a brand that fits that criteria.

I'm currently using a 200W eheim heater and I hate it. It's definitely not something I would recommend and I love eheim filters. 

I don't have a recommendation for you, so I'm hoping others will. Why don't you like your eheim heater?

I don't know what kind of heater I have, but its great. Its obviously very old as the lady who sold it to me said, but it works great still and it has an easy dial on the top for adjustments. Its not fancy schmancy, no digital stuff, but I've never had a problem with it and when it does break, I'm going to get another one just like it. I need to see if I can find the brand name. The heater I have stays totally submerged. Its old though.

I use the Aqueon Pro heaters. I like them a lot. They are shatterproof.  

I don't have a recommendation for you, so I'm hoping others will. Why don't you like your eheim heater?

I don't like the adjustment on it and I already don't trust it.

I have heard HORROR STORIES of some brand like MarineLand or marine something having heaters that malfunction and people lost their fish to the water heating up to insane degrees without warning. That's the only brand of heater I totally wouldn't recommend.

I looked up the Aqueon Pro and it only goes up to 250W and with my 200W struggling I decided to pass. I was also looking for a remote adjustment.

I ended up purchasing this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TMMSU2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Does anyone have any experience with the Finnex brands? I've never used one before but the reviews look good and it looks like a well made product.

I looked up the Aqueon Pro and it only goes up to 250W and with my 200W struggling I decided to pass. I was also looking for a remote adjustment.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TMMSU2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Does anyone have any experience with the Finnex brands? I've never used one before but the reviews look good and it looks like a well made product.

Hi Rob. Sorry about the Aqueon heaters. The one you bought looks nice. Hope it works out for you.

No experience with that brand, but I looked at mine very closely and its seemingly an older (and probably weaker) version of this one. Very durable, works great. If the one you bought doesn't work out for you, maybe try this one

http://www.amazon.com/Submersible-Aquarium-300-Watt-Freshwater-Saltwater/dp/B00Y2ODQ4M/ref=lp_13899184011_1_1?srs=13899184011&ie=UTF8&qid=1454808723&sr=8-1

What size tank?  For larger tanks, I prefer 2 smaller heaters vs one large one . . . :idont  That way I can put one on each side of the tank.  If one malfunctions, it's not as powerful as one large one would be and hopefully the other one would shut off.

What size tank?  For larger tanks, I prefer 2 smaller heaters vs one large one . . . :idont  That way I can put one on each side of the tank.  If one malfunctions, it's not as powerful as one large one would be and hopefully the other one would shut off.

It's only a 60 gallon and the 200W can't hold it at 80-82. I will admit that I keep the house at 64 degrees at night :yikes .

I use 2 250 watt Aqueon Pro heaters in Big Boys 125 Gallon tank and it keeps it nice and warm for him. 84 degrees. I also use 2 150 watt Aqueon Pro heaters in my 55 Gallon African Cichlid tank. It keeps it at 84 degress also.

Edited by DawnMichele

I use 2 250 watt Aqueon Pro heaters in Big Boys 125 Gallon tank and it keeps it nice and warm for him. 84 degrees. I also use 2 150 watt Aqueon Pro heaters in my 55 Gallon African Cichlid tank. It keeps it at 84 degress also.

Where are the pictures of your tanks? I've seen the cichlid one and loved it because I've kept Malawi mbuna before. I've never seen your 125.

Where are the pictures of your tanks? I've seen the cichlid one and loved it because I've kept Malawi mbuna before. I've never seen your 125.

This is the 125 Gallon tank

Edited by DawnMichele

So peaceful! Cichlid fish swim sooooo effortlessly. I'm used to seeing discombobulated Ryukin wiggling. Big boy sure has a HUGEEEE home. Looks very nice Dawn. Big hand clap!

So peaceful! Cichlid fish swim sooooo effortlessly. I'm used to seeing discombobulated Ryukin wiggling. Big boy sure has a HUGEEEE home. Looks very nice Dawn. Big hand clap!

Thank you so much Myra!!!! I got him about a year ago and he was 4 inches. He is now 10 inches and getting bigger!!!!!  :yikes

That was great and I had no idea that you keep fish from such differing areas. Your tanks and fish look fantastic.

That was great and I had no idea that you keep fish from such differing areas. Your tanks and fish look fantastic.

Thanks so much Rob!!!!! 

I tend towards precaution with heaters; regardless of brand, it's not a question of if one will malfunction, but when.

This is a great article: http://www.beananimal.com/articles/aquarium-heaters-what-you-need-to-know!.aspx

Basically, use multiple heaters (three or four), and control them with an industrial temp controller like a Ranco. Set the controller to the temp you want, and the individual heaters to slightly above that.

The controller will turn the heaters on and off, but the built in controllers will kick in if it malfunctions.

And with multiple smaller heaters, when one malfunctions it can't cause as much damage.

I use finnex LED light strip on my 40b and haven't had any problems for about 8 months now. Not sure how that relates to their heaters, but their LED lights are great,

I know this is a late response but thought I would add to the information with the heater I love.  I have a 700 gallon pond that I use 2 of the 500 watt heaters in in the winter.  It is covered in a plastic greenhouse/shed type structure.  I love the Catalina Titanium heaters and I see they come in 300 watts as well.  They seem to work very well and I haven't had any problems with them at all.  Here is a link on amazon with some reviews.   http://amzn.com/B000PNFVYC

Hi.

Not sure if this is to late but in my 80 gallon I use a heater controller I got from eBay.  It is an Atc-300, it was pretty inexpensive.

I use it with my Eheim 300w heater.

Keeps everything stable.  Has two plugs.  #1 is for the heater controller and #2 is for a timer like lights.

Has a neat display as the head part of the unit isn't that large.

The display is in celsius and the little temp probe is the one with the white suction cup.

20160304_081604.jpg

20160304_081626.jpg

20160304_081617.jpg

Edited by Eddie