Sign in to follow this  
Phil B.

Things seem to be going downhill fast

Actually I might be imagining it but the swelling might be going down I'd like to give it a day or two to see.

Actually I might be imagining it but the swelling might be going down I'd like to give it a day or two to see.

good to hear :) don't be afraid to massage that area a few more times here and there. it may have helped :)

if you have no QT, we can try to make medicated gelfood for when you decide that you want to try.. if at all :)

Thanks for all your help Helen. I'll report in if there's any change, or I decide to medicate.

if you can post updated pics in the next few days, similar to the one displaying the problem. i am interested to see how the matter is progressing.

Well one things for sure, he doesn't seem to be suffering. He's the first one to reach the food at feeding time. :)

Will do Helen.

wow, that is good improvement for mouth function! he seems to be getting that trap shut, that's for sure. i am really happy to see that. now, to the bulge. it could very well be from infection and over the next few days, i would like you to keep an eye on his bodyshape from top view. if you can remove him into a bowl, feed him something so his busy munching and keeping still, take a top view photo. in a few days, you can do it again and we can compare, but we do need this to refer back to over the next few weeks.

pearlscales will show pineconing or fluid retention (which often comes hand in hand) in one of two ways or both at the same time, like this. one way is to look for small fluid sacks on his body, protruding from between the scales (they usually appear under the lateral line at the lower half of the body), they more or less look like blisters filled with clear fluid. or, the peduncle (which does not have pearls, just normal scales), will thicken and pinecone. top view will show us the peduncle if the fish is still enough and of course any sudden changes in bodyshape where it concerns fluid retention.

I was a bit concerned about stressing him by taking him out of the tank. Would an overhead view in the aquarium work?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6if6ZJpqT6yUTdtdGVXTnpaWm8/view?usp=sharing

If its too distorted I could try again with the filter turned off.

Edited by Phil B.

Oh, I forgot to mention. He's able to close his mouth normally again.

fish looks good in the video and i am so glad that he's able to close his mouth properly again. what about the area for concern, any reduction in that?

Hi, it's still there unfortunately. Everyone continues to be very active. The only problem currently is that my redcap has gone back to ocassionally bottom sitting.

hi Phil, sorry to be a pain, but can i get a new video?

Oh sorry. Sure, I'll do it tomorrow.

It seems to have shrunken somewhat. It's barely noticable from the side, and he continues to be my most energetic fish.

feesh_zpscgyzlzj3.jpg

feesh3_zpslg0hzmo3.jpg

Edited by Phil B.

Glad he is doing better.

At this point,I'm ready to assume that the growth under the chin is just natural growth. It's still there, but he's behaving perfectly normally. Active, and with a healthy appetite.

Many thanks to everyone who helped me through all this.

it may have stretched for whatever the problem was, that was.. and now, it's resolved. there still is a chance that it will go back, but it could take it's time. just be sure to check for any changes every now and again. :)

I'll be keeping an eye on the little piggy Helen. Thanks so much for all your help.