Sign in to follow this  
labecs

Cover for Python to avoid sucking up the fish

I'm worried, specially now that I got little ones. Has anybody DIYed a grate or something to avoid sucking up the fish?

U use a filter media Sponge, allow water to still pass through the sponge with out other fish suffering from the suction that still exists with larger mesh and panty hose

I thought of that, but doesn't that stop the suctioning of bigger debris pieces like food or big poops?

I tried that and found that it did keep the big debris from coming out with the suction. After my last siphon accident, I now take all the littles and fish with accident prone eyes out of my tank before I clean and put them back in after. It's a bit of a hassle, but less so than someone getting hurt (for me anyways). 

I use panty hose. For debris removal I use airline tubing which is small and powerful, I just syphon with that into a bucket and no fish is going to get caught. So pythons are then for water changing only.

I use plastic netting with large holes to get any debris out while still keeping my babies safe from getting sucked into the python

Edited by Cdionne77

I dont use anything when I first start I stand at the tank moving my end around to get larger stuff out.  When that is done I put a net over the end to finish removing water.

I use plastic netting with large holes, like the stuff you get oranges in. 

I thought of that, but doesn't that stop the suctioning of bigger debris pieces like food or big poops?

i actually clean the bigger debris with out the sponge first that way I can stay away from the fish or they move out of the way... Then after I have basically vacuumed their floor I put the media sponge on and leave it in tank while rest of water in siphoned out. Sorry I didn't clarify that in my first response. Edited by Joshua's Goldies

Here is a thread a sent to a friend who had never used a python/aquaneon water changer:

b453c03bba57418fcb72a3f12ad410af.jpg

I first suck out all the poop and large debris with no filter sponge on the end.

df849c5a18a1c9e0d73f39321126eac3.jpgd43f695700828fab044e78d0b1dd4e59.jpg

Then I hold the filter sponge on end tightly and wrap rubber band around tip.

ceeb9b6095f93cb53517af9bd6d6438f.jpg

Then place it in the water and my fish generally stay away from it, but if I leave the room while the water finishes draining if the suction were to draw them closer to the pipe and they got stuck the cushion of the filter sponge would keep them from injury.

8b082c065051b0fc438160c4daea617b.jpg

After I remove 80-90% of the water, I add my prime water conditioner directly to tank and refill making sure temp from the tap is the same as the tank water.

bd2ef20c1fe733c137e168ed1b417ed6.jpg

And done!!!

Thank you!!