Sign in to follow this  
labecs

Would you feed Hex Shield during the quarantine?

Hi, guys...

As some of you know I had to put Valentino to sleep this morning, and later I went to PetSmart to return some stuff I had bought, and saw two little ryukins I liked, and brought them home. I know... It's PetSmart... but I can't afford to get another one from Rain Garden after I lost two from there this month, so since I have the extra tank set up, I'll take my chances and see if I can bring them up to be strong healthy goldies.

I already cleaned the tank, salted it and added Prazi.  But I have a whole jar of Hex Shield for parasites left over, and it occurred to me I could  treat them for parasites while they are in quarantine... is it smart?  Is it done?

Here is a good article on quarantine procedure that may be of help to you. It should answer a lot of questions for you, and I'm sure someone else will come along to help as well. 
http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/114492-how-to-quarantine-new-fish/

Edited by goldfishgirl82

Sorry, edited the above.

Realized my post may not have been what you were asking. But, good article to have on hand anyways. 

Edited by goldfishgirl82

Here is a good article on quarantine procedure that may be of help to you. It should answer a lot of questions for you, and I'm sure someone else will come along to help as well. 

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/114492-how-to-quarantine-new-fish/

Yep, first thing I read. I have a nice qt tank with filter, heater, cycled etc... Thanks!

Some people use Hex Shield or another food with Metronidazole during a new fish quarantine.  If you do, feed it twice a day (per the directions) for 14 days with no interruptions.  Do it while you are treating with the Prazi as is a good way to stave off the internal infections that often accompany flukes.

Some people use Hex Shield or another food with Metronidazole during a new fish quarantine.  If you do, feed it twice a day (per the directions) for 14 days with no interruptions.  Do it while you are treating with the Prazi as is a good way to stave off the internal infections that often accompany flukes.

14 full days? Okay... No other food? 

They're tiny... about an inch (body) plus tail.

I actually got a Ryukin and a Gold Oranda... (I wanted to take the other Ryukin and for some reason I thought I got him, but I didn't. Lol! I have the tank covered so I forgot...   where's my head???

Sorry, one more question besides my original question...  I know I read it somewhere but now I can't find it.

I am starting to get the salt slowly up to 3%. I have it at 1% right now. And I added PraziPro.

When I do the 50% WC tomorrow, I know to add the salt I took out, plus some more to get to 2%, but do I add more Prazi?

I wouldn't.

You wouldn't feed the Hex at all, or not for 14 days?

You mean 0.3% and not 3%, correct?

14 full days? Okay... No other food? 

They're tiny... about an inch (body) plus tail.

I actually got a Ryukin and a Gold Oranda... (I wanted to take the other Ryukin and for some reason I thought I got him, but I didn't. Lol! I have the tank covered so I forgot...   where's my head???

Yes, and no other food.  14 days is the standard length of treatment for Metronidazole.  Again, you don't "need" to use the Hex Shield.  It is a matter of preference whether to use it as part of a "new fish" quarantine.  It should definitely not be used frequently or as a maintenance food.

Edited by Jared

Sorry, one more question besides my original question...  I know I read it somewhere but now I can't find it.

I am starting to get the salt slowly up to 3%. I have it at 1% right now. And I added PraziPro.

When I do the 50% WC tomorrow, I know to add the salt I took out, plus some more to get to 2%, but do I add more Prazi?

Yes, you should replace the salt and prazi with however much water you remove. 

I wouldn't.

You wouldn't feed the Hex at all, or not for 14 days?

At all, unless the fish showed symptoms that would be treated by the product.  

You mean 0.3% and not 3%, correct?

Yes.... sorry.