Sign in to follow this  
Phil B.

Things seem to be going downhill fast

Only two days into treatment and everyones feeling much better thanks.

http://vid677.photobucket.com/albums/vv134/pandaphil/MVI_2276_zpsa1tjma7k.mp4

Someone mentioned previously that with salt in the tank I needed to double the dose of PraziPro? Is the same true with only a .01% salt treatment?

goodness! look at those wigglers :wub: good work :)

i mentioned to double dose prazipro at .02% or higher salt. i am confident that at .01% it's fine at the standard dose. however, given the good result you're getting at .01% salt, i would prefer that you take the next step and salt to .02% (and use the double prazi dose also) :)

I'm sure I can guess the answer, but is it normal for my pearlscale's face shape to change during treatment? It seems as if his gills have sunken in, and he has a definite waddle under his chin.

Edited by Phil B.

n

I'm sure I can guess the answer, but is it normal for my pearlscale's face shape to change during treatment? It seems as if his gills have sunken in, and he has a definite waddle under his chin.

not really. do you have any pics of this? before and after photos would be good. also, an overhead shot so that we can see the actual shape of the gill plates.

I'll try and get those to you tomorrow Helen.

One thing I noticed today was a small blob of white between my pearlscales head growths. almost like a bit of peeling skin. I can't imagine it could be any kind of fungus with the double dose of Prazi and salt in the water.

could just be the slimecoat going a bit funky with the increase of salt. please do include that in your photos :)

are they still behaving more active as they were in your last report?

If the gills were flared (because of flukes) before the prazi, and returned to normal position, they might seem "sunken".  

Relax a bit.  

Don't worry, I'm not freaking out. It's kinda what I expected. Just figured I'd mention it. :)

And yes, everyone's up and about and grazing normally.

Glad your Goldfish are doing better!!!

take note of the circled area in both photos.

fish from a few months ago

fish1_zpsocwzbfdw.jpg

fish recently

fish2_zps72tn8bgh.jpg

something funky going on in there that we need to figure out.

i would like you to raise the fish out of the water, tail end first until the entire fish is out. keep the head pointed down. you can do this by either catching the fish into a (transparent works best) tub and raising it out of the tub as mentioned above. or do it in the tank. but do it slowly. let the fish be comfortable in your hand(s) first and then gently/slowly pull it out of the water all the way whilst the head points down. i want you to hold it head lowered out of the water for 5 seconds. take note of the mouth movement when it's out of the water. will the mouth fully close when it's out of the water? will something fall out of the mouth? that kind of thing. 

sounds good. if you're game enough, press on that bump ever so gently and share your thoughts with me. i wonder if the fish either still has or may have had an object lodged in it's throat. when they try to clear their throat, that part flares out with the forceful gill movement they make in order to clear their throat. i wonder if due to that, something may be misaligned in there causing that area to stay locked open.

i have come across very few circumstances where a fish's mouth is locked open, i've been able to resolve a few of those issues. i am hoping some of the techniques may work in this case. one step at a time :)

I lifted him out several times without any reaction other than his going still. His mouth stayed open. Also the lump on his neck felt slightly spongy to the touch.

Oh, and isn't it about time to do a water change?

you can water change. that should be fine,

how do you feel about applying a little more pressure to that neck bit which is flared? see if a little (gentle) force will pop it back into place? can be done in the tank whilst the fish is under water.

Ah darnit, the lights just went out a little while ago. I'll have to wait til morning. I was able to handle him okay after an initial bit of wiggling. But I suppose it could have just been shock.

that's ok. there's no rush. as long as he's able to eat a little bit, there is no immediate rush. i guess what i was wanting to explain now that i have some time up my sleeve is that you massage that area with some careful and gentleness to see if it will force it's way back into position...  you can put some petroleum jelly on your thumb so that when it makes contact in this area, the slime coat does not become stripped as much.

He does seem to have a little trouble biting piece off the gel food block, and spat out the larger Hikari purple pellets. But he was able to handle bite sized chunks of gel, and the tiny algae/kelp pellets.

The lump felt soft, and slightly rubbery. Noting really solid or swollen.

would you like to treat with Metronidazole in case of infection?

Phil I hope your fish feel better soon.  I have watched their progress on here and FB.   :)

Thanks Liz.

Helen - If you think it's a good idea. How safe is it for plants and my cycle? Unfortunately I really don't have a quarantine tank.